Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm tired of see-through swimsuits! Are there any suits that last longer?
Quote | Reply
How long do your swim shorts last before they become transparent? It seems like mine don't last very long before I have to replace them. Anyone have any advice on materials or suits that last longer? I tend to like the square-cut models best if that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm tired of see-through swimsuits! Are there any suits that last longer? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been told that non-lycra suits hold up best in the pool. Mine seem to hold up okay, but I wash them out religiously after every session. Buying black seems to help, too ;)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: I'm tired of see-through swimsuits! Are there any suits that last longer? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have a square cut tyr that's 100% polyester that i've been using for almost a year now in the pool. the color (black) has faded a little, but it has not really stretched, lost it's shape or integrity at all. i've actually had 2 seperate swim shops not affiliated in any way both recommend 100% polyester suits for frequent swimming in chlorinated water. the material feels kind of funny at first, but it sure seems to last.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanwear.com has a heavy weight lycra training suit that i have worn that works very well and lasts much longer. Be sure to stay out of the hot tub w/ the suit and rinse it very well.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I save all of the beat-up suits and wear them underneath a Speedo drag suit. The drag suit is made of mesh and will probably out live me, and the worn suits just act as liners. eric

---------------------------------------------
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water polo suits are built to last. Speedo and Dolphin are good brands but there are others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A pretty simple rule for expected life of a swim suit is as follows:

1) most durable least stretch - nylon

2) polyester

3) most stretch least durable - lycra

The greater the blend of polyester or nylon to lycra, the creater the life expectancy. When using more nylon (or polyester), the trade off is between greater wareability and less comfort.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
that's so funny... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...I had noticed a couple of months ago while sitting in a public pool that I could see myself as if I had stretch nylons on! (I'd never had a swimsuit wearout before). I tossed them immed. and bought a new suit.

So, then yesterday, I'm waiting for a lane at the Y when a friend of mine who I ride with gets out of the pool and I noticed that I could see her butt as if she wasn't wearing a suit. Last night, I debated telling her, 'cause I knew it would embar-ass her but I told her. She was grateful. Now I don't get to see her butt anymore. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the Speedo drag suit. That is what I wear. It's actually two layers of fabric with the outside layer more baggy. It is more of the box cut that you are looking for and it seems like the material lasts forever. Also, it leaves a little more to the imagination since it doesn't hug like a regular speedo-like fitting suit.
Quote Reply
Re: that's so funny... [pat mcnamara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat--You're ruining it for the rest of us.
Quote Reply
Re: that's so funny... [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike polyester(sp?) drag suits lasted the longest for anyone I know, including myself. Regular speedo's kinda just go after a month. But that's why your wearing a drag suit on top. =)
Quote Reply
Water Polo Suits [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water Polo Suits last longer as they are designed to be grabbed, etc., without ripping. (Also, waterpolo is great training for the begining of a mass start swim!) David K
Quote Reply