Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Administrator
Re: IMMT vs IMLP [Fresh2death] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fresh2death wrote:
I have done Lake Placid three years in a row and will be doing Mont Tremblant for the first time this year. Has anyone done both races and have any input on how they compare? According to the Ironman website IMMT bike has quite a bit less elevation gain and the run is similar. However, I know sometimes a number says one thing but the actual feel of the course can be a little different. Also, how did your times compare? Is IMMT a faster course for most people? Thanks for the info!

Difficulty: IMLP > IMMT

Surprised that is states run course elevation is the same but MT's run is much more enjoyable, some rollers at the start but mostly flat/false flat on a nice trail. As far as bike course, they are I think more comparable than the run but the fact that you go downhill on Duplessis after going up it give you a bit more time to get your legs ready for a run than just ending loop 2 with the 3 bears.

Venue: IMMT > IMLP

You get poutine and chocolate milk at the finish line.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, Lake Placid is easier. Except the swim but that's only because Placid is just about the easiest swim possible. Although with the 2 loops it can get pretty crowded on the second lap. MT can get more chop since it's just bigger but it shouldn't be an issue, and it's kind of nice to have a one-loop swim instead of 2. The bike in MT is easier and faster for sure. Some of the climbs on that end portion of Duplessis are steeper I think than anything in Placid, but that whole section is relatively short. There are long sections where you can just cruise in aero, and the pavement is much smoother for much more of the course than Placid.

The runs I think are somewhat similar, minus again that long, painful, steep hill at miles 11 and 24. A few hills on the course in MT but nothing too bad. Time-wise I think these 2 are about equal on the run. I will say though running on that narrow path in MT can get pretty crowded at times, yet also pretty lonely since there aren't any spectators down there. But in Placid there aren't a lot of spectators out on River Road anyway so that won't be a change.

They're definitely somewhat similar, and the other thing I really like about both is that everything is really centrally located and if you get a hotel right there you don't have to worry about driving or parking anywhere. If you like Lake Placid I think you will LOVE MT.
Last edited by: Emzee: Jul 7, 19 17:24
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT vs IMLP [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both great races.

Both lake swims. LP has a lot more congestion as a double loop. I prefer a single loop swim.

I guess MT is an easier bike course, but that last out and back at MT is a real grind, especially the second time around. That noted, LP’s highway back to town is a slog too.

A lot of the running at MT is on bike paths, so it gets a little congested. LP has that steep hill entering town. It wouldn’t have a place in a normal road race, but it is iconic at LP, I suppose.

I prefer LP as a venue. It is a historic American town, with plenty of good restaurants, hotels, shops, etc. There is nothing wrong with MT, but it is a planned and contrived ski area village—not really an organically grown alpine village.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fresh2death wrote:
I have done Lake Placid three years in a row and will be doing Mont Tremblant for the first time this year. Has anyone done both races and have any input on how they compare? According to the Ironman website IMMT bike has quite a bit less elevation gain and the run is similar. However, I know sometimes a number says one thing but the actual feel of the course can be a little different. Also, how did your times compare? Is IMMT a faster course for most people? Thanks for the info!

Bringing this thread back to life.

How was IMMT? I did IMLP this year and it kicked my ass, for various reasons. I am intending on doing IMMT in 2020, would love to hear how your race was today and how you compare the iMLP experience to IMMT.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT vs IMLP [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done both. LP twice. Tremblant I think is slightly easier in a way that you can shave 5 mins off the bike and probably 10 off the run vs Placid. Swims very similar in my opinion. Maybe Tremblant a bit faster since it’s a single loop and you don’t have to come out of the water. Both absolutely great venues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both a few times (LP 6 and MT 2)

LP is distinctively harder on the bike. And most years you should expect a head wind coming back in to town which can make the second lap 8-10 mins slower even holding steady watts from lap 1. This year was a good example of that.

If you had no wind on either course I would expect your bike split at LP to be min 10 min slower than MT and potentially closer to 20+ if there was wind per above which you should expect.

LP swim is very very easy with the cable to follow and rolling start albeit MT is not that hard either assuming light winds.

The LP run has steeper ups/downs but I find it not to be any slower just more slower sections. If you do not run down hills well than LP would be a slower run but I'd guess times to be quite similar on a like for like day condition wise.

Using my experience at both times for a say 10hr ironman person, I'd say the avg time diff would be 15mins slower for IMLP overall vs IMMT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done both- lp 7x, mt 5x. Both excellent races. Swim- lp is faster, but mt is more relaxing with a one loop swim. Bike- lp is technically harder, but the last 20k of each loop at mt is no joke. I got sick of the highway at mt....find lp a little more scenic and mentally easier to break into sections. Run- comparable in difficulty....lp has longer ups and downs the first/last 5k and rollers on River Rd, Mt has short steep hills the first/last 5k of each loop and is on a false flat bike path in the middle. I prefer lp town as it is a real village, mt is a made-up ski resort. Lodging is way more plentiful and less expensive in mt....way more! If you have young kids, mt is the winner...lots of activities for them while you are racing. Quebec is very supportive of the event...locals at lp can be hit or miss. You can't go wrong with either venue and if you have done lp, def give mt a try....obviously, we love both as we have done each several times. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: IMMT vs IMLP [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canuck1 and charlietris, great takes, thank you!

I signed up for IMMT today, really looking forward to it!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both and I live an hour form LP. I love IMMT I think the bike course is similar (the roads are smoother!) The run course is easier. The atmosphere is great I just got back from volunteering this year and will be competing again next year with my daughter. The swim course is nice and flat(haha). I love the fact My hotel room is 100 meters from the finish. Mind you a long 100meters after finishing!
Quote Reply