Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMAZ Pro Slot Allocation?
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if it's going to be a 2/2 split for men vs women or 3/1 men/woman?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Pro Slot Allocation? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Answering my own question (sort of) - they just implied on the broadcast that it would be three for men and one for the women.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Pro Slot Allocation? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Slot info can be found here.

Your link didnt work for me

http://ap.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/pro-membership/event-registration.aspx#axzz5XFMTVsB7

But the answer is one for the men and one for the women

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Pro Slot Allocation? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, the answer is one for the men, one for the women, and two more to be distributed based on field size. Which appear to both be going to the men

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Pro Slot Allocation? [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
No, the answer is one for the men, one for the women, and two more to be distributed based on field size. Which appear to both be going to the men

Where does it say that on Ironman.com

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Pro Slot Allocation? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

Its on the link you posted, under the column "allocate". That indicates there are two slots to allocate based on relative field size of men vs women.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were apparently allocating 2 more spots at Cozumel to men according to the broadcast this morning...was at the chute today and don't remember Mike saying to the third guy he qualified.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
PJC wrote:

Its on the link you posted, under the column "allocate". That indicates there are two slots to allocate based on relative field size of men vs women.

haha I never scrolled past the blank bit.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Pro Slot Allocation? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
They were apparently allocating 2 more spots at Cozumel to men according to the broadcast this morning...was at the chute today and don't remember Mike saying to the third guy he qualified.

Strikes me as a worse system than the previous model.

Basically Angela neith goes 44 seconds behind doesn’t get a spot and Rana gets one.

Certainly favours the 2nd and 3rd tier male pros.

And before anyone gets on the “amount” of female vs male pros racing, please understand that cannon fodder does not represent competition density within the top 3.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw, I calculated 36 slots for the men/women each this year plus another 14 allocation. If the men and women got half those slots that puts it at 43 + the slots for the winner the previous 5 years and the 2 slots for the podium winners of the previous year. Makes it about 50/50 if the ladies step up and race. I know one argument about why less women go pro was fear of not being able to return to Kona. Hopefully this encourages more ladies to step up and race pro.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Pro Slot Allocation? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would state that the idea to allocate 2 extra slots to men at Cozumel was asinine. Cozumel and IMAZ had pretty deep women fields compared to a lot of races out there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I would state that the idea to allocate 2 extra slots to men at Cozumel was asinine. Cozumel and IMAZ had pretty deep women fields compared to a lot of races out there.

Totally agree,

And when we are talking “deep” fields. Basically we are talking about competition density within the top 3 male and female pros. (In regards to distribution of KQ slots)

It’s a joke,

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Pro Slot Allocation? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Fwiw, I calculated 36 slots for the men/women each this year plus another 14 allocation. If the men and women got half those slots that puts it at 43 + the slots for the winner the previous 5 years and the 2 slots for the podium winners of the previous year. Makes it about 50/50 if the ladies step up and race. I know one argument about why less women go pro was fear of not being able to return to Kona. Hopefully this encourages more ladies to step up and race pro.

In theory now we can have equal men and women at Kona for pros but based on yesterday's field, i think the extra slots will be going to the pro men? I think men outnumbered women 2-1 in Arizona, not sure about Cozumel. Yes, hopefully we will see more pro women show up at races
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it be so much better if there were just 10 male and 10 female Kona qualifying races held at separate events. Ironman could have five of the races with 5 Kona slots and five with three Kona slots for a total of 40 female and 40 male Kona qualifying slots. In addition, there would be a maximum of 8 validating slots for men and for women. The validating slots would be the winners of Kona for the previous five years, the previous year's Kona podium and the winner of the previous year's Ironman 70.3 World Championships. I suggest validating athletes would have to finish in the top 10 at a race with five slots or top 5 at race with 3 slots. This would give a maximum of 48 men and 48 women in Kona resolving most of the issues with the old KPR system and the new slot system. This system would resolve the ridiculous current state of qualifying for Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Pro Slot Allocation? [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25 men: 13 Women...almost 2:1, but 10 of those men got chicked by the top 3 women finishers. Only three women finished behind the last male pro...so strength of the pool was a bit stronger than the men's race by far.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
25 men: 13 Women...almost 2:1, but 10 of those men got chicked by the top 3 women finishers. Only three women finished behind the last male pro...so strength of the pool was a bit stronger than the men's race by far.

I agree that the slot distribution is firstly not very transparent? What ratio is needed before we can it allocated 1 each for each gender? Secondly as you rightly pointed out, how deep the field is doesn't just means who many show up at the swim start
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Basically Angela neith goes 44 seconds behind doesn’t get a spot and Rana gets one.

And before anyone gets on the “amount” of female vs male pros racing, please understand that cannon fodder does not represent competition density within the top 3.

Maurice

Not to mention that women in general have many more barriers first to become athletes and then to become pro athletes. The top two women there represent all the women in the world who can do triathlon, not just the top two out of who shows up to race pro. I fundamentally disagree about this old guys club setting the agenda for guys based on male biased thinking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

No, there were only 1 slot for Men and 1 slot for Women in Cozumel, there was NOT "floating" slots in Cozumel.

IMAZ had 2 floating slots as mentioned elsewhere and those both went to the men.

I believe the system should be "hybrid" as in slots and then also the same points as previously. Then at the end of qualification period, anyone that did not receive a slot based on allocation is ranked, and 5-10 slots are given out based on those rankings. This could even be true for someone that say qualifies in November, but then is injured come the last qualification date, that slot would roll into the points category. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Pro Slot Allocation? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Maurice

Not to mention that women in general have many more barriers first to become athletes and then to become pro athletes. The top two women there represent all the women in the world who can do triathlon, not just the top two out of who shows up to race pro. I fundamentally disagree about this old guys club setting the agenda for guys based on male biased thinking.

It’s so out there in left field that I will give WTC the benefit of the doubt and say *maybe* this is an “error” “oversight” etc...

Hopefully they are capable of re-thinking this and walking it back today.

ETA: per BW’s post maybe only 2 outright spots at COZ.

2c

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Nov 19, 18 5:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Carrie Lester went 8:44 and didn't get a slot?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Pro Slot Allocation? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly looks that way, TJ gets it at 8:09, CL at only 34 minutes behind (8:44) is forced to race again.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Pro Slot Allocation? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Not to mention that women in general have many more barriers first to become athletes and then to become pro athletes.

What barriers would that be?
Last edited by: Scottxs: Nov 19, 18 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like this system, like the old system, encourages pros to pick races with weaker fields. One of the problems with pro long course triathlon is that there is very little head to head racing. Everybody shows for Kona, but at least 1/3 of the top guys skip the 70.3 Worlds each year. How much other good head to head racing is there? You usually get two of the top Germans squaring off at IM Frankfurt. Oceanside typically has Jan and Lionel. Is there a non-Kona race where even five of the top ten guys will show?

Compare this to golf, tennis and other individual sports where there are major events where everybody posts.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Pro Slot Allocation? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not quite sure if the comparison to golf or tennis is valid. Doing an IM takes a toll on the body and most pros can only really have two great IM's in a given year, with the goal of one of those being at Kona. Golf or tennis is not as taxing on the body and an athlete can enter and compete in far more matches/tournaments.

However, I do agree that there will definitely be some pros that cherry pick races based on the field of athletes to try securing a KQ under the new system.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply

Prev Next