Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I'm hungry ALL THE TIME!!!
Quote | Reply
I am never not hungry. It's all training. When I wasn't training, I never really got hungry and just sorta ate. I have no metabolism... OK... very slow. I just look at what some of the kids at work eat and I gain 5 lbs. I'm also not small @ about 215 or so (with another 15 to lose).

So yesterday. 2.5 hr ride before work w/ 1 mi T-run starting at 4:45

7:30 AM bowl of special K cereal.
9:00 AM handfull of grapes and coffee
11:30 about 6 oz of left over pork roast and cup of dannon fit and healthy yogurt
3PM 8 5" celery stalks w/ 1/2 cup of peanut butter
5PM banana
7:30 PM 4 homemade fish tacos on multi grain tortilla w/ spinach and mango salsa, couple of handfulls of chips and diet coke.
That dinner put me over the top and i was uncomfortably full. I just can't get it right!!!

What do you guys do for food when you're training? I'm baffled as I don't ever recall being this hungry as an adult.

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: I'm hungry ALL THE TIME!!! [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I eat when I'm hungry, but try not to make myself uncomfortably full.

Those fish tacos sound good...next time you should invite me over and I'll take one off of your hands, that ought to help with that full feeling! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude,
Thats a lot of shit you eat, under the pseudo-name of being 'healthy".

First of all, eat something more substantial for breakfast than some kiddie cereal.

Second, if you are always hungry - why did the dinner put you over the top?

Obviously you know the answer to your own question. Eat balanced through-out the day, not night-heavy or lunch-heavy or morning-heavy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I eat more frequently than you do. Especially in the early morning/afternoon. You are going 3.5 hours without eating at all from 11:30-3.
I eat something once / hour almost unless I am in meetings and even then I will usually take something quiet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being hungry is just a byproduct of training. I kind of like it, it means the engine is roaring. I eat pretty much like you do with three meal and mid-morning and afternoon snack. I think it's the way to go. If you are trying to cut weight, I would maybe say cut the tacos from 4 to 2 and the afternoon peanut butter from a 1/2 cup to maybe a tablespoon.

Re: I'm hungry ALL THE TIME!!! [ancientdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
First of all, eat something more substantial for breakfast than some kiddie cereal.
Special K is far from kiddie cereal. It's definitely not substantial enough for one in training, but it's not kiddie cereal.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Special K is far from kiddie cereal. It's definitely not substantial enough for one in training, but it's not kiddie cereal.

If ingredients contain sugar or high fructose corn syrup in the top 5, it is a kiddie cereal. For Special K it's the 3rd and 5th ingredient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is normal in your situation to be hungry all day. It means that you are training enough.

I eat a lot as well during my heavy training weeks. I never count what I eat, but I know it is a lot. I think it is very normal for all of us.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm hungry ALL THE TIME!!! [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, see I'm Canadian. No high fructose corn syrup here. All of our ingredients are quite different.

Quote | Reply
I am a canuck as well. There is still sugar/fructose/glucose as the third ingredient.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough... wasn't arguing that at all. I stick to my Kashi :)

(aren't you glad we don't have the corn syrup!)

Last edited by: cuds: Aug 6, 08 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: I'm hungry ALL THE TIME!!! [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll admit, I'm a cereal whore. I don't touch the uber kiddie cereals, but love Kashi, smart start, some almond thing that I know is bad...

So what's a "decent" one?

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're going for cereal, I think Kashi is about as good as it gets. All natural, protein, fiber, etc. I'm a bit of a fiend :)

Quote | Reply
Plain Oatmeal with fruit will keep you very nicely sustained for a good part of the morning. If you have to (and I do if I workout in the morning) make the Oatmeal with Vanilla Soy Milk to add a little flavour. Cut up strawberries and throw some blueberries in there. YUM!
And no I am not talking about the instant Oatmeal packages.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm hungry ALL THE TIME!!! [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Fair enough... wasn't arguing that at all. I stick to my Kashi :)

(aren't you glad we don't have the corn syrup!)

Yeah, I use to be a Vector whore. I would boxes of that crap all the time. Tasted oh so good but was oh so bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Plain Oatmeal with fruit will keep you very nicely sustained for a good part of the morning. If you have to (and I do if I workout in the morning) make the Oatmeal with Vanilla Soy Milk to add a little flavour. Cut up strawberries and throw some blueberries in there. YUM!

Whats wrong with the Oatmeal packets??

I'm not big on cereals, but can just about stomach porridge from time to time, Just wish I could find something as tasty and as filling as a bacon roll..........?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll preface my post by admitting that i'm a 21 year old guy, 5'11'', 155lbs and probably less than 5% body fat...

You're body is probably hurting for 5000+ calories a day. You mention that you're an adult, but your metabolism is probably going pretty damn strong. I imagine that it would help you significantly to consume a good amount before and during your morning workout. You should plan on maybe 5 meals/large snacks a day rather than snacking on celery sticks...

an example of my yesterday:
6:30: wake up, eat bowl of raisin bran and have a glass of OJ
7:30: swim 3500 yards
9:30: banana, pretzels, granola bar, and a bottle of water
12:00: lunch: roast beef sandwich on whole wheat, fresh peach, banana, cookies, gatorade
2:30: another granola bar
4:30: home from work, 2 yogurts, banana
5:00: 42 mile group ride, followed by 2 mile brick run
7:30: huge bowl of spaghetti and meat sauce, 2 glasses of skim milk, mom's peach crisp dessert with ice cream
10:00: glass of juice, cinnamon toast, watermelon, bed.

Stuff like whole grain cereal, whole wheat bread, brown rice, or whole grain pasta can get you extra calories and keep you healthy. I find that I don't do nearly as well in the morning with frosted flakes as I do with something like frosted mini wheats or raisin bran.

Just keep training right and the weight will come down. then you'll be skinny like me and have to be careful not to gain weight in muscle!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm hungry ALL THE TIME!!! [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
peanut butter from a 1/2 cup to maybe a tablespoon

I agree in that based on my PB Trader Joes Crunchy Salted(ingredients: dry roasted peanuts, salt) that calculates out to be about 735kcals. Make sure you(140pt6) are using good PB, not the jif/skippy crap.

More meals would be better and where are the vegetables? Celery and a little spinach just don't cut it.

Also watch the kcals on the multi-grain tortillas. They can vary from 60 to 200+. I prefer the low-carb varieties with no artificial sweeteners. You can find some taco-sized ones at less than 60kcals with lots and lots of fiber.

Don't let people harass you about the special k. I eat real kiddie cereal(Dino Pebbles Smores this morning) and love it.

Hungry all the time is just a tri issue, but definitely reduced it to a slight pang, by eating a lot of low calorie, high fiber and protein meals.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm hungry ALL THE TIME!!! [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Whats wrong with the Oatmeal packets??

Well, I don't know about the UK but over here those little Oatmeal packs are filled with sugar. They are terrible:
http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/...uct.cfm?productid=47

Oh how I use to love the Peach one though.

I'm not big on cereals, but can just about stomach porridge from time to time, Just wish I could find something as tasty and as filling as a bacon roll..........?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Join the club. Try to add whey protein shakes to your diet (after workouts it helps you keep sane and you don't overeat) and drink plenty of water. Sometimes your body is really thirsty, not hungry.

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the "Lower Sugar" ones. Taste the same to me!!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kashi makes some good all-natural instant oatmeal packets, they aren't nearly as sweet as the Quaker ones and have a bit more of the good stuff (fiber, protein, lots of different grains, etc). That's what I eat as it is easier to make in the office than regular oatmeal.

------------------------------------------------
Ann Arbor Triathlon Club

Follow me on Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
7:30 AM bowl of special K cereal.
9:00 AM handfull of grapes and coffee
11:30 about 6 oz of left over pork roast and cup of dannon fit and healthy yogurt
3PM 8 5" celery stalks w/ 1/2 cup of peanut butter
5PM banana
7:30 PM 4 homemade fish tacos on multi grain tortilla w/ spinach and mango salsa, couple of handfulls of chips and diet coke.
That dinner put me over the top and i was uncomfortably full. I just can't get it right!!![/quote] if you undereat early in the day the physiological need for energy will catch up with you later and you wind up eating too much later on... eat a bigger breakfast and lunch. You've got very little fat and protein early in the day too - might try some toast and peanut butter, eggs, milk...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The plain oatmeal cooks just as fast without the sugar of pre-packaged ones. I put in a tablespoon of peanut butter, some cinnamon, half a serving of soy protein powder and some ground flax seeds. Lots of protein, fat and carbs plus fiber. Keeps me going for a couple hours.

Try more protein, looks like you are light on that. You are overeating because you aren't eating enough during the day. I start with big meals then go smaller and smaller as the day goes on, if I'm being good. Breakfast has the most calories whereas dinner has the least. Not by alot, maybe 150 - 200 calorie difference. I find I'm not as hungry at the end of the day when I do that. I also fuel myself during my training, even for sessions that only last an hour. I get really hungry after swimming but if I take in one bottle of Accelerade during the swim I eat a couple hundred calories less afterwards. I probably save at least a 100 calories that way. That can mean the difference between maintaining and losing weight.

Food is tricky. It takes a lot of experimentation to find what works for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also hungry all the time. It means the body is craving fuel. It's a good thing. Try to eat every couple of hours, this way you won't overeat at meal times. You want to keep your blood sugar steady, without spikes. Do this by eating slow-digesting foods and low-glycemic foods. Works for me.

~ AB ~
Quote Reply

Prev Next