Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM70.3 Jones Beach, New York (Long Island)
Quote | Reply
Just heard that IM70.3 Jones Beach is set to happen September 23rd! Count me in!

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM70.3 Jones Beach, New York (Long Island) [chanthony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
link? i don't see this on the IM Site
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent this PM to someone over three months ago. I thought this race was going to be the new 70.3 announcement in October but it was the Western Mass race announcement.

Quote:
As I mentioned in that thread, sources say Jones Beach 70.3 will be September 30 or October 1, 2023. Bay swim in Zach’s Bay. Bike course will be 14 mile out and back done twice on Ocean Parkway. Run somewhere in the state park. Transition will likely be in the big parking lot just to the southwest of the theater.

I thought that would be the race announcement yesterday.

Looks like Ironman is targeting the northeast again. The new 70.3 races are all there (PA, MA, NY).

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jan 25, 23 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No official announcement yet, although Ironman did publish an unlisted YouTube Video in preparation for it below.

https://youtu.be/l_wvu6KMvTg
Last edited by: IronNH: Jan 25, 23 7:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excited for this! I grew up in the area and always thought it would be a good location for a race. Putting it down on the calendar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never been to LI and this looks like a lot of fun. I'm thinking 2024!!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QQ - anyone know what kind of drive it would be like from JFK? I would fly from BVT to JFK and rent a car. Maybe see other parts of LI after the race.

Quote Reply
Re: IM70.3 Jones Beach, New York (Long Island) [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JFK to Jones Beach can be as little as 35 minutes, without any traffic. So it will heavily depend on when you arrive. The rental car area is about a 10-15min AirTrain ride from your terminal.

Lots to see on Long Island, and if you want, the Long Island Rail Road can get you into Manhattan, if you want the city experience too.

I grew up in Queens and did all of my Ironman training on the north shore of Long Island, Nassau and Suffolk counties, so I'm quite familiar with some of the best riding you can get on the island.

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chanthony wrote:
JFK to Jones Beach can be as little as 35 minutes, without any traffic. So it will heavily depend on when you arrive. The rental car area is about a 10-15min AirTrain ride from your terminal.

Lots to see on Long Island, and if you want, the Long Island Rail Road can get you into Manhattan, if you want the city experience too.

I grew up in Queens and did all of my Ironman training on the north shore of Long Island, Nassau and Suffolk counties, so I'm quite familiar with some of the best riding you can get on the island.

That all sounds good! Yeah I figure there will be some travel to the car rental area. The flight from BTV to JFK is usually around an hour or less depending on the flight.

I would be fun to see more of LI afterward. I've flown over it so many times as JFK is usually where I get connecting flights. And always been intrigued by LI.

And a closed bike course!! Are you kidding me! That is awesome!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Westchester Triathlon is the same weekend. Seems like IM is committed to lining up their new races the same weekend as well established ones. MightyMan is also the weekend after. Toughman is the weekend before. It's hard to race back to back weekends so instead of spacing things out they're forcing you to choose. You could do this race in mid-October so that people can race 2-3 of these. 70.3 Atlantic City is also on the 10th. Probably some crossover there too.
Last edited by: dcpinsonn: Jan 25, 23 8:52
Quote Reply
Re: IM70.3 Jones Beach, New York (Long Island) [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYC Tri is 10/1, so I think IM did an okay job not putting it that weekend.
That's the beauty of racing...you can CHOOSE to race or not. You can also choose to complain or not to complain ;-)

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
chanthony wrote:

That all sounds good! Yeah I figure there will be some travel to the car rental area. The flight from BTV to JFK is usually around an hour or less depending on the flight.

I would be fun to see more of LI afterward. I've flown over it so many times as JFK is usually where I get connecting flights. And always been intrigued by LI.

I would just drive from VT to Jones Beach. By the time you factor getting to BVT two hours before flight, the flight, putzing around getting rental at JFK, and driving to Jones Beach area you could've almost been there in your own car. For me anything I can drive to in 8 hours or less is a drive and not a flight, especially if I'm schlepping around gear and bike.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jan 25, 23 9:01
Quote Reply
Re: IM70.3 Jones Beach, New York (Long Island) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
chanthony wrote:

I would just drive from VT to Jones Beach. By the time you factor getting to BVT two hours before flight, the flight, putzing around getting rental at JFK, and driving to Jones Beach area you could've almost been there in your own car. For me anything I can drive to in 8 hours or less is a drive and not a flight, especially if I'm schlepping around gear and bike.

That's a possibility too. From my house in northern VT it would be 6 hrs and 43 minutes according to google maps. And no air travel is always nice. I do have friends/family in both CT and MA that I could visit on the way back.

If we were to drive out as far as Montauk I'm wondering if we could take a ferry back to CT. I'd also like to see Fire Island which looks close to Jones Beach. I may bring back up this thread later on when I know when/if I'm doing this one - 2023 or 2024 but most likely after 2023. I'd like to know more about Fire Island. Landlocked in VT, I always crave the ocean.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
chanthony wrote:

That's a possibility too. From my house in northern VT it would be 6 hrs and 43 minutes according to google maps. And no air travel is always nice. I do have friends/family in both CT and MA that I could visit on the way back.

If we were to drive out as far as Montauk I'm wondering if we could take a ferry back to CT. I'd also like to see Fire Island which looks close to Jones Beach. I may bring back up this thread later on when I know when/if I'm doing this one - 2023 or 2024 but most likely after 2023. I'd like to know more about Fire Island. Landlocked in VT, I always crave the ocean.

The ferry actually leaves from Orient Point on the North Fork, not from Montauk on the South Fork. And the drive from Jones Beach to Montauk, depending on traffic could be over 2 hours. Fire Island is definitely much closer.

There is actually a bike path from where the race site is, heading east towards Fire Island but doesn't make it there as Fire Island is a different barrier island.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chanthony wrote:
Just heard that IM70.3 Jones Beach is set to happen September 23rd! Count me in!

I always told myself I'd sign up if this race happened. I've actually raced against you in years past (much more slowly).

Any idea how to get in on the Priority Registration tomorrow?
Quote Reply
Re: IM70.3 Jones Beach, New York (Long Island) [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
chanthony wrote:

The ferry actually leaves from Orient Point on the North Fork, not from Montauk on the South Fork. And the drive from Jones Beach to Montauk, depending on traffic could be over 2 hours. Fire Island is definitely much closer.

There is actually a bike path from where the race site is, heading east towards Fire Island but doesn't make it there as Fire Island is a different barrier island.

Funny, I was just looking at that bike path along the Ocean Parkway. Looks amazing! Ocean views....... *sigh*....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
teichs42 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
chanthony wrote:

I only rode it once, but I feel like you can't actually see the ocean over the dunes, haha! I could be wrong though

Funny, I was just looking at that bike path along the Ocean Parkway. Looks amazing! Ocean views....... *sigh*....

I've only ridden it once, but I feel like I remember not being able to see the ocean over the dunes. I could be wrong though.
Last edited by: teichs42: Jan 25, 23 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: IM70.3 Jones Beach, New York (Long Island) [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
chanthony wrote:

Can't get to the nicer parts of FI from the bike path, it's all "wilderness."

Can drive out to the hamptons/Montauk, probably about 1 1/2 hrs from Jones.

Drive back to port Jefferson and take the ferry straight across to bridgeport, from there you are very close to New haven to shoot up 91 to 89. May people from LI drive up to southern & central VT every week for skiing, so a september trip is totally doable. Note the orient ferry goes way east to New london.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chanthony wrote:
NYC Tri is 10/1, so I think IM did an okay job not putting it that weekend.
That's the beauty of racing...you can CHOOSE to race or not. You can also choose to complain or not to complain ;-)

It's not a complaint -- it's a problem. Ironman is intentionally trying to kill local races.
Quote Reply