Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or .. just blow of the swim and hang back. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You doing the Low - High? (Cabo-Whistler).....or just getting "high" in 2013? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:
Aqua Man wrote:
Well, you were half right.

Yeah, it depends though on perspective. I don't think the new IMC sold out fast though. It does have Kona slots which are the holy grail for a lot of people. Also the Challenge Races are an unknown entity for most North American athletes. If the shoe was on the other foot and it Was Challenge Whistler I doubt many folks would be talking about what a great course it's going to etc.

The real question will be what happens when IMC moves it's date (2014?) and just how determined the Challenge people are to stay in the Western hemisphere market. (Very, I'd hazard a guess). There's certainly plenty of room for everyone and personally I'm looking for to CP and wave starts.

Aloha.

Actually I think it is a very few people who are signing up for the Kona slots at any IM whether it is 50 or 100 available. It is a very, very small percentage of the field, they know who they are and choose their races accordingly. Whistler is sold out mainly because of the venue but I agree, "Challenge Whistler" wouldn't have quite the pull.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:

Yes, there is always that =)

Realistically though, it looks like it will be a pretty narrow starting area, especially for a few thousand of your closest friends. Not sure where on earth one would be able to position themselves to avoid complete mayhem for the first loop!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Realistically though, it looks like it will be a pretty narrow starting area, especially for a few thousand of your closest friends. Not sure where on earth one would be able to position themselves to avoid complete mayhem for the first loop!

In Penticton. :P

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
KonaCoffee wrote:

First row or two and swim sub-60 with a 2:30ish first 200m? I guess for us mere mortals it's going to be fun.

Has anyone confirmed that there is actually 2800 registered? The only articles I can find say between 2000 - 2500?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2800 would have been about the old IMC numbers. No clue really if they are limiting it to a lower number at the new location. Though given WTC's inclination to squeeze every possible drop of revenue, I'd doubt it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:
2800 would have been about the old IMC numbers. No clue really if they are limiting it to a lower number at the new location. Though given WTC's inclination to squeeze every possible drop of revenue, I'd doubt it.

I thought they were looking to cap entries at 3000. Can't remember where I saw that though. Taking into account those who back out for injury or other reasons, I think it usually winds up being about 2800ish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
KonaCoffee wrote:

That was one of my concerns about that swim course from the beginning. It'll be interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Squeak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My strategy will be to swim the first 200 metres balls to the wall and pull away to avoid the preordained chaos. First 100m 1:05, next 1:10, fall in pace 1:12.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

In Penticton. :P

But, then they can't get a tattoo. This has been covered, nobody knows what a Challenge tattoo would look like. ;)

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great strategy. I think it will also be used by those who normally swim 2:00 100m splits. They will empty the gas tank and start breaststroking as the pack begins to overtake them.

A couple of my friends (who aren't such great swimmers) do the opposite. They stand on the beach until they risk being called spectators and then follow the pack relatively free of danger. Doesn't make for great swim splits, but they happen to have really good bike and run splits.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Squeak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True ... the difference is I'm used to doing those kind of efforts. I suspect I will be lapping a few.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Squeak wrote:
That's a great strategy. I think it will also be used by those who normally swim 2:00 100m splits. They will empty the gas tank and start breaststroking as the pack begins to overtake them.

A couple of my friends (who aren't such great swimmers) do the opposite. They stand on the beach until they risk being called spectators and then follow the pack relatively free of danger. Doesn't make for great swim splits, but they happen to have really good bike and run splits.

Except us 2:00/100 swimmers couldn't do a 1:10 if we were being chanced by a shark.....

I've never seen alta lake or rainbow park. Can anyone who has actually seen the beach and park comment on it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
Squeak wrote:

Except us 2:00/100 swimmers couldn't do a 1:10 if we were being chanced by a shark.....

I've never seen alta lake or rainbow park. Can anyone who has actually seen the beach and park comment on it.

I've not seen Alta lake ..... but if you google map it you'll see its size .... compare it to Mirror lake at Placid and you'll see it is much larger than Mirror lake which is small but has obviously worked OK for a long time at IMLP.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
Squeak wrote:

Yes, I swim at Rainbow Park every summer. There is quite a large grassy area that should be big enough for T1 bike racks and some extra room for mingling. The beach itself will be OK for swim entrance as long as athletes seed themselves properly. There won't be any beach front for spectators so they will be on the grassy area behind the beach. It will be crowded but doable.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
My strategy will be to swim the first 200 metres balls to the wall and pull away to avoid the preordained chaos. First 100m 1:05, next 1:10, fall in pace 1:12.

You and me both. Except by first 100m at 1:05, I mean probably more like 1:15-1:20, and by fall in pace of 1:12 I mean more like 1:25-1:27 :). As for pulling away from the chaos, I suspect I won't be able to do that. But I hope I'll be closer to the pointy end of things then the large thrashing swarm that is the MOP of a mass swim. What is MOP time for IM anyways?

With your swim, you will be way out in front out of t1. You going for the AG win? What kind of time are you hoping for?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think MOP time is 1:05-1:20...

On that note, time to throw myself in a pool so I can beat the pack up to the Callaghan traffic jam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe... sub 50 would be a realistic time for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:

interesting ;) turning on the anaerobic engine at the start of a 9+h day!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its fast by tri standards but not fast enough to kill me or anything. My 5 k PR is 57 minutes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a 2:00/100 type too. I'm starting to get a complex. Maybe we should just call ourselves 1:00/50 swimmers. That sounds faster...doesn't it?

I have a friend that use to live in Whistler, and he says Alta Lake is small. You guys are all gonna get nutted at the buoys. Have fun with that. I'll be having a leisurely swim at Challenge followed by a nice ride to Richters!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [triathlung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not worried.

Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Back to the OP question, WTC announced that there are 100 general entry slots available for the new Ironman Canada. Based on that I'll say within a week :)

https://twitter.com/...s/265462377137467392

And now they are saying the race is sold out for 2013, some Foundation Slots to open up but that's it.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's all about the swim, oh wait no it not.
Quote Reply

Prev Next