Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMLP Volunteering
Quote | Reply
So I'm thinking strongly about volunteering for IM Lake Placid in July, driving up from Rhode Island. It doesn't interfere with local races, and I would probably arrive on Friday afternoon.

Since I come from a bike background, I was thinking of the following jobs: bike check-in on Saturday, bike lot Sunday, or ??? I've never participated in or volunteered at an Ironman....I just enjoy triathlon and race locally, so I don't know what to expect from a volunteer standpoint at a major race.

Anyone wish to comment on my job choices, or what to expect from the best jobs? I would like to help and be in the midst of the activities, but I would also like to have time to just be a spectator. All comments welcome.

Thanks,

Keith
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Volunteering [pezdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Volunteering is a lot of fun. Go for it. There are a lot of jobs. Even traffic control on the bike course is a lot of fun since you get a real flavor of the race.

It is hard to wrong with different jobs, unless you get stuck with the changing tent.

Go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have volunteered for bike check-in in FL and Kona and it's great! Being a bike geek makes it even more fun. I like having race day free to spectate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was a volunteer for the first two years of IMLP..fantastic event. Tried my hand at a few different areas...if you want to be near the bikes be a bike hander/taker...right in the thick of it all...if you want to have a blast and get to watch the event go for wetsuit peeler. Whatever you choose to do..go for it...athletes (for the most part) are very appreciative of whatever you do and you can get no closer to the pros (try handing Barry Bonds his bat before going on deck). Thinking of making the pilgrimage again this year and maybe signing up for next years event after it's all over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've volunteered at LP for the past two years at the finish line catching up people, it was a GREAT experience! Got to share the best stories of struggle and victories from the finishers, highly recommend. I believe they have 2 or 3 shifts and you can start helping when the pros come in or later. I got to see my friends all day long and then went to the finish line to help out. This year I'm competing...

----------

“You can't coach desire.” --Dathan Ritzenhein
http://xtreme4.com/ -- an extreme ride for extreme change: go green
Last edited by: audentia: Mar 16, 04 19:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a lot of fun with bike check in and check out at IMFL. Check out, for most of the night we had enough people that you could wander over and watch people finish for a while. (we did have one big hour long rush where everyone was trying to retrieve their bike) Many chances to look at the pretty, pretty bikes, had fun talking with the other volunteers, and we even got to play a couple of rounds of "is it puke or Powerbar on that top tube?"

Don't worry, IM will provide you with your very own rubber gloves if you're touching bikes or finishers. (and you will probably want to wear them) We also got very nice t-shirts, all the bottled water and Sam's soda we wanted, and pizza.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Volunteering [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, I'm convinced. Thanks for the insight.

And I promise not to drop your bikes if you throw them at me....;-)

Best of luck to the registrants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Doc,

I volunteered in 2001 doing bodymarking. Early start to the day, but it will free you up to watch the event through the day. Not to mention the chance to meet some pros.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Volunteering [WJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually thought of bodymarking, but that and Peelers are already filled for volunteers.

I assume those might be the two most popular jobs.
Quote Reply