Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMCDA "Time Trial" Start
Quote | Reply
Please tell me this isn't true, have people heard about IMCDA going to a "time trial" type of start?

There has been some rumbling that IMCDA will go to a flow based start where you pick a start flow time based on what time you think you will finish the swim. Faster swimmers go out in the first "flow" and then next fastest, etc. Based on your projected swim time you cross the mat and get in the water. Clock starts when you cross the mat. Great for fast swimmers but that 2nd loop could be really ugly when you try to swim over the slower swimmers that are just getting into the water for their first loop.

Sponsored By Jack and Adams Bicycles
Austin, TX
http://www.jackandadams.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [Blazier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just about to post this same question. You saw the post on BT in the CDA thread too then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds sort of dumb if there's really any truth at all to it. The lake is huge and could easily support a single loop swim if they wanted ... and the only recent problem with the swim course was the rather dumb compression of the beach start area that could easily be fixed by just letting the start occur on the larger beach area as it has in the past. I would hope there is no truth to the "rumor" .... but they should expand the beach start area like it was before.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hadn't heard of them doing this but it would be a nightmare if they did. I started toward the back of the TT start at Louisville and that was awful enough, and that isn't even a double loop swim. It would be a mess at the start of the second loop. A better option is to just not have so many participants that the start gets crowded out, but I know that option doesn't make as much money.

Quote | Reply
I've done a lot of IMs, at different venues, and for whatever reason, CDA remains the most brutal swim for me. I've done the race several times and feel like I wrestle more than swim, and never get clear water. I'd welcome any attempt to spread us out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is actually a good thing for the sport. I know not everyone will like this...If I were racing, I'd want to know where my competition is throughout the race...if that's even possible - maybe, age-group wave starts would be better? But, from a safety perspective, I think this is a good thing. Many will have different opinions...reduced participants, unqualified entrants, etc.

I'd say one of the major concerns that keep new triathletes from sticking with the sport is the swim.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really not a fan of this. I probably would have done Tremblant again if I had known CDA was going to go to a TT.

They should at least ask people what their expected swim time is and go out based on that like a coral start for a marathon.
Last edited by: USCoregonian: Feb 20, 13 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like what they're going to do. My experience with marathons though is that you have to have the data to back up your corral placement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only concern is how they manage race timing. So long as my clock doesn't start until I get to go, I'm good. I don't mind having less than 17 hours to finish, but I don't want my clock to start running before I get to swim. That's going to be a challenge at CDA. It works at Louisville, since we are all in a line. With CDA's small entry into the swim corral, and the crush of spectators at that entry point, they are going to have to change something to make it work.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [silentcs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think, for marathons, the only people that really need to back up their coral assignments with data are the fast ones that want to be in the elite waves.

Boston is the only one that actually verifies data for normal/non-elites age groupers. All other marathons that I've done, Chicago, LA, NYC, Philly, MCM and and a bunch more, ask you for it but it's an honor system. If it's my first marathon and I'm a 5 hour marathon, I can say that I'm a 3 hour marathoner and nothing will be done to verify it. Boston assigns you based on your BQ time. You could move back to a slower coral, but not up to a faster one.

Most IMs have really high numbers of first timers. IMFL, one year, has something like 50% first timers. It's hard for a first timer to acurately predict their swim time, especially if they are not swimmers to begin with. Personally, I think it's more fun to just throw everyone in there at the same time :)

silentcs42 wrote:
That sounds like what they're going to do. My experience with marathons though is that you have to have the data to back up your corral placement.

Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
I hadn't heard of them doing this but it would be a nightmare if they did. I started toward the back of the TT start at Louisville and that was awful enough, and that isn't even a double loop swim. It would be a mess at the start of the second loop. A better option is to just not have so many participants that the start gets crowded out, but I know that option doesn't make as much money.
______

This will be #7 IMCDA for me .... the only one I had any problem in the swim was last year with the smaller beach start area that made things much more congested. Frankly, if this is going to be a TT start, I'll just get my partial refund and say forget it .... sort of the sissifying of the event. Maybe they can heat the lake up as well so no one feels cold either .... maybe we can have a group finish as well so everyone gets the same time and feels better.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM KFC has been doing a TT start since day one and there has never been an issue. As long as they put the entry point a good 100-200 feet from the turn around re-entry for the second loop you will have a pretty smooth merging of traffic. The only downside is your finishers photo has a clock time that does not match your actual finish (chip) time.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would actually be very good if they also made it a single loop swim.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there even any data that TT starts improve survival outcomes? To me, a mass start is an integral part of the race and to move away from that would be very unfortunate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any particular reason(s) mentioned as to why? I think an IM loses its luster if it goes to a wave start. I did CdA in 2011 and it was a hard swim IMO and super cold. I'm not sure I would feel the same about an IM if it was a TT start.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
I think this is actually a good thing for the sport. I know not everyone will like this...If I were racing, I'd want to know where my competition is throughout the race...if that's even possible - maybe, age-group wave starts would be better? But, from a safety perspective, I think this is a good thing. Many will have different opinions...reduced participants, unqualified entrants, etc.

I'd say one of the major concerns that keep new triathletes from sticking with the sport is the swim.[/quote]

good point. one of the biggest things I here is people worried about getting wrestled under the water like the loch ness monster is under there. We all talk about the brutality of the swims and it makes people nervous. I am not saying we need to make every race a big safety fest but i do think that we need to evaluate certain races and pick which ones would enhance the overall experience and safety aspect of the race.

I would be more concerned about people sand bagging and saying they swim slower to make sure they have "open water" ahead of them. so lets say I avg a 1:05 swim....If I drop to the 1:20 swim (assuming there is nothing in between) and they wave start every 5 min. I could guarantee open water ahead of me and drop all the slow swimmers. worst case scenario is that I "swim up" to the group I belong to.

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kman74 wrote:
Mat Steinmetz wrote:

I'd say one of the major concerns that keep new triathletes from sticking with the sport is the swim.[/quote]

good point. one of the biggest things I here is people worried about getting wrestled under the water like the loch ness monster is under there. We all talk about the brutality of the swims and it makes people nervous. I am not saying we need to make every race a big safety fest but i do think that we need to evaluate certain races and pick which ones would enhance the overall experience and safety aspect of the race.

I would be more concerned about people sand bagging and saying they swim slower to make sure they have "open water" ahead of them.
so lets say I avg a 1:05 swim....If I drop to the 1:20 swim (assuming there is nothing in between) and they wave start every 5 min. I could guarantee open water ahead of me and drop all the slow swimmers. worst case scenario is that I "swim up" to the group I belong to.

Any good swimmer knows that open water in front of them will cause them to expend a whole lot more energy "swimming up" to the next group that it's worth, they should really draft off someone for as much of the swim as possible and save that energy for later in the race. For the perfect strategy, I say go into the group that's just a little faster than you and hook up on the heels of one of those guys/gals and ride them all the way home!

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:
kman74 wrote:
Mat Steinmetz wrote:

I would be more concerned about people sand bagging and saying they swim slower to make sure they have "open water" ahead of them.
so lets say I avg a 1:05 swim....If I drop to the 1:20 swim (assuming there is nothing in between) and they wave start every 5 min. I could guarantee open water ahead of me and drop all the slow swimmers. worst case scenario is that I "swim up" to the group I belong to.

Any good swimmer knows that open water in front of them will cause them to expend a whole lot more energy "swimming up" to the next group that it's worth, they should really draft off someone for as much of the swim as possible and save that energy for later in the race. For the perfect strategy, I say go into the group that's just a little faster than you and hook up on the heels of one of those guys/gals and ride them all the way home![/quote

Yeah, I agree that is what will most likely happen. but in general most people fear not having open water to swim in, not catching some heels to hang on to through out. Maybe the 1:05 swimmer wasn't a good analogy as they are good swimmers. maybe the 1:20 and such would lag to get clear. just spit ballin' here.

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:
IM KFC has been doing a TT start since day one and there has never been an issue. As long as they put the entry point a good 100-200 feet from the turn around re-entry for the second loop you will have a pretty smooth merging of traffic. The only downside is your finishers photo has a clock time that does not match your actual finish (chip) time.
Sounds like this is exactly what they are going to do, the entry point will be at the far west end of the beach. From what I hear, from someone who was at the IMCDA meeting last night where this was decided, all IM events are going to this "flow" start - I would think Kona would be an exception.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:
The only downside is your finishers photo has a clock time that does not match your actual finish (chip) time.

Correct. This bummed me out when I did Louisville.

The TT start is one of the reasons I won't do the race again. Just not a fun way to start the day. I want the mass start all at the same time.
Last edited by: johnnybefit: Feb 20, 13 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [PrivateIdaho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sounds like this is exactly what they are going to do, the entry point will be at the far west end of the beach. From what I hear, from someone who was at the IMCDA meeting last night where this was decided, all IM events are going to this "flow" start - I would think Kona would be an exception.
Well, looks like I'm racing Challenge from now on.
Last edited by: USCoregonian: Feb 20, 13 8:19
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
I think an IM loses its luster if it goes to a wave start.

Yeah, they've had problems filling Challenge Roth after introducing wave starts. I wonder how that race survives.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
Quote:

Well, looks like I'm racing Challenge from now on.
_____

I think this is a real mistake for IM races to go to a TT format .... no, there is no reason to expect that to be any safer ... just conjecture. Really does kill a lot of the intrigue of the ironman events.
I won't say I'll go to Challenge .... ultratriguy would choke on his brew if I said that !!! Challenge does have a TT start format .... at least for Penticton. Does start taking away the "special" event staus of IM events though.
I will drop out of IMCDA if its a TT start ..... just sucks too much! Still time to get into the Markleeville death ride event that same week :-)

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this is true, I am not happy about it.

Mass starts are part of the fun...

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next