Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcsxtri10 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Perhaps people were sitting in the bar waiting for a supermodel to walk in past midnight. As triathletes love to draft to T2, I believe the Ironman Florida supermodel just walked in and a hoard of guys jumped all over each other to be the first to go home with her in under a minute.

Meanwhile, the girls whose qualities are not so superficial are still in the bar (Whistler and Penticton) and no doubt those who go home with them will have very satsifying experiences, while the guys that went with the Ironman Florida supermodel will whine and complain about all the drafting and how high maintenance that choice ended up being.

OK, carry on with this thread.

I was going to say the only thing worth mentioning that the guys who took home the super model would get is a burning sensation when they pee =).

I've never done, or heard much about IMF... why is it so popular? I hear the course is just flat and boring, and that heat must suck. Penticton is a seriously magical place in the summer, and the bike course is one of the best rides out there. Whistler, I'm sure, will have an equal sense of epic-ness about it. What the heck does Florida offer? Aside from great drafting opportunities?

The reality is for those of us who have moved on .... is that Penticton is only magical in the minds of a few who haven't moved on and those who live there. That's fine by me if you feel that .... but you can see most are showing they don't agree with you.
Hard as it is for WTC haters, they have many fine races that sell out quickly for many reasons ... and always have. IMAZ will sell out quickly in 2 weeks as well .... you need to pay attention to market reality rather than just being derisive of those who don't agree with you.
Let me say again after doing the moved on from IMC course in Penticton many times that it really isn't that special by itself ... NO, Penticton is not magical compared to many other WTC sites and the bike course is just like many others ... frankly many others are better. You really ought to try some of these other races rather than being so one dimensional .... it might be an eye opener for you. I've done IMF twice and I hate drafting .... but its a fun course and has great and inexpensive accomodations... plus it's easy to get to and fun for family.
CP is learning some reality already with a lot more to come .... I have moved on .... you guys need to open your eyes.

Dave

I think you missed the boat completely. I'm not clinging to some old IMC fantasy at all. I never did the old IMC (signed up for the new one), or a challenge race, or IMF... or IMAZ for that matter. I've been to the Okanagan a lot, almost every summer, and done a ton of workouts on the course, and am very familiar with it. I was simply wondering what makes those other races so much more popular. From word of mouth from people who have done those races, which is all I have to go on, I have given the advantage on the course itself to Penticton (and probably Whistler too... challenging, beautiful, one loop bike etc). I was simply wondering what is it about IMF that draws so many people. I've never heard someone come back from either of those races saying things like "that was the best community support I've ever experienced" or "I absolutely fell in love with that area" or something. So what's the draw? Easier to find accommodation? More Kona slots or better time of year to qualify? People don't like hills? I'm honestly curious.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whistler now sold out per Ironman posts on Twitter and FB this morning.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Gtowntri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtowntri wrote:

Under 3 weeks to sell out, not bad for a new race venue. I'm sure that will help numbers for the CP race now, hope they also get a decent field registered for the race.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know how many entrants?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:
But as for numbers you can spout out all you want but nobody knows just where either of those races are in relation to total capacity. And neither will sell out for quite some time.

Well, you were half right.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
So what's the draw? Easier to find accommodation? More Kona slots or better time of year to qualify? People don't like hills? I'm honestly curious.

Speed. I did IMC in August, and a bunch of my friends just did IMFL on the weekend. Their bike splits were insanely fast, my guess is the course is about 45min faster than IMC or IMOO. So after they finished I was pretty close to signing up to see how fast I could go on that course. IMC is a very challenging course and requires quite a bit of discipline to save enough for Yellow Lake. The challenging part of Florida is having to stay aero for the entire 180km.

The time of year also plays a huge part. People in the northern US need May-Sept to train, making IMoo and IMFL easier events to work into the schedule, while still allowing for summer races. IMC in August meant I could only race in June and July. An IM any early means the bulk of your training will be inside.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [dstu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dstu wrote:

We'll probably see a registration list in a couple of weeks. I would assume it's the same as usual (around 2800).
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
miner1098 wrote:
dstu wrote:
I agree, very little choice in "Ironman" events but CP will not sell out so there's always that.

Challenge Penticton = the fat girl at the end of the bar at 2:30AM

Douche comment of the evening

I thought it was funny...
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakerfan wrote:
realAlbertan wrote:
miner1098 wrote:
dstu wrote:
I agree, very little choice in "Ironman" events but CP will not sell out so there's always that.

+1

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakerfan wrote:
dstu wrote:

We'll probably see a registration list in a couple of weeks. I would assume it's the same as usual (around 2800).

And then they start selling the foundation slots at twice the normal rate:
IRONMAN Foundation Fee: $1,250.00 CAD + HST + Active.com Fees

Which obviously means the market is saturated and WTC has jumped the shark.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Aqua Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aqua Man wrote:
lakerfan wrote:
dstu wrote:

? They've been doing that for years. I did IMAZ that way in 2008 (long story). If WTC jumped the shark, which arguably it has, it's not because of that.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Aqua Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aqua Man wrote:
lakerfan wrote:
dstu wrote:

Start selling? They already are selling and have been for years. If the market is saturated then why aren't people signing up for Challenge Penticton? How the hell has WTC jumped the shark? Did you just say that because it sounds cool to say? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
lakerfan wrote:
realAlbertan wrote:
miner1098 wrote:
dstu wrote:

+1
_____

+2 :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aqua Man wrote:
lakerfan wrote:
dstu wrote:

I dont mind paying the extra amount knowing that some is going to good causes. I also don't mind being able to get into a race without having to give a one year lead time.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [TriTrev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTrev wrote:
......a lot of people think they have already jumped the shark, there is certainly more criticism of WTC and their events than ever before.......

TriTrev wrote:
My post was factual......

lakerfan wrote:
how the hell has WTC jumped the shark? Did you just say that because it sounds cool to say? ;-)
I was told that it's a FACT.

lakerfan wrote:
If the market is saturated then why aren't people signing up for Challenge Penticton?
That's an interesting question. Anyone care to speculate?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lakerfan wrote:
realAlbertan wrote:
miner1098 wrote:
dstu wrote:

I thought it was funny too.

And along the same lines, as you yourself have noted, much of the WTC field = over-eager wannabe player who pays for the hot chick's drinks all night long thinking that he might actually have a chance of
taking her home, only to watch her leave (once again) with with the regular suspect at the end of the night. Maybe next time there will be a rolldown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aqua Man wrote:
TriTrev wrote:
......a lot of people think they have already jumped the shark, there is certainly more criticism of WTC and their events than ever before.......

TriTrev wrote:
My post was factual......

lakerfan wrote:
how the hell has WTC jumped the shark? Did you just say that because it sounds cool to say? ;-)

I was told that it's a FACT.

lakerfan wrote:
If the market is saturated then why aren't people signing up for Challenge Penticton?

That's an interesting question. Anyone care to speculate?

----

The market isn't saturated at all it is just that some races in the WTC series are harder than others so won't sell out completely and some like IMCabo are going to have to prove themselves because they are in "Oh-So dangerous Mexico".

As far as Challenge not selling out is concerned it is all about branding and the bragging factor.Some folks want to be part of the cool kids group and are totally into the whole M-Dot,not really because of the course or "the show" but because it is a known event putting out a solid and pretty consistent product.Kona qualifying is a part of it for sure but not the be all and end all for half the field.It is cool to say "I am an Ironman" because people know it in Nth America.In Europe Challenge Roth is the big deal and is like the hallowed ground for Iron distance racing..As soon as people become more aware of Challenge it will change but Ironman will always rule in Nth America.

I saw it in Penticton this year with people lining up out the door for their "double de-caf,half-caf,soy,mocha,no foam,grande,wankerchinos" in Starbucks while at the Bellvue Cafe just up the street there were no lines at all wher you can get the same shit...It is all about branding and feeling safe with a known product.

--
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [JRSL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRSL wrote:
And along the same lines, as you yourself have noted, much of the WTC field = over-eager wannabe player who pays for the hot chick's drinks all night long thinking that he might actually have a chance of taking her home, only to watch her leave (once again) with with the regular suspect at the end of the night. Maybe next time there will be a rolldown.

Now that's even funnier!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lakerfan wrote:
JRSL wrote:
And along the same lines, as you yourself have noted, much of the WTC field = over-eager wannabe player who pays for the hot chick's drinks all night long thinking that he might actually have a chance of taking her home, only to watch her leave (once again) with with the regular suspect at the end of the night. Maybe next time there will be a rolldown.

Now that's even funnier!

I'm one of those idiots buying drinks and 9/10 times, I miss out, while 9/10 times Lakerfan is taking her (Kona slot) home.....but I keep buying (registered for my 22nd WTC IM)...

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
lakerfan wrote:
JRSL wrote:

Now that's even funnier!

I'm one of those idiots buying drinks and 9/10 times, I miss out, while 9/10 times Lakerfan is taking her (Kona slot) home.....but I keep buying (registered for my 22nd WTC IM)...

Dev
----

I still can't get my head around the thought that you are having trouble going sub 10hrs.If anyone should be doing it,you should.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2800 is about right for IMC. Hell of a mass start. Glad I'm not going to be in that slug fest.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:
2800 is about right for IMC. Hell of a mass start. Glad I'm not going to be in that slug fest.

2800, mass start, two loops, in a tiny lake? NO THANK YOU!

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aqua Man wrote:
Well, you were half right.

Yeah, it depends though on perspective. I don't think the new IMC sold out fast though. It does have Kona slots which are the holy grail for a lot of people. Also the Challenge Races are an unknown entity for most North American athletes. If the shoe was on the other foot and it Was Challenge Whistler I doubt many folks would be talking about what a great course it's going to etc.

The real question will be what happens when IMC moves it's date (2014?) and just how determined the Challenge people are to stay in the Western hemisphere market. (Very, I'd hazard a guess). There's certainly plenty of room for everyone and personally I'm looking for to CP and wave starts.

Aloha.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [Gtowntri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtowntri wrote:

SA WHHEEEEET--I signed up Monday night--so glad that I didn't miss the boat like I did for Vineman!

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Whistler - When do you predict it will sell out? [otto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
otto wrote:
KonaCoffee wrote:

2800, mass start, two loops, in a tiny lake? NO THANK YOU!

Yeah, that swim is going to be absolute chaos. Better start working on a fast first 200m or so!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply

Prev Next