Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMCOZ 2020 - odds of it happening?
Quote | Reply
Wonder about this late season race. Cozumel needs tourist money, and it is 4 months away. Thoughts?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: IMCOZ 2020 - odds of it happening? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quintana Roo is rumored to be maybe heading back to red status as cases are rising on Coz and in the state. I would have said odds were better last week

https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/...ack-to-red/2020.html
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jul 18, 20 16:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna say "no chance".

Now I'll "show my work":

Cozumel is an island right? And 22 people have died from Covid 19 in the "municipality of Cozumel". The virus started in Wuhan, China. How have 22 people on an island in Mexico died because of a virus that originated in China? travel.

How do you limit more deaths? Limit travel.

Therefore, you cancel an Ironman triathlon.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCOZ 2020 - odds of it happening? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cruise ships will determine the fate of the island. The threshold for cancellation by Ironman decreases with every race that is rescheduled. Not much to be gained by allowing a couple of rouge races in November.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCOZ 2020 - odds of it happening? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
I'm gonna say "no chance".

Now I'll "show my work":

Cozumel is an island right? And 22 people have died from Covid 19 in the "municipality of Cozumel". The virus started in Wuhan, China. How have 22 people on an island in Mexico died because of a virus that originated in China? travel.

How do you limit more deaths? Limit travel.

Therefore, you cancel an Ironman triathlon.

thats interesting, because every google search result says that cozumel is "open for business" right now.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: IMCOZ 2020 - odds of it happening? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that was the basis of my question... although the logistics are tough right now - like even starting with the tribike transport... or making everything cancellable.

Quote Reply
Re: IMCOZ 2020 - odds of it happening? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, with restrictions and not business as usual. Limited airlines. Dive boats and restaurants at reduced capacity. Masks at all times expect eating or exercising. Hard 10 pm curfew. Not sure how they race with that last restriction not to mention others.

But cases rising and hospital capacity falling. Like anywhere else it could change in a moment and things right now are not getting better in QR but worse
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Interesting post today on their FB Page:

"Today we tell you: IRONMAN 70.3 Cozumel and IRONMAN Cozumel confirmed! According to the protocols established by the Federal Government, the Executive Power of the State of Quintana Roo and the City Council of Cozumel establishes a reactivation plan that will allow us to carry out events, combined with hygiene protocols for the operation of those events that we have shared with you and you can check here: https://bit.ly/3eST0zg We are ready!
CPTQ Isla Cozumel "

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: IMCOZ 2020 - odds of it happening? [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've been following that recent announcement. I just had my 3rd IM cancellation this year- IM Maryland today. I would love to get an IM race in this year- COZ seems like the last opportunity. No knock on Mexican health protocols, but I think their tendency would be oriented to a somewhat looser cancellation threshold than the US.

We'll see. I'm just going to watch developments until early OCT, then make the call either way.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCOZ 2020 - odds of it happening? [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My challenge is the logistics - if the race gets shitcanned in October, what do I do with the tickets/hotel reservations? I'll probably wait til like November 10th to see where we stand with this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
My challenge is the logistics - if the race gets shitcanned in October, what do I do with the tickets/hotel reservations? I'll probably wait til like November 10th to see where we stand with this.

Um chill on the beach snorkel eat food have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCOZ 2020 - odds of it happening? [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for a local federal official’s take (forgive the translation)

For those who are still considering this event as feasible. Here is the response of a federal official.
"Definitely from the Federal Government it is not allowed these type of events under the current epidemic risk we are..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Wonder about this late season race. Cozumel needs tourist money, and it is 4 months away. Thoughts?

I'm canadian. I did COZ last year and i'm signup for AZ this year (same weekend). If somehow the local race organizers run those races... getting a flight to the destination will be a challenge, and i will force into a quarantine on the way back.

Let's be honest, for most of us, racing is not happening until vaccines have been distributed.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCOZ 2020 - odds of it happening? [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody have any local insights on this?
Quote Reply
Re: IMCOZ 2020 - odds of it happening? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Anybody have any local insights on this?

I'm in North Carolina, USA. How's this for local:

You are not racing in 2020.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply