Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMCA new bike course - concerns
Quote | Reply
Hello - I've been "shopping around" for Ironman #4 to be done in 2019. IMCA is one I've always wanted to do since it's in Whistler. I was planning on signing up for next July. It was going to be perfect. My husband wants to take a break from the full distance and do the 70.3 at Whistler while I do the full distance. My coach raves about Whistler and says it would great for us since we live and train in a hilly area with lots of climbing.

So after reading some posts on Slowtwitch regarding the new bike course (after 2018's race) I have not been able to get myself to sign up. Some athletes said it felt crowded and dangerous with the 70.3 while others felt it was no more crowded than any other Ironman branded race. I'm hoping some of you could ease my worries. Is it really that bad? I'm a newer swimmer and will probably get out of the water between 75 to 78 minutes so that never helps. But if it's no more crowded than IMMT, IMLP or IM Copenhagen, then I will be fine.

I look forward to your responses :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: 70Trigirl: Aug 30, 18 14:05
Quote Reply
Re: IMCA new bike course - concerns [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I felt that the Alta Lake Road portion of the course, which you have to ride three times, was dangerous due purely to the vastly different speeds and skill levels of people interspersed on the road.

Was it significantly worse than the Duplessis section of the Tremblant course? Maybe not, objectively, but I didn't enjoy it very much and had a few close calls.

The rest of the course was mostly fine. If it is wet on race day I would be very cautious on the Callaghan descent, but that's just common sense.

On balance, I think you should do the race given your interest.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCA new bike course - concerns [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I did the 2016 IMMT the year it poured all day. There was a terrible crash on Duplessis that year. It felt pretty dangerous in many places for me with all the rain, puddles and varying bike-handling skills and I consider myself a good bike-handler. So I'm not a stranger to treacherous conditions. I'm still leaning on doing IMCA for next year. I just hate being stressed out on the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 2016 Tremblant also and even despite the rain, did not find it particularly treacherous in the way that I had concern about Whistler this year.

I leave room for the possibility (or likelihood) that others in Whistler had no issue and that it just happened to be the people I was surrounded by.

Maybe the RD will chime in and let us know if the course is going to be the same next year or whether there is a possibility of a route change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth I'm a terrible bike handler, train in TX where it's crazy flat, and had no issues with the course (other than getting dehydrated, but that was because I was stupid). If you want a good, challenging bike course (in a spectacular venue) go for it. If not, don't.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCA new bike course - concerns [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
For what it's worth I'm a terrible bike handler, train in TX where it's crazy flat, and had no issues with the course (other than getting dehydrated, but that was because I was stupid). If you want a good, challenging bike course (in a spectacular venue) go for it. If not, don't.

OK thanks! This is what I need to hear (read)! And yes I want a very hilly course in a beautiful area. My coach calls us mountain people :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any other Ironman races to compare it to since this was my first full, but I was pretty middle of the pack (1:21/6:50) and didn't feel it was exceptionally dangerous. Alta Lake Road is narrow and winding. The road is a little chewed up which effectively makes the road narrower since most riders are moving more center to avoid some of the cracks in the road.The first time out of Alta Lake Road will be a little busy. The second time around will be the most dangerous as you have both slower riders and much faster ones passing you. And the third lap will be deserted.

So we're talking about 5-10 miles of a 140 mile race that made me feel a little nervous. If you just pick your spots while passing and ride predictably, you won't have an issue.

Whistler was awesome and if I lived in the either the Vancouver or Seattle area, I would do it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read the reports and still had absolutely zero concern with signing up for IMCA. Someone will always whine about something. See you there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
Hello - I've been "shopping around" for Ironman #4 to be done in 2019. IMCA is one I've always wanted to do since it's in Whistler. I was planning on signing up for next July. It was going to be perfect. My husband wants to take a break from the full distance and do the 70.3 at Whistler while I do the full distance. My coach raves about Whistler and says it would great for us since we live and train in a hilly area with lots of climbing.

So after reading some posts on Slowtwitch regarding the new bike course (after 2018's race) I have not been able to get myself to sign up. Some athletes said it felt crowded and dangerous with the 70.3 while others felt it was no more crowded than any other Ironman branded race. I'm hoping some of you could ease my worries. Is it really that bad? I'm a newer swimmer and will probably get out of the water between 75 to 78 minutes so that never helps. But if it's no more crowded than IMMT, IMLP or IM Copenhagen, then I will be fine.

I look forward to your responses :-)

Signed up also.

Will be swimming about the same as you so... race you to the bikes?

If you're keen to have random person accountability, drop me a PM - I'm training solo out here in the middle of BC so need motivation...
Quote Reply
Re: IMCA new bike course - concerns [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helliquin wrote:

Signed up also.

Will be swimming about the same as you so... race you to the bikes?

If you're keen to have random person accountability, drop me a PM - I'm training solo out here in the middle of BC so need motivation...

Thanks! I'm feeling better already about this!

Helliquin - I'll shoot you a PM. Always nice to connect with other athletes doing the same races as us!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
Thanks!

I did the 2016 IMMT the year it poured all day. There was a terrible crash on Duplessis that year. It felt pretty dangerous in many places for me with all the rain, puddles and varying bike-handling skills and I consider myself a good bike-handler. So I'm not a stranger to treacherous conditions. I'm still leaning on doing IMCA for next year. I just hate being stressed out on the bike.
I also did IMMT in the 2016 rain and this year's IMCA. I say sign up for IMCA because you will absolutely love it. It was definitely my favorite IM race destination.

I would have thought IMMT in the rain was much more dangerous than IMCA; the risk of something bad happening especially in the Duplessis section was quite high whereas the middle part of the bike with all the 70.3 participants is more of a nuisance than a danger. There are more people hence you need to focus and yell more. I am a MOP swimmer / FOP biker so I am used to moving through the field at any IM that I do and for me IMCA was no worse than any other race in that respect. It's just not evenly spread out - less people to move around in the beginning and at the end and more in the middle whereas in other races it seems it's continuously less and less crowded as the race goes on.

Other than that, just respect the course and respect the hills, pace yourself accordingly and you will have a blast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't find it that congested, never had a problem passing people.

Anything that could be potentially dangerous had "slow" signs on it where you were also supposed to be out of your aerobars as well as a precaution.

Lots of climbing, yes.

Dangerous? No
Quote Reply
Re: IMCA new bike course - concerns [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
I didn't find it that congested, never had a problem passing people.

Anything that could be potentially dangerous had "slow" signs on it where you were also supposed to be out of your aerobars as well as a precaution.

Lots of climbing, yes.

Dangerous? No

I was going a bit faster and the only issue was a women moving to the center of the road on the steepest climb of the day. Some words were said, but I forgave her, she was avoiding a baby bear off the side of the road!!

I'll be doing the 70.3 next year trying to qualify for 2020 worlds. Hopefully in Taupo, NZ, but maybe Perth, Australia.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Quote Reply
Re: IMCA new bike course - concerns [nbrowne1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70.3 would be even nicer with the single loop, and the chunk with no full distance athletes on it!

I wonder whether it's going to be super hot, super cold, or somewhere in the middle haha
Quote Reply
Re: IMCA new bike course - concerns [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also did 16 Tremblant and 18 Whistler and I think you should absolutely sign up! The bike course was congested at times, but I did not find it dangerous. I loved Whistler and hope to go back again!
Quote Reply
Re: IMCA new bike course - concerns [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
70.3 would be even nicer with the single loop, and the chunk with no full distance athletes on it!

I wonder whether it's going to be super hot, super cold, or somewhere in the middle haha

Thanks for responses. We will mostly likely sign up! I'm used to riding through a crowded course as my swimming is slower.

As far as weather it sounds like a crap shoot. But it's the same in the Northeast. We did the Mont Tremblant double in 2016. The 70.3 was very hot and humid. My husband took 45 minutes longer to complete the run compared to the previous year and ended up in medical. The full was rainy, windy and cold on the bike. I froze on the bike. I could barely get my running shoes on after the bike as my hands were numb. My friend got pulled on the bike course for having a blue face and the beginnings of hypothermia. So with a race like that I prepare for all weather types. Sit in the sauna, do some heat training outside. But also be prepared for cold weather as well. Pack a bike jacket and even gloves to keep hands warm! Anything can happen in the mountains.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you can plan on a high likelihood of decent weather. I raced Whistler in 2017 as well and it was in the 70s, may have touched the low 80s for an hour or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done IMC the last 5 years. I did not find the 2018 bike anymore crowded then other years on the old course. I was 20 minutes slower on the 2018 course but the warm weather probably accounted for it. I love the swim in Alta lake. My swim time is close to yours and again no issues with crowding on the bike course. This year was warmer than the last 4. Usually the weather is ideal. I think in 2015 it was a little cold and raining early on the bike. I did both IMTX and IMC this year and preferred the IMC course because it equalizes for the drafters on a flat course. I definitely encourage you to do this race. You will not regret it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCA new bike course - concerns [Trigator1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trigator1956 wrote:
I've done IMC the last 5 years. I did not find the 2018 bike anymore crowded then other years on the old course. I was 20 minutes slower on the 2018 course but the warm weather probably accounted for it. I love the swim in Alta lake. My swim time is close to yours and again no issues with crowding on the bike course. This year was warmer than the last 4. Usually the weather is ideal. I think in 2015 it was a little cold and raining early on the bike. I did both IMTX and IMC this year and preferred the IMC course because it equalizes for the drafters on a flat course. I definitely encourage you to do this race. You will not regret it.

Thank you! This is very helpful for us.

Yes I love the hills and the lack of drafting on hilly courses.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll chime in having done it this year. Swam a 1:03 and I didn’t have any crowding problems. Agree 100% with above poster that said that loop 1 is fine, 2 is crowded, 3 hardly anyone. There’s a turn right before rainbow park going west on Alta that is downhill and fairly tight, saw two crashes there on different loops. Just be careful there and you’ll be fine. It wasn’t the shitshow that others had warned about (but if it were raining all bets off). And the 99 of course is fine

The heat on the other hand.

My issue is boredom. I did the 2013 course and then 2018, pretty sure I wouldn’t go back (although I might as I love the venue) unless the course was changed. We drove up the Callaghan on Monday and I immediately PM’d Christine practically begging her to put that back into the full LOL. That’s iconic BC , not back and forth on the 99. I don’t have any first hand knowledge but I wouldn’t be surprised if the course changed a bit for 2019 (fingers crossed)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Sep 1, 18 11:38
Quote Reply