Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IA vs P5
Quote | Reply
Got myself a little stuck trying to choose between the Ultegra Di2 IA disc & the Ultegra Di2 P5D. Any massive reasons either way that should sway the decision? Obviously the IA is cheaper, but does the P5D justify the higher price? I guess by the time you tidy up the front end of the IA (perhaps with a new bar, getting all the cabling internal etc) that brings them closer together in price. The IA comes with some deep section wheels too, it from what I understand they aren't the best from Reynolds by any means & would just end up being some slightly more aero training wheels or up on fleabay.
Just looking for some general opinion, or if anyone has ridden both that'd be great 👍
Quote Reply
Re: IA vs P5 [Maka_tak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Cervelo P5 seems to be consistently tested & regarded as the fastest bike on the market. Though, the Felt IA is not far behind. If I were shopping now and had the budget, I would get one of the top Cervelos. I currently have a Felt IA, and I absolutely love it. It is massively upgraded from original spec.

IMHO, one of the flaws in all the upper-tier bikes is the wheels. They usually spec mid-performance wheels that I would not want. I only want a 90mm front and disc rear. Anything less is junk to me. So, I wish they spec'd the bikes with junk wheels to lower the price a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you not looking at one of the IA's with the carbon base bar and integrated stem? That's one of the cleanest front end setups you can get. The only thing I would change is ditching the f-bemd extensions for something better. Disc brakes, while I'm not a total proponent for TT bikes, solved the only major flaw of the IA which was their pain in the ass rim brakes.

If you want tilt in your pads and extensions, you can do that with inexpensive aftermarket spacers on the IA and for the P5D I think you need to spend a couple grand to buy the P3X bar.

Other than that just go with what your gut tells you. They're both great.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The P5d is undoubtedly "more faster" than the IA, more adjustable, and more able to accommodate an orthodox time trial fit.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IA vs P5 [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new IA's have the dagger stem (non-integrated) with a Devox 3.1. Cables don't route through the stack, they come out the back of the bar etc too. Got fairly good adjustment I'm led to believe, but not the prettiest/tidiest front end.

The more I think, the more I lean to P5....

Better aftermarket support & re-sale too? Just trying to convince myself now! 😂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2020 IA FRD, IA advanced etap axs, IA advanced Ultegra DI2, IA advanced Ultegra and the IA advanced frame set all have the integrated stem and carbon base bar. Here's mine. Yeah... I'm getting around to fixing that extension...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
InstagramFacebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: May 15, 20 11:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not completely sure on this but isn't a P3X a similar price to the P5? Both you'd be interested in have disc brakes and Ultegra Di2. Seems the P3X might be more attractive compared to the P5 cockpit (based on opinions I've seen here about it...no experience with it myself).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the P5 UCI legal (or has a variant with a different fork that is) for TT's but the IA and P3X are not (aka for "Tri use" only).

What about an Scott Plasma Premium? I've been lusting after those recently. But they might be more expensive though (haven't checked prices on the latest ones).
Last edited by: loxx0050: May 15, 20 12:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the FRD does, but this is the front of the IA Advanced Disc Ultegra Di2:

Not quite as 'tidy' I'm sure you'll agree.
Last edited by: Maka_tak: May 15, 20 14:51
Quote Reply
Re: IA vs P5 [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here in the UK the difference in price between the two is $1700. The P5 being the cheaper - hence slight swayed that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I owned a rim brake version IA FRD.
I'd go with the Cervelo, no question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maka_tak wrote:
Maybe the FRD does, but this is the front of the IA Advanced Disc Ultegra Di2:

Not quite as 'tidy' I'm sure you'll agree.

Bummer. They used to come with the nicer front end
My bike is the IA advanced frame set and it had the integrated carbon front end. I bought it in September or October.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What hydration set up is that?
Quote Reply
Re: IA vs P5 [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made it. Been doing some front-end CFD work and trying to make better cockpit hydration. I might turn it into a product. Not sure yet. Trying to improve aero but also all the little annoying things about most available systems. Now that my factories in Italy for the shoe are open again, this is kinda taking a back seat.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep me in mind if you decide to sell one.

Looks very slick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ed,
Is that a 3D printed hydration system? Good to hear you're thinking about engineering some more cycling specific products (I think Alden Carbon may have sparked in a similar fashion from in part, input from ST'rs and desire to have just better products than what was out there already).

So what's the update on your shoes aside from factories just started up again?

I've just ordered new pedals & my shoes are toast from a wreck last fall...starting to window shop ;-) (and no I haven't really been riding but a few spins on the trainer with old shoes on the backup bike)...so looking at equipment now.
Quote Reply
Re: IA vs P5 [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's 3d printed. Obviously we got hit with a huge delay with the lockdown in Italy but I believe we will be on the market with the shoe within 90 days now.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Bummer. They used to come with the nicer front end

Only for the lucky ones... a lot of people can't get into a proper TT position on an IA. Most, including Josh Amberger, have to get the aftermarket -17 Dagger stem and/or some sort of undermount system.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IA vs P5 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heard back from the LBS, best we're looking at is:
£4500 ($5500) on the IA Advanced Disc Ultegra Di2
£5700 ($7000) for the P5D Ultegra Di2
£6900 ($8450) for the P5D w/ DT Swiss 1400's.

Guess the general opinion is that the P5 is still worth the extra? Didn't hear much support for the IA in general.

Could always swap the IA bar for the Trimax Carbon SI 013 to get internal routing too.

Cheers
Last edited by: Maka_tak: May 19, 20 7:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The IA is a fantastic bike. It is probably as close as you can find to the speed of the P5. They probably are not very different in terms of speed, but the P5 probably is faster. So, the key question is how much that extra £1200 is worth to you for the small incremental speed difference. For me, it would be a tough decision... that is right on the bubble of spend the premium price to get the fastest frame. If you want a tilt cockpit, that starts the kill the value of the P5 and would pivot me back to the IA.
Quote Reply
Re: IA vs P5 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell me about it! Perhaps I need to be looking at the fact that realistically I won't own this bike the rest of my life & I may well end up getting the majority of the £1200 back on re-sale....

I think I already know that in a world where I just freely choose irrespective of the price I'd probably end up with a P5. But we don't live in that world & I don't want to spend £1200 if I don't have too! Especially since the IA comes with a perfectly useable set of Reynolds Carbon too....

Think I'm going to have park this in my mind for a few days & re-visit - I'm in too deep!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$1500 USD is not nothing. Depends on what your goals are and how you assign value to things. If it were me, I'd get the fastest bike with the most adjustability and not look back.

Quote Reply