Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [mrw42976] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A whistler sellout will benifit Pentictons race

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakerfan wrote:
I will be the first to admit if I'm wrong, but let's define sell-out as 3,000 registered, not as WTC declaring a "sell-out" with 2000-2500 registered just for marketing purposes as a challenge to Challenge. Subtacting out the folks going with Pentincton, they've got to find a lot of folks with an open hole in their calendar for late in the year. The 100 Kona slots will help, but they only attract a small percentage of the field. Sell out or not, the number of Kona slots will probably drop to 50 the following year.

I'll save my comments for after Thurs.

Yes, we all know Kona slots will go down in 2014. And this belief that Kona slots attract a small percentage of the field is ridiculous. I know tons of people who are at least an hour or more away from qualifying but they do WTC events for the Kona slots. I've had this discussion over and over again with so many people ever since IMC. Right now I know way more people who want to do WTC races because of the Kona slots than I know people who are willing to do events like Challenge. There's a fair number of people who seem to have this inability to look at the Kona influence from a more holistic perspective. It's not just about people who *know* they can qualify.

I totally agree with you about the Kona slots. I think a LOT of people on registration day think they have a shot at a spot. Come race day most don't. And if you've already done a number of WTC ironman and you think you might some day get to 12 completions and therefore qualify for the legacy lottery, then you'll probably go with WTC over Challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
  • Temperatures: Tremblant (well at least for me....hate cold water)

You ever been to Whistler in the Summer, Dev?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I signed up yesterday for Ironman Canada. I loved the Penticton course but the monopoly the town has on the event is far over reaching. For all those that say WTC is greedy I couldn't disagree more. It was the businesses in Penticton that were greedy wanting a 7 day event vs a 5 day event. Last time I did Ironman Canada I stayed at the days in. You can rent the room I was in for $65 a night any day of the week. But we had to pay $259 a night. I just booked my whistler room it is 2 bedroom with kitchen 625 sqft for $179 a night. Nice job WTC.

As for the sell out I believe it will be wrapped up by this weekend.
Last edited by: caveAllen: Oct 17, 12 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to this thread:

Khai, been to Whistler 4 times in August (usually at the end after doing IMC). I just find that Tremblant constently has better weather.

In terms of sellout, I give this 2 days max.

Impact of sellout on Penticton is positive. As soon as Whistler sells out and people can't get in, many will go back to Penticton. Right now many potential Penticton sign ups are waiting on the sidelines to see if they get into Whistler

Impact of Kona slots is huge. Forget about registration day. On race day there are still probably 1000 people who think they have a chance at Kona and halfway into the bike there are still 500 who think they have a shot at Kona and by T2 there are still 400 guys doing the math thinking they have a 50/50 chance. By the run turnaround there are still 200-300 feeling they have a chance.....then with 6 miles to go, it is basically around 100 folks fighting for the 50 slots. So yes, way more than 1000 people BELIEVE they have a shot at Kona. I'm always one of those 1000 and in 21 WTC Ironmans I have only qualified for Kona through rolldown twice....yet I keep believing that I might do it again. I'd say that thinking is the majority of sign ups, not the minority. Even the 14.5 hour guy is thinking that if he puts a good winter of training in, he will lose weight, gain fitness and be a 9:50 guy. Not neccessarily realistic, but as long as people keep dreaming and believing then the draw will be there.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see some comments on weather, and that the water temp will be fine. But what are the avg daily temps in late August? I for one would like a "cooler" IM race. Say, upper 60s/lower 70s as the high. Seems like Whistler will be cooler, maybe not that cool though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Replying to this thread:

Impact of Kona slots is huge. Forget about registration day. On race day there are still probably 1000 people who think they have a chance at Kona and halfway into the bike there are still 500 who think they have a shot at Kona and by T2 there are still 400 guys doing the math thinking they have a 50/50 chance. By the run turnaround there are still 200-300 feeling they have a chance.....then with 6 miles to go, it is basically around 100 folks fighting for the 50 slots. So yes, way more than 1000 people BELIEVE they have a shot at Kona. I'm always one of those 1000 and in 21 WTC Ironmans I have only qualified for Kona through rolldown twice....yet I keep believing that I might do it again. I'd say that thinking is the majority of sign ups, not the minority. Even the 14.5 hour guy is thinking that if he puts a good winter of training in, he will lose weight, gain fitness and be a 9:50 guy. Not neccessarily realistic, but as long as people keep dreaming and believing then the draw will be there.

Dev

I agree 100% I always think I am one stomach flu taking out 50% of the competition away from KONA :)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Bogusdogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bogusdogs wrote:
I see some comments on weather, and that the water temp will be fine. But what are the avg daily temps in late August? I for one would like a "cooler" IM race. Say, upper 60s/lower 70s as the high. Seems like Whistler will be cooler, maybe not that cool though.

According to Whistler's climate chart
August
22°C / 72°F 13°C / 55°F
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [caveAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caveAllen wrote:
Bogusdogs wrote:

According to Whistler's climate chart
August
22°C / 72°F 13°C / 55°F

30-year average Environment Canada climate normals for Whistler
http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/...nth1=0&month2=12

for Aug:
average temp: 16.1 C (61 F)
ave daily max: 22.9 C (73 F)
ave daily min: 8.6 C (47 F)

Also keep in mind race day is last weekend in Aug and the averages for September are about 4 C cooler.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [JRSL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for th info!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Priority Registration into the 2013 IRONMAN Canada ends tomorrow at 11 A.M. (PDT)!

As a reminder, priority registration will close tomorrow, Thursday, October 18 at 11:00 A.M. (PDT). Slots are going quickly, so we urge you to register as soon as possible to guarantee your entry into the 31st edition of IRONMAN Canada! Entries are being sold on a first-come, first-served basis and although you selected to receive priority registration, your entry is not guaranteed. The entry fee is $625.00 CAD (plus HST and Active.com fees). Should you not complete your priority registration during this time, you may register when entries are available to the general public at Noon (PDT) on Thursday, October 18. To complete your registration, please follow the instructions below: :

1. Click on http://www.active.com/framed/event_detail.cfm?event_id=2054569
2. Select “Register Now”
3. Check all waivers
4. Pick your name from the drop down box
5. Enter your athlete password: (your eight digit birthday with no spaces - MMDDYYYY)
6. Complete your registration
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [swimbikerunfun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sold out yet, (4:30 EST) and only $625

Interesting
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Not sold out yet, (4:30 EST) and only $625

Interesting

Plus HST (12%) and Active.com mandatory 'wrong-holing' fees. I bet they don't take the time to issue HST refunds for non-Canadian residents either. On that note, I would like to point out that Lifetime Fitness went out of their way to issue us US$12 refunds for our USAT fees paid for the Leadman Tri. Classy move!

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [otto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was traveling through the Nevada on my motor bike a few years ago and while at a gas station a American tourist noticed my BC license plate and said to me "Jesus was born in Bethlehem but God was born in Whistler...". Whistler is truly a beautiful and remarkable place and as such, I suspect IMC 2013 will eventually sell out.

Dev seemed to prefer Tremblant based on his comparison post but I too have been to both and note that (IMO) Whistler is far superior.

It is interesting to note that the 2 week mountain bike Crankworx festival ends the Sunday before IMC week starts - it will be three weeks of cycling events in Whistler.

ItsAGoodLifeIfYouTriIt
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Mr X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr X wrote:
I was traveling through the Nevada on my motor bike a few years ago and while at a gas station a American tourist noticed my BC license plate and said to me "Jesus was born in Bethlehem but God was born in Whistler...". Whistler is truly a beautiful and remarkable place and as such, I suspect IMC 2013 will eventually sell out.

Dev seemed to prefer Tremblant based on his comparison post but I too have been to both and note that (IMO) Whistler is far superior.

It is interesting to note that the 2 week mountain bike Crankworx festival ends the Sunday before IMC week starts - it will be TWO weeks of A BADASS cycling event, PLUS A WEEK OF POINTY HELMET WEARING, BAD CYCLISTS TAKING OVER THE ROADS in Whistler.

There, fixed it for you. ;)

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - Altitude [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the elevation from the base to the peak went from 2K feet to over 5K feet? Will altitude be an issue in Whistler?

Thanks,
GS
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [otto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont you have to apply to get your hst back? I am annoyed about 12% since Gst is only 5% here.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Dont you have to apply to get your hst back? I am annoyed about 12% since Gst is only 5% here.

Well, you can bank on it not selling out before April 2013, and try to register then. I think that is when the HST rolls back to PST & GST. This province is sooooo stupid!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mr X wrote:
It is interesting to note that the 2 week mountain bike Crankworx festival ends the Sunday before IMC week starts - it will be three weeks of cycling events in Whistler.

With the GranFondo two weeks after IMC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mr X wrote:

No I did not say I prefer Tremblant.

I prefer the resort of Whistler but I THINK the RACE at Tremblant will be better at least for this first year in Whistler. Then after that I don't know.

Right now we are comparing vaporware to a real product. Vaporware always wins conceptually, but I'd rather wait till we are comparing two products, and generally like most of my customers, I'd rather hang my hat on real product until vaporware materializes into the real thing. Then we can compare them head to head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't want to commit to race 10 months from now, in the past I have always qualified for a spot at a summer 1/2 IM, does anyone know if there will be spots at 1/2 IM or independent races like there have been in the past. Do other IM North America races have spots at 1/2 IM races?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, that system no longer exists! You may be stuck going to Louisville!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakerfan wrote:
Yes, we all know Kona slots will go down in 2014. And this belief that Kona slots attract a small percentage of the field is ridiculous. I know tons of people who are at least an hour or more away from qualifying but they do WTC events for the Kona slots. I've had this discussion over and over again with so many people ever since IMC. Right now I know way more people who want to do WTC races because of the Kona slots than I know people who are willing to do events like Challenge. There's a fair number of people who seem to have this inability to look at the Kona influence from a more holistic perspective. It's not just about people who *know* they can qualify.

This is bang on.

Grant

Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Forsler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure they will get enough people to sign up eventually, but I bet it will take a bit of time. I bet they are more worried about volunteers than anything. A lot of people in the town are 'transient' and not long time residents. It might be hard to pull enough volunteers from a relatively small population in a place that has no shortage of events. If I am the Grand Fondo, I don't think I would share my volunteer list with the two events only a couple weeks apart.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We will be involved on the timing side for sure for Whislter, looking forward to this new Ironman event.
Quote Reply

Prev Next