Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMChatt Water and Intel
Quote | Reply
I will be doing IMChatt at the end of Sept. Wondering if there are any pointers that can be had but also what everyone thinks the possibility is of the swim being wetsuit legal or should I also get my hands on a swim skin?
Quote Reply
Re: IMChatt Water and Intel [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race in 2017, it was wetsuit optional. Yes get a speedskin. The water was fast, I "swam" 20 mins faster than normal (i.e. other Ironman)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cptnemo wrote:
I will be doing IMChatt at the end of Sept. Wondering if there are any pointers that can be had but also what everyone thinks the possibility is of the swim being wetsuit legal or should I also get my hands on a swim skin?

How fast a swimmer are you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious about goggle choice when it comes to swims, specifically the sun being a factor. I prefer to race in clear goggles as they work better for me. Any issues w/ sun?

thanks, tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be very rare for this race to be wetsuit legal. Of the 70.3s and IMs in Chatt, only Worlds and IM last year have been wetsuits races, due to rainfall and a cooler summer. My reco would be to invest in a swim skin. Last year around this time, ROKA had some great sales and I got one for about 50% off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 70.3 this spring and I think the course is pretty much the same. I believe you swim a bit further upstream but then benefit from more downstream to the swim exit. I’ve only done one other half previous and swam a 36:##. At Chatty 70.3 I “swam” 27:##. It’s insanly fast. So taking 20 minutes off in a full is not out of the question. It was wetsuit legal in May but I would imagine it won’t be for the full.
Talking to the locals and athletes that have done Chatty before. The current all depends on the weather and rain in the week leading up to it. The can regulate it further upstream so if there’s lots of rain. Expect a faster swim. If it’s been dry it may be slower but regardless it’s fast.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: IMChatt Water and Intel [milkmaid1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

milkmaid1982 wrote:
It would be very rare for this race to be wetsuit legal. Of the 70.3s and IMs in Chatt, only Worlds and IM last year have been wetsuits races, due to rainfall and a cooler summer. My reco would be to invest in a swim skin. Last year around this time, ROKA had some great sales and I got one for about 50% off.

Incorrect - every Choo 70.3 has been wetsuit legal.

1 of 3 IMChoo's have been wetsuit legal - the race is also a week later this year than all previous ones - not sure if that will make it legal but it may help.
Quote Reply
Re: IMChatt Water and Intel [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
I did 70.3 this spring and I think the course is pretty much the same. I believe you swim a bit further upstream but then benefit from more downstream to the swim exit. I’ve only done one other half previous and swam a 36:##. At Chatty 70.3 I “swam” 27:##. It’s insanly fast. So taking 20 minutes off in a full is not out of the question. It was wetsuit legal in May but I would imagine it won’t be for the full.
Talking to the locals and athletes that have done Chatty before. The current all depends on the weather and rain in the week leading up to it. The can regulate it further upstream so if there’s lots of rain. Expect a faster swim. If it’s been dry it may be slower but regardless it’s fast.

Good luck

no swimming against current in full. all with current.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is just a rumor, but I heard that a beachball floating in the water made the cutoff.
Quote Reply
Re: IMChatt Water and Intel [milkmaid1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkmaid1982 wrote:

When I did the IM last year it was wetsuit optional. I believe it was wetsuit legal in 2016. I think the IM may be a week later than usual this year, so that may make it more likely that it will be wetsuit legal than past years. Also, this Summer is my 27th Summer living in the southeast and the coolest I can ever remember, so that could be a factor
Quote Reply
Re: IMChatt Water and Intel [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iron Dukie wrote:
milkmaid1982 wrote:

When I did the IM last year it was wetsuit optional. I believe it was wetsuit legal in 2016. I think the IM may be a week later than usual this year, so that may make it more likely that it will be wetsuit legal than past years. Also, this Summer is my 27th Summer living in the southeast and the coolest I can ever remember, so that could be a factor

Nope. Wetsuit optional in 2016 as well.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much to add except that I'd suggest a swim skin. It's been such a hot summer that I doubt it'll be wetsuit legal, even with the slightly later date. You could always opt to wear one anyway and start at the back, but be careful about overheating.

The strength of the current will depend on rainfall the days preceding the race, as it's dictated by the flow through the dam. It's an easy swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has been wetsuit optional every year. It has never been wetsuit legal. I doubt it will be wetsuit legal this year either. As far as goggles and sunshine, don't worry about any sun in your eyes. You swim early and you swim away from the sun. Great venue for an IM, have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: IMChatt Water and Intel [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, but oddly the 70.3WC there on Sept 10 last year was wetsuit legal. So there's a chance, albeit remote, especially given this year's heat.
Quote Reply
Re: IMChatt Water and Intel [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Cptnemo wrote:

I have done my last two 70.3's in 28min both of these were wetsuit legal but in freshwater lakes. I have a sleeved kiwami spider suit that I will be racing in. Or would a speed skin and sleeveless be more effective?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cptnemo wrote:
mickison wrote:
Cptnemo wrote:

I have done my last two 70.3's in 28min both of these were wetsuit legal but in freshwater lakes. I have a sleeved kiwami spider suit that I will be racing in. Or would a speed skin and sleeveless be more effective?

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know. I'm a slow swimmer and if you were a slow swimmer I was going to say a speed skin probably wouldn't be a big difference. I guess it might be worth it if you're aiming for a podium spot
Quote Reply
Re: IMChatt Water and Intel [ChandlerMyles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, it was a potato chip bag.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: IMChatt Water and Intel [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
Nope, it was a potato chip bag.

I'm very excited for a downhill swim.
I don't even care if the potato chip bag beats me as long as I beat my previous IM swims :)
Quote Reply
Re: IMChatt Water and Intel [MtnBikerChk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What the swim giveth, the run taketh away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any recommendations of a swim skin? I know Roka has a strong following. Has anyone swam in Kiwamis swimskin? Anyone have one for sale? 5'11" 190#'s
Quote Reply
Re: IMChatt Water and Intel [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:

And then some. I'd exchange a no current swim for a flatter run course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
mbwallis wrote:

I know there is some good elevation on the run. How bad are the hills? I have been doing some hill training among other things to be ready for the run, just trying to get a good mental mindset on what to expect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cptnemo wrote:
mickison wrote:
mbwallis wrote:

I know there is some good elevation on the run. How bad are the hills? I have been doing some hill training among other things to be ready for the run, just trying to get a good mental mindset on what to expect.

I would say very challenging. I don't have a comparison to other IM races but Chattanooga was a hard run. 2 loops so you hit the hills twice. It's happens once you cross over the river onto Barton Avenue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Cptnemo wrote:
mickison wrote:
mbwallis wrote:

I would say very challenging. I don't have a comparison to other IM races but Chattanooga was a hard run. 2 loops so you hit the hills twice. It's happens once you cross over the river onto Barton Avenue.

Good to know. I think I will have to get a short day trip over there to check out the run course in the next month or so.
Quote Reply