Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm putting GC aerolab into my Excel. Why? Just for fun...
Quote | Reply
So far the math is working out on a sample ride of some coliseum laps. I didn't like ignoring air speed versus ground, so added some vector math based on Weatherunderground from time of the ride.

Basically I paste in the GXP file and it spits out the graph. Guess at the CdA just like in GC to get the slope flat. Then add more runs to track changes.

FWIW, adding the vector addition for wind got the "CdA actual" away from being something super unrealistic to something MUCH closer to reality. Not reality, but instead of something stupid like 0.17 for clip-ons on a road bike........got it to 0.27. Much closer. That's not the point, the point is tracking changes. But, having a nicer value to work with helps a bit I think.

Will now play with this with multiple runs with obvious aero changes to do a stink test on the math and sheet.

Again, why???? A used laptop is like $250. This is just for fun.

Quote Reply
Re: I'm putting GC aerolab into my Excel. Why? Just for fun... [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice.

Before there was Aerolab, several people did this in Excel.

If you have well-defined laps, sometimes it's handy to "stack" the lap profiles on top of each other.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm putting GC aerolab into my Excel. Why? Just for fun... [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool! that's how I started rolling my own software. I've actually been working on this over the weekend i.e. calculating effective airspeed and yaw using a weather data API albeit in a more automated fashion - by calculating heading from GPS coordinates and then relative wind direction etc. It's going to be included in the next build of mycda.app probably sometime this week. Right now you can plug in airspeed as part of a .CSV file.
I've played with my IMAZ race file last night and as soon as I plugged in airspeed into my VE implementation the VE and elevation graphs pretty much lined up perfectly. Pretty cool considering there was a change in wind direction on the 3rd loop.

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: trailerhouse: May 6, 19 10:22
Quote Reply
Re: I'm putting GC aerolab into my Excel. Why? Just for fun... [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool.

I've looked at "virtual wind" profiles and tried matching them up to known wind speed and direction in the same way that you can compare VE with actual elevation profiles. It seemed to work pretty well but it was still noisier than a VE profile. When I do have on-bike airspeed and yaw sensor data, the combined VE profile can be (unsurprisingly?) very good. That's encouraging: that Isaac Newton guy was pretty sharp.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm putting GC aerolab into my Excel. Why? Just for fun... [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all.

Part of it is learning about the science and where all this stuff came from. I could try to save up my money and prioritize buying a sensor and stuff first, but I like the discovery aspect. I think through the learning, if I understand it more I might be able to better use the tools.

I appreciate Mr. Chung's and other's efforts in the past towards these tools. It's really cool/fun stuff. Particularly for people never with enough money (or talent) to make use of a wind tunnel.

I got really excited even before adding the wind vectors because the course profile of the laps I did were clearly visible as virtual elevation. Then, once the wind vectors were added, got even closer to what it is on the real road.

Here's the zoom in on TP of the recorded elev. versus what came out for virtual elevation:

Quote Reply