Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire.
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know or can point in the right direction, how long IMAZ took to sell out when it went to the public for years 2013 to 2018? My understanding is that it took just minutes for 2013 and a week for 2018... but maybe I read something wrong. thx

----

Context is everything...
2013, 2014, 2015 races sold out in minutes, even as triathlon was on the decline starting years earlier. But the 2015 race saw the first rolling start. And ever since... it has taken the day or more to sell out the race. I think the rolling start has hurt ironman. It appeases to just a few, but it doesn't sell otherwise to the masses. Even the brochures for IMAZ use the mass swim start image to sell the race. It also attracted the crowds and put you in ah back then. Now it is boring.
What I was looking for was if somebody knew the exact numbers for how long it took to sell out for the last number of years.
Last edited by: woof: Nov 27, 18 9:37
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? [woof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2017 race somewhere between 3 hours and 1 day I believe. I signed up 3 hours after registration opened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a year it didn’t make it to online registration. All sold out on site for volunteers, etc. before 12PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This year's 2018 registration filled up in about 7 hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has registration date changed? I remember it used to open online the day after the race, but I hear that it might be different?
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? [Doubravsky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year the race was on November 19th, and I registered online November 26th. Although I might have received early registration because I was a participant in 2017.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I signed up for email list- hoping I’ll see it in time before it sells out.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? [tie3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tie3 wrote:
There was a year it didn’t make it to online registration. All sold out on site for volunteers, etc. before 12PM.

Quote:
IRONMAN Arizona continued its trend as one of the most popular triathlon events in the world with a record-setting sell-out for the 2015 event. For the first time at an American IRONMAN event, entries sold out on-site at IRONMAN Arizona 2014, which took place on Sunday 16 November 2014.

So, the 2015 IRONMAN Arizona event will not open for online general registration. This record hitting of capacity for the popular IM Arizona race follows a trend for rapid sell-outs of the event over the years. In 2012, general registration for Ironman Arizona 2013 filled in just 40 seconds.
https://www.endurancebusiness.com/2014/industry-news/on-site-a-go-go-ironman-arizona-enjoys-fastest-sell-out-in-us-history/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's difficult to compare any prior years before 2017/2018 when they began doing online priority registration for AWA & clubs. Prior to that, the only priority was for volunteers and current year racers on the spot. Of course, with IMs in general much, much less popular in the US than it was 4+ years ago, you'll probably be alright for general registration (albeit at tier 4, 3 if you're lucky) within a few days of it opening. I think this is still the only race that sells out rather quickly, but not fast enough that you need to sign up the instant it opens.

My advice: If you aren't AWA (nor do you need to be...), join a registered triclub and make sure they get the registration link, typically handled by membership person or president.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another good option is SmileTrain charity who has slots avail already for 2019- great cause to motivate a full year of training: https://www.smiletrain.org/...d/team-empower/races. Fundraising commitment varies based on whether or not you elect coaching provided by Qt2. They have a great set up at the start line with private breakfast/bathroom access/etc. Highly recommend!
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? [KLH9184] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does one find a list of registered tri clubs in my area? I like the idea of joining a club to get the link....
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? [Doubravsky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doubravsky wrote:
How does one find a list of registered tri clubs in my area? I like the idea of joining a club to get the link....

Check the IM Arizona website, I think under the results tab they have a list of all the clubs. DOn't know if they break it down by region though.

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s still open.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ya... so is MFL. And that one sold out in minutes too.... years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [woof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did the mass start work use to work at IMAZ? I just can't imagine how they got 3000 people going in at the same time...

woof wrote:
Does anybody know or can point in the right direction, how long IMAZ took to sell out when it went to the public for years 2013 to 2018? My understanding is that it took just minutes for 2013 and a week for 2018... but maybe I read something wrong. thx
----

Context is everything...
2013, 2014, 2015 races sold out in minutes, even as triathlon was on the decline starting years earlier. But the 2015 race saw the first rolling start. And ever since... it has taken the day or more to sell out the race. I think the rolling start has hurt ironman. It appeases to just a few, but it doesn't sell otherwise to the masses. Even the brochures for IMAZ use the mass swim start image to sell the race. It also attracted the crowds and put you in ah back then. Now it is boring.
What I was looking for was if somebody knew the exact numbers for how long it took to sell out for the last number of years.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It worked out great when they did that. We all waited in the lake behind the buoys, spread all the way across. I positioned myself towards the back middle, fast swimmers in the front. That being said our time was all the same so I lost time being where I was at. The rolling start now I had a quicker time than back then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry but there is no way that the mass start is responsible for this not selling out as fast... The numbers for WTC are simple and transparent, thanks to the Obsessed Ironman:

https://www.obstri.com/?stats=1

In the Americas, participation in IM (specifically IM, not 70.3) is down since its peak in 2015. And this includes stats from South America where participation has been growing since 2015 so it is likely skewing the fact that NA is declining even more.

Just as there at <10% of participants caring about KQ, there are likely equally as few wanting a mass start swim.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:
How did the mass start work use to work at IMAZ? I just can't imagine how they got 3000 people going in at the same time...

woof wrote:
----

Context is everything...

They all started at the same time and it was awesome. It was part of the experience.

The start used to be a deep water start. Prior to the start everyone made their way down the stairs and swam to the start line. Seeding themselves according to ability, and delusions of grandeur. Everyone had to tread water for a while, then the gun went off, and the race started. Simple as that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
woof wrote:
ya... so is MFL. And that one sold out in minutes too.... years ago.

That's ancient history and IMFL is no longer in the same league as IMAZ when it comes on time to sell out. E.g., IMFL 2018 sold out in July 2018. I would not expect any sooner for 2019.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Sorry but there is no way that the mass start is responsible for this not selling out as fast... The numbers for WTC are simple and transparent, thanks to the Obsessed Ironman: https://www.obstri.com/?stats=1

In the Americas, participation in IM (specifically IM, not 70.3) is down since its peak in 2015. And this includes stats from South America where participation has been growing since 2015 so it is likely skewing the fact that NA is declining even more.

Just as there at <10% of participants caring about KQ, there are likely equally as few wanting a mass start swim.

I agree with you. Correlation is not causation and more people prefer a rolling start to a mass start. And for the record I did IMAZ in 2010. I haven't been able to figure out yet whether the same people on ST who complain about drafting are those who want a return to the main start (a freaking paradox) or whether it is the drafters themselves who would like to go back to the mass start which compresses the field on the bike course making drafting easier.

Regardless, the lengthening sell-out period for IMAZ suggests that we (North America) have not yet reached the bottom in IM participation.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
trailerhouse wrote:

woof wrote:
----

Context is everything...

They all started at the same time and it was awesome. It was part of the experience.

The start used to be a deep water start. Prior to the start everyone made their way down the stairs and swam to the start line. Seeding themselves according to ability, and delusions of grandeur. Everyone had to tread water for a while, then the gun went off, and the race started. Simple as that.

As an expert swimmer, I nearly drowned in the mass scrum start of IMAZ. No race is worth that kind of drama and it definitely dissuades people from open water swimming or continuing in triathlon.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't necessarily agree that participation in Ironman races among folks living in the Americas are down. The number of athletes racing in North American Ironmans may be down, but that doesn't mean that there are fewer people living in the Americas doing Ironman races.

With the addition of races outside of the Americas, people who typically do races in the Americas are going overseas for their races. I am one such athlete. Over the past 6 years, I've done 2 races in North America and 4 overseas. The five years prior to that, all 5 of my Ironmans were done in North America.

Europeans who, in the past, would come to the U.S to do Ironman races are now staying home in the continent to do Ironman races since there are now more options available to them.

hadukla wrote:
Sorry but there is no way that the mass start is responsible for this not selling out as fast... The numbers for WTC are simple and transparent, thanks to the Obsessed Ironman:

Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

As an expert swimmer, I nearly drowned in the mass scrum start of IMAZ. No race is worth that kind of drama and it definitely dissuades people from open water swimming or continuing in triathlon.
The word you're looking for is Ruck, a mass ruck start. Scrums are a process and heavily controlled forms of restarts.

To the OP...wtf, I saw this on a Facebook group this morning. So general registration opened yesterday, it was at Tier 4. To me that's actually bad form for folks newer to the sport when they're waiting watching the tiers fill up because they weren't smart enough to associate their account with a tri club so they could get the pre-registration password. IMAZ has as many people on the Start list as Kona and the bike is three laps...it's local to me and I'm interested but if I was new to this $825 would be a turnoff for me.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:

A side from IMAZ that correlates well with the Mass start or lack of. Try

Ironman Coeur D'Alene
Year finishers
2017 837 (the last year IM offered)
2016 1150
2015 1331
2014 1944
2013 2122 (1st year of rolling start)
2012 2142
2011 2188
2010 2095
2009 2033
2008 1942
2007 2085

----------------------

I bet that if they offered this race with the mass start... it would sell out.
Last edited by: woof: Nov 27, 18 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scrum is a perfect description of a mass start. See Merriam-Webster dictionary definitions apart from Rugby:

: a usually brief and disorderly struggle or fight : SCRAPE, SCUFFLE

: a usually tightly packed or disorderly crowd : THRONG
Quote Reply

Prev Next