Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I've been "fixed"!
Quote | Reply
After 2 days of commuting on my new fixie (42x17 - there are hills in Vancouver) I have had a few revelations: (Comments are welcome, especially from experienced fixed gear riders)

1. I need another pair of clipless pedals. I can do the "kick & filp" to enter the cage no problem, but there's NO WAY I'm getting that 2nd strap done up. Even if it were possible, I'd hate to have to loosen it in a hurry. Makes me wonder what they did before clipless pedals were available (ride with one foot loose?)

2. This is similar to a TT in that I don't move around on the saddle all that much - consequently, my decision to not bother with bike shorts and the re-use of an old saddle has left me a little tender. Not wanting to have to bother with carrying an extra set of clothes, I guess a new saddle and perhaps a seat pad is in order.

3. My legs are sore! It took me a little while to figure it out, but I think the reverse pressure from controlled descents and stopping for traffic lights is causing this. I liken it to performing "negative" leg presses at the gym. Hopefully I'll get stronger in a hurry. This bodes well for next year's race season (stronger legs never hurt anybody).

4. I can power up the same hills in a 42x17 that I normally spin up in a 39x28 on my tri-bike. WTF?!!! Sure I'm using a lot more power and "stomping" them, but that can't be all there is to it. Is the pie-plate in the back a mental crutch? Can the geometry (~73deg seat tube) make that much of a difference? Is it the "true" elimination of the dead spot in the pedal rotation? (This could also contribute to the leg soreness, but I doubt it's the major factor)

5. After my first significant ride, I noticed that the BB was coming loose on the drivetrain side. Again, I chalk this up to "back pressure". Re-installed the cup with Lock-Tite and it seems to be holding. Looking down a lot for now. Interestingly, I never saw this phenomenon noted anywhere when researching fixed gear riding.

6. Awareness is greatly increased, not having the coast/quick stop options available to me. Took a dive into a pothole today when I learned that I can't bunny-hop the fixie. Well, maybe it's possible - but I tried to "level" the pedals just before the pothole and it sure didn't work out the way I had planned! No more snoozing on the bike (probably a good thing anyway).

7. Trackstands do not come naturally just because I have a fixed gear. I was kind of close a few times, but this is going to take some practice. Hopefully I'll be able to master this and transfer it to my freewheel bikes with a little front brake usage.

8. Remaining smooth at extremely high cadences is difficult. My courrier bag shifted WAY over to the side halfway down the first big hill as a result of my bouncing around. This is good. Now I will learn "souplesse".

9. DAMN THIS IS FUN!!!!! I can't imagine why I never tried this before, but am now totally in love with the fixed gear. Heading for the 'drome this winter (hopefully they'll let me ride Miranda, but otherwise I guess I'll have to rent a steed).

10. I feel like Bunny with a new cause. "Not all winners may ride fixed, but those who do have more fun!"

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: I've been "fixed"! [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone needs a political cause, and fixed gear is as good as any I can think of. How 'bout " Winners train with a fixed gear in the off-season!"?

Fixed gear bikes are mucho fun. I got back into one last winter and never looked back. If the TTs and bike legs of multisport events were flatter, I would definitely ride my track bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hats off, I can see myself cruising the flats south of the Fraser - but commuting in the city? No sir. The couriers who use a fixed gear the day long blow my mind.

Does this mean you'll also be showing up at the Burnaby Velodrome?

Best,

TonyG

What is Enoch Root?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the CULT!
I was talking to a friend about the climbing power you talked about. We both seem to climb much better in the fixed gear when we "power" over the small 200m hill. I personally think it is because of the fact you can carry momentum through the drive train, and that momentum pushes you through that dead spot. I am not a physics major, but it makes some sort of sense to me. I never heard of the bottom bracket loosening unless it wasn't tight enough to begin with, but it sounds like you have that under control. Trackstands are fun, and you can practice them anywhere. I learned on a velodrome, and practiced in my living room, kitchen and on the slight slope of a driveway. Turning the bike into a slight uphill (like the backstraight of a 'drome) can make it a little easier. You turn the front wheel into the slope, and the rest of the bike is pointing slightly down hill. Watch Curt Hartnett do a trackstand and you'll see what I mean. I ride clipless on the road, and cages on the track. I was taught that if you unclip on the track you usually find yourself in a whole lot of trouble, and you endanger everyone else. You will always have the chance to hold onto a wall or a bench and tighten your straps down, or even have someone help you at the track. On the road, clipless have rarely been a problem for me, and until you get comfortable with the trackstand, stoplights are their own special pain in the ass. If you ride with cages, double straps are a must on the track, but maybe not so on the road (this is an opinion, not by any means fact).
As far as the bunnyhopping, it can be done, but I usually try to avoid it. If you are lucky, you may get an instructor at the track (don't know if you have development programs there) who will teach you how to throw the bike at the finish of a race, and maybe they can help you with the bunnyhop, which is sort of a related skill. I know how to do it, but I couldn't explain it worth a damn. (Like sort of, like, well, like pedaling in the air and remembering to keep pedaling when you land, but keeping your weight centered, but slightly back, like...I don't know!)
Sorry for the ramble, but have fun! I ride a 45/18, which is a nice gear for around here, but having been to Vancouver, I think you are a STUD for riding anything bigger that a 39/19!
Ride well!

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fixed is fun!

As far as the improvement in your climbing, there is substantially less drag in the drivetrain as well.

I ride a 43x18 all winter and have raced some TTs on my fixed gear bike, and old 3Rencho road frame. This has netted me a 54:22 PR for 40k on a cold day in the spring and with "race" fitness in the summer on my aero TT bike with all the bells and whistles I've only been able to manage a few seconds faster.

I'm waiting for the ideal day with the ideal gear to lower that PR on the fixed gear. If you've got a local weekly TT ride or a training loop, try your hand at riding both bikes under similar conditions, I think you'll be suprised.

I'm pretty sure Obree rode fixed to many National British TT titles with a gear in the 56x14 range.

Yikes!

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: I've been "fixed"! [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Everyone needs a political cause, and fixed gear is as good as any I can think of. How 'bout " Winners train with a fixed gear in the off-season!"?
Unfortunately, I'd have to BE a winner to really sell that. ;)

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: I've been "fixed"! [TonyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Does this mean you'll also be showing up at the Burnaby Velodrome?
I'm damned well gonna try! I want to take the "learn to race track" series, but have to allign my desires with my finances. We'll see... (I also emailed someone there about drop-in memberships as $400 for the season seems a little heavy - but I've yet to receive a reply...)

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: I've been "fixed"! [JM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the trackstand tips - I'll be sure to post when I get it down. :)

It's entirely possible that I didn't tighten the cup enough the first time, as I'm a far cry from a pro wrench. Lock-Tite seems to have resolved the issue however.

I'm familliar with the "normal" bike throw, but how to do so with both pedals moving is a little beyond my expertise. If I end up taking that track racing series at the 'drome I'll be sure to ask, otherwise I guess it'll be trial and error. Guess it has to be quicker as there's no time to "set" first?

Also, thanks for the kind words but I'm hardly a stud on the bike. Crawled up Cypress Mountain today in a little over an hour using my 39x28 (tri bike) at around 8kph. It was a tough grind. Fun, but now the legs are pretty torched. Knee hurts too. Oh well - nothing a day or two of rest won't cure (I hope!)

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khai,

I started my fixed gear adventure earlier this summer. Great fun and an excellent training tool!

1. I use SPD pedals on my fixie as getting in can be tough. I would recommend some crank brothers egg beaters as they are 4 sided and improve your chances of getting clipped in when the crank is moving.

2. A nice soft saddle and learning to pedal circles really fast can help. Also, learning to stand on short low hills can give you some relief. You definitely find that you spend more time in the saddle supporting your weight with your butt on a fixie. On a standard bike, you can drop a leg and relieve pressure whenever you want.

3. If you are going to ride a fixie on the road, the best bet is to have at least ONE brake on it. Most opt for a front brake. Because my rear hub does not have a reverse thread lockring, I have had to put a front and rear brake on.

4. Likely you are exerting a similar amount of POWER but it is being delivered differently. The amount of power required to get up the hill didn't change, just how you can deliver it. The fixie certainly demands a different kind of riding than a bike with lots of gears. Your dead spot hasn't been eliminated. That is a physiological thing. But certainly the pedal is pushing your leg over. Learning to pull at the bottom of your pedal stroke and pull with your hip flexors with make that stomping less pronounced. You want to spin on your fixie just as you do on your geared bicycle.

5. Likely your BB was not tight enough to begin with, just as you opined later on. Loctite is also a good way to keep your cog on your hub if you don't have a reverse thread lockring. I have to do this because of that. I use loctite and an old BB lockring to keep things snug. No problems yet! But I have a rear brake just in case something bad happens.

6. Having a brake on the front will help. You really must have one if you ride on the roads. Bunny hopping on a fixed gear is nearly impossible. I haven't heard of anyone who can do it.

7. No trackstands are not natural. Practice on the grass before you do this at a stop light.

8. This is the real benefit of riding a fixie. To avoid bouncing you have to pedal circles with both legs ALWAYS. The bounce is a result of that "non-power" leg not being pulled up. If you were riding power cranks, that crank would be lagging, or out of sequence.

9. Yes, fixed gears are fun for the few of us brave enough to try them!! I love my fixie, for it's simplicity, novelty, and elegance.

10. Amen.

See you on the road.

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird thing happened when I started fixed-gear commuting a few years back – I joined a “club” I didn’t know existed. Now, bike messengers ride up to me on the street and say things like “nice ride”, or something like that. One messenger rode up to me telling me that he has been “on the streets” for 14 years and has “been hit by a car only 7 times”.
Quote Reply
Re: I've been "fixed"! [Bru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some real fun maybe you can make a Softride in to a fixed gear...bounce away.....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply