Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I'm 51, and just had a 5x coronary artery bypass graft (cabg) surgery with no prior symptoms
Quote | Reply
EDIT:
I wanted to add a list of people and posts where they committed to getting tested as a result of this story. Maybe its vanity, but I take some pride in having had an influence on each of you. A few of these sound a bit scary and a lot like my own leadup to the events herein:

Hollywood_USAF: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7182078#p7182078
manofthewoods: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7182289#p7182289
Celerius: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7151760#p7151760
lightheir: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7151769#p7151769
mrtri123: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7152055#p7152055
dewman: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7152060#p7152060
mattsurf: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7150903#p7150903
tristart: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7151106#p7151106
Abergili: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7150639#p7150639
Mark Lemmon: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7150391#p7150391
Dr Alex Harrison: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ast-7150194#p7557321
WeakandPuny: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_view_flat#p7556558
Buble Bee https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_view_flat#p7276209

Original post follows.
----------------------------

This started in the 100/100 thread. Thought I'd share my experiences....even though I'm very much still in to middle of them.

I've been running 40-60 mpw (6x frequency) continuously since last September, after taking the summer off. I spent the fall training to set a pr in the 10k. The race was on Dec 20th, I finished 3rd overall behind two 20 somethings. My intent for the race was to break 40min, but that didn't happen. I missed by 2:30. Then I entered the 100/100, to focus on another attempt in the late spring.

A month ago, I had the flu. I convalessed for 4 days, then resumed training. As usual I took it easy coming back from respiratory infecting, just doing short easy 3 miles until Friday, when I ran 6. Saturday, my long run, I planned for 8-9 based on how I felt. I still had some lingering gunk from the flu. At 4 miles I felt kinda funny. Sort of a burning sensation that I attributed to irritated bronchii from coughing and gunk. I stopped and rested, felt better but decided to cut it short and head home (6 miles). I needed to stop two more times to get back home. Hr was normal for pace, and I felt fine once I got home.

I decided to give my lungs more time to heal, and wait until my last trail of cough subsided before resuming training. On Tuesday, I woke up with what felt like acid reflux. I took some medicine for that, but its slow acting and didn't help much. By Friday, I felt good enough to try a run. So, I went out for a 3 miles at lunch. I got about 1/2 mile into the run, and felt this moderate tension and slight burning in my upper chest. I stopped, walked it off, and tried again. This time in 30s the same sensation was back. I bailed, and walked back to my office.

I called my doctor, he asked a few questions and felt we could wait the weekend... But, needed to setup a stress test for Monday. No running, or stressful activity. Any further symptoms... Go to the ER.

The weekend went fine. I worked on painting my car in the shop. We went to bed Sunday night, but I couldn't sleep. At 2am I noticed a light tightness in my chest (a more subtle version of Friday) and a thump in my ears. I took a few deep breaths hoping to clear it. No luck. I tried to decide if I should wake my wife or wait until morning. At 230, I decided I would feel safer surrounded by professionals...more than I didnt want to scare my wife... So, I woke her.

At the hospital they drew blood and took and ekg. They said that they didn't see any signs of a heart attack, but there was something subtle on the Ekg they wasn't to review. They said we needed to wait for blood tests to confirm/deny heart damage, and that I would need to do another test in 3 hours. After about two hours they did a follow up ekg...which was normal.

At the three hour mark the cardiologist came to explain all of the above to me. The abnormality on the first ekg was heart strain. But, the blood work showed no signs of damage. While he was talking I got anxious, my hr started racing, and I began experiencing some burning in my throat...kind of like a lump. He went and got the Ekg machine, and confirmed the same strain noted in my first ekg.

At this point he explained that I'd basically just failed the stress test I was scheduled to have in a few hours. Further, he recommended an angiogram to confirm the nature and severity of my issues. He expected maybe one or two blockages... But, figured I had just one which could be resolved during the angiogram with one of several options.

I was added to the cath lab schedule late in the day on Monday. At around 7pm, I was taking into the room. The team was strikingly effecient in getting my on the table, cleaned, hooked up, and ready for the procedure. I was only sedated, still conscious. It seems like it lasted about 30s. The cardiologist came over and said, "remember those three options we discussed? Well, we are now in option 3. You need bypass surgery."

It turns out I had two 90% blockages, two 93% blockages, and one 98% blockage. The 98% blockage was in the left anterior descending artery (LAD) aka the widow maker. There were numerous other blockages, but they would all be bapassed as part of bypassing the major 5.

BTW, for the cardiologists in the audience... When briefing the family, using the term widow maker is NOT helpful. It is impactful, sure... So, if you are trying to make an impressing, ok. But, seriously, saying your husband's widow maker artery is 98% blocked... Isn't helping. I digress.

The surgery was scheduled for the Wednesday afternoon. I had a battery of preop tests to complete on Tuesday. Many remarks were made about my overall health, my low body fat, and the strength of my heart (artery occlusions notwithstanding). They did an echcardiogram of my heart, they did ultrasound of my corotid arteries, and they did an ultrasound of my leg veins. The leg veins would be harvested as donor material to replace my blocked arteries. In addition some arterial graft would be taken from inside my chest for the more critical bypasses.

Wednesday morning was final prep. They shaved me head to toe except for a landing strip---I now have a Brazilian. Then they wiped me with disinfectant wipes... Also from head to toe. I'm sure they did other things, but my mind was preoccupied with the nature of the surgery... And the low but real chance I might not wake up. This hospital does 650 cabg surgeries a year. In the last two years they have lost one patient. The national average, I've been told, is 1-1.5% fatality. Something to think about on a Wednesday morning, with little real choice in the matter.

The surgery? What the hell would I know. It was a quick 9 hours. The doctor said it went perfectly. He said as strong as my heart was on the echo before hand, he could see how the right side was not beating to full capacity when he opened me up. He also said there was clear improvement in the right side function post-graft.

I wake up at 9pm in a room with a bunch of people. No idea how many. It hurts, a lot. I'm still intubated, so now they want me to sit up and cough while they pull the tube out of my lungs. This is NOT pleasant, but it doesn't take long.

I am somewhat fortunate that I have a cardiac nurse in training and the trainer watching over me for the night. I have two nurses dedicated to me for their entire shift... They never leave my side. I have a back of ivs hooked up to me. They are making constant small adjustments to those ivs while monitoring my state, and the trainer is explain this all to the trainer. As I drift in and out I listen to their discussions, and quizzes.

Around 2am I'm pretty stable and conscious with level 4 pain. I'm able to talk. The news of my running has traveled all over the floor. My nurses are hobby runners. There are several others on the floor, some a little more serious. Everyone comes by to "see the runner" and talk. I probably chatted with 6-7 other nurses that night, including one point where there where 4 in my room at once. Note that I had four 1/2" diameter tubes inserted into my chest to drain off excess fluids from the lung and heart cavities.

Day1 post OP, Thursday, was a very bad day. Overnight I still had a bulk of the pain meds left from surgery. As the day started, those were wearing off to be replaced with other less potent ones. This time of opiod crisis is not good for the major surgery patient. I had one dose of 2mg morphine every 4 hours available to me. Everything else is non-narcotic (tylenol, etc). Those did not work for my pain. In the morning, they finally relented fot the morphine dose, after everything else had failed and I was in level 10 pain for over an hour. The 2mg brought me down to level 6 for the next 4 hours. But, by 3pm I'm back to level 7 and climbing. I get the full cocktail including the morphine, but I still climb right through level 8,then 9. My dad (a doctor) and I yell and cuss at the hospital staff and the nurse practitioner until we finally get a single dose of dilotted, and my morohine in leased to 4mg every 4.

The doctor also decided to remove my chest tubes. They had been mostly clear since 10am, and I wasnt draining much new fluid. But, I had to getup and walk for 5 minutes then see how much new fluid was collected.
Once that was done the doc agreed to remove them. An odd experience. First they remove all the dressings and cut the stitches holding my tubes to my skin. Then they told me to take a deep breath and exhale. As I exhale they pull these tubes out of my chest. My wife said they were like 18" long. It didn't hurt, but I could feel them sliding along my insides... Or so I think.

Removing the tubes didn't have an immediate effect but by morning, I was feeling much better. Friday was a good day. My pain was well controlled. Various therapists came by to work with me. Respiratory... To work on expanding my lungs and working my breathing muscles. Physical... To get me up and walking around the floor. Occupational... To work on how to do basic care tasks with a cracked chest. My fluids were still up, and I still had a couple ivs to ween off of. But, mast on the floor felt like I would go home on Saturday.

Day 2 post OP (Saturday). Also a good day. More of the same, really. I had breif hopes of being discharged. But, those were dashed by an in accurate weight record. The morning tech had misrecorded my morning weight. So the nurse in charge thought that I'd gained weight instead of losing two kgs. Oh well... One more relaxing day in the hospital wasn't that big of a deal. I had several friends and family come to Visit. One friend I hadn't seen in over 30 years.

Day 3 post-op (Sunday). I woke up today ready to go home. My morning weight was 1.5 kg below my admission weight. I was more sore, but I walked a ton the day before. So it want a surprise that my donation sites on my left leg were more tender. Also, the nerve block in my chest was starting to retract. The nurse came in and said she saw discharge orders on my chart. Yay! The hospital doctor came by and said I looked great and would be home soon. Then I went to the restroom for a difficult poo.

When I came back I felt woosy,and my heart beat felt really weird. Almost like it was backwards or something. The nurse came in immediately, because she'd seen it on the heart monitor. They took an ekg to find that I'm in 2:1 / 3:1 atrial flutter. Discharge cancelled. New iv drugs ordered. They make me feel horrible (week and lethargic). Monitor for another day, and ween down to an oral dose that I'll take for the next month.

Apparently, this is pretty common, occurring in up to 30-50% of cabg surgeries according to my doc. The heart is irritated from the surgery and sensitive to setting Up alternal rhythms like atrial flutter. Not serious, treatable, but not fun. Great. Still sucks.

Next I have to pee again. I call the nurse and she takes me into the bathroom. As I start to pee (standing) I feel the world start to spin. I reach for the commode and sit down. I have a movement while sitting... And the world just starts whirling like a top. I push to door open and tell the nurse. She helps me out, and I sit on the bed pullinup my pants. I'm sweating like I'm running during the summer in Kona. I'm drenched. Now I'm surrounded by 4-5 nurses. Helping me into bed, putting montionrs on me, and getting the Ekg... While others ask what happened.

They conclude it was likely a vagal syncopy which is frequently caused by urinating and/or pooping. It is also exacerbated by low BP, and low blood volume. I was weighed at 4am, while still on iv diuretics. I was given oral diuretics at 7am. I peed 2 liters of fluid and pooped in the intervening hours. So, I was probably down to 68-69 kg...3-4 kg below admission.

Scarriest experience of my life. Also, left me wiped out like I'd just run a half marathon.

I've spent the rest of the day suffering through the effects of the amiodarone... The drug for my arythmia. I'm tapering off of it now and just took my first oral dose. Today is another chance to leave this place... Assuming nothing else happens.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jul 23, 21 14:42
Quote Reply
Re: I'm 51, and just had a 5x coronary artery bypass graft (cabg) surgery with no prior symptoms [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, condolences for the setback. Those coronary artery events can get even high level athletes, although for sure, there' some protective effect - in your case, sounds like your being attuned to your normal fitness was enough to get you the right warnings in time for an intervention.

Best of luck with the recovery - keep us posted on your comeback!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm 51, and just had a 5x coronary artery bypass graft (cabg) surgery with no prior symptoms [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had one thought about it now... Though it's still early day...

The symptoms are freightenly subtle. The tightness in my chest? Seemed like a sore throat. I ignored it once and waited another week including another stress even (running). With a 98% blockage of the widow maker, I could have died any day that week.

We train ourselves to push through pain.

If I look back at training over the last 6 months, I know there have been certain high intensity workouts that just weren't "right". I felt bad on a hilly training run, so I bagged the hills and just ran 13 miles. I don't know for sure, but I suspect now with hindsight that I was probably bumping against the flow limits of my heart arteries. The symptoms were just a little more subtle, and I just called it an "off day".
Quote Reply
Re: I'm 51, and just had a 5x coronary artery bypass graft (cabg) surgery with no prior symptoms [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that's scary! All the best for recovery.

So the million dollar question-what lead to this and what if anything can be done for the rest of us to avoid it? Id imagine your diet would be pretty good, so is it just genetics and you are dammed no matter what?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever do a treadmill stress test prior to this event? I ended up having to do one for life insurance due to a benign heart block - I'm probably going to make myself do one every 5 years even though the cardiologists don't explicitly recommend it, just to avoid hidden CAD events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow Tom! So sorry to hear that you've had to go through all this, but I'm glad it was caught in time and addressed. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm 51, and just had a 5x coronary artery bypass graft (cabg) surgery with no prior symptoms [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not. No one ever suggested one. I'd have been happy to. But, most of my doctors over the years "marvel" at our activity level, and think we are immune for CAD from all our exercise. Strong heart muscle, big lungs, and dense mitochondria don't imply clean coronary arteries.

All I've ever had have been a few resting ekgs done for certificate physicals. Always passed.

As for why me? I dunno. Yes, I have a family history. My grafather on my dad's side had the same surgery in 81. But, he was a multi-pack a day smoker, drinker, and meat and potatoes sorta man. My dad has high BP, and high cholesterol... But, no signs of CAD so far at 79. He has already made an appt with his cardio for a discussion. Frankly he wants to be sure to outlive my mom.

Everyones diet can be better right? I eat pretty well. Lean chicken, fish, occasion lean beef. Vegetables, whole grain breads, pastas, and rice. I don't drink much. Maybe 2x Friday /Saturday. I usually abstain during the week. Weve always done olive oil. The only animal fat we use is in the lean chicken/beef. But, I'll be looking for improvements to make. Less animal protein, more legumes and non wheat grains.

I've been active and healthy for most of my life. I played soccer, ran track, did Tae Kwon do for age 5 to 19. I took up cycling in college, running at age 29, and tri at age 32. I was still wearing my high school clothes sizes at age 35. I had one ten year period of injury forced hiatus (35-45). I gained 60 lbs during that period, but lost it all as a 46 year old, when the injury resolved and I returned to triathlon.

Today Im 5' 11", 152 lbs. 6 lbs more that at 19.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 16, 20 22:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just don't get it. Someone like you and your diet and 98% blockage...makes you kind of wonder if eating 'healthy' is even worth the trouble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was a very positive story for me. Thank you!

My dad is 80 years old and was just put in the ICU to have some special sauce added to his IV so that he would be strong enough to have surgery on Tuesday. They also inserted a Swan-Ganz catheter in his neck, guided it through his heart, and anchored it in his lung so they could tell the precise performance of his heart. He will have six cabbages and two or three valve replacements.

I have been a bit scared because this afternoon I saw a neighboring patient die and overheard another family being told that their father would die in the next three or four days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Did you ever do a treadmill stress test prior to this event? I ended up having to do one for life insurance due to a benign heart block - I'm probably going to make myself do one every 5 years even though the cardiologists don't explicitly recommend it, just to avoid hidden CAD events.

There is a reason they are not always recommended as a screening test. It may put your mind at ease but there is a lot of complicated statistic behind diagnostic and screening tests. If you are worried I would suggest talking with your cardiologist to see if other options might be better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes man. You ran 42 min 10km at 51 with a 98% blockage. That's insane!

And here I am thinking that if I see may normal wattage numbers and swim pace times I am immune to the triple bypass that my dad had at 57 (I am 54)
Quote Reply
Re: I'm 51, and just had a 5x coronary artery bypass graft (cabg) surgery with no prior symptoms [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
I just don't get it. Someone like you and your diet and 98% blockage...makes you kind of wonder if eating 'healthy' is even worth the trouble.

Def frustrating, can happen to anyone no matter what. My father's family doctor that he's had for the past 30+ years, told him recently that after practicing medicine for so long, he's determined that when it comes to heart stuff, if its gonna happen, its gonna happen....
I've had bouts of GERD all my life, interesting to read about the subtle differences in symptoms to know what to watch for.

Tom - hope you have a speedy recovery!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm 51, and just had a 5x coronary artery bypass graft (cabg) surgery with no prior symptoms [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best wishes for speedy and robust recovery. Thank you for telling your story with such honesty. Amazing that you ran a 42+ 10K.

Get well!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm 51, and just had a 5x coronary artery bypass graft (cabg) surgery with no prior symptoms [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad this helped,though I don't know how.

I understand that pain from the surgery itself is usually less for older patient due to decreases inflammatory response. That was from my nursing crew, so I can't validate it. But, they all said the same. In my context, though, it was to explain why my pain was possibly so much worse and difficult to control. So... Yeah.

I also had a swan. For me, I was very worried about the pain from removing the swan, the chest tubes, and the Foley (penile catheter). Something seems wrong about a couple meters of tubing inside removed while you are awake. All were painless. I felt nothing from the swan, I felt a sliding from the chest tubes, and the Foley.

Its somewhat emasculating how short the Foley catheter actually is. :=)
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 17, 20 5:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow Tom what a story. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm 51, and just had a 5x coronary artery bypass graft (cabg) surgery with no prior symptoms [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I've had bouts of GERD all my life, interesting to read about the subtle differences in symptoms to know what to watch for.

Tom - hope you have a speedy recovery!

Yes. If nothing else, I think that's the point. Your outlook from this surgery is 100% better if you have a healthy heart with no muscles damage. But, you have to recognize the symptoms of angina before tissue damage occurs.

As dtoce (cardiologist) said in the 100/100 thread :
Quote:

People should get checked if they EVER have activity limited symptoms-especially any chest pain/pressure/tightness—that gets worse with activity and better with rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My second biggest fear (Number 1 is going for a run and forgetting where I live because Alzheimer's runs in my family) is ignoring a minor problem because I have a very high tolerance for pain and ending up dead from something that a hypochondriac would have had fixed immediately.

I'm glad you survived this life event. We don't need another Jim Fixx. :)

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to read about your experience. Your recovery will be much better because of your fitness (also much more annoying for you because you are fit and exercise so much). My father had a quadruple bypass at 50. His doctor at the time said he had likely had a heart attack years before his surgery and was lucky to be alive based on what they found inside him. I started having yearly stress tests and echocardiograms in my mid 30s. I ran in College and still run today (45 years old). Last year had a nuclear stress test. Fortunately, no issues. If my father had not nearly died when he was my age, I never would even give a thought to going to a cardiologist yearly based on my level of fitness. Everyone should go yearly. I'm amazed how many smart people I train with have never given it a thought. Same applies to yearly dermatology exams. It blows my mind how many people do not get a yearly skin exam living in the subtropics where I reside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
best race report i've read in awhile, tom.

this is compelling, considering the recent history of your recent posts in the 100/100 thread. how this was not a fruitful period this year because of how you were feeling. now of course we know. and this, after my "get up, brush yourself off" post. and you continued to post in the 100/100 thread as you went thru this, which is pretty impressive i must say!

it's going to be interesting to me to see how you react to this as you recover. have you had your first inklings yet about when recovery means resumption of your pre-surgery lifestyle? asked your doctor about that? or is your brain just in the i'm-glad-to-be-alive mode?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: I'm 51, and just had a 5x coronary artery bypass graft (cabg) surgery with no prior symptoms [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

this is compelling, considering the recent history of your recent posts in the 100/100 thread. how this was not a fruitful period this year because of how you were feeling. now of course we know. and this, after my "get up, brush yourself off" post. and you continued to post in the 100/100 thread as you went thru this, which is pretty impressive i must say!

it's going to be interesting to me to see how you react to this as you recover. have you had your first inklings yet about when recovery means resumption of your pre-surgery lifestyle? asked your doctor about that? or is your brain just in the i'm-glad-to-be-alive mode?

My 2 cents to Tom....we should never ever ever just be happy to be alive. We're supposed to be alive....its what we do with being alive, so after he gets over this hump, its about maximizing whatever he wants to get out of this life....sitting in the lazyboy watching Tom Brady try for another run does not cut it for those on here.

I bet Tom's gonna be wanting more than "just being alive"....(my coach pep talk for today)
Quote Reply
Re: I'm 51, and just had a 5x coronary artery bypass graft (cabg) surgery with no prior symptoms [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Slowman wrote:

My 2 cents to Tom....we should never ever ever just be happy to be alive. We're supposed to be alive....its what we do with being alive, so after he gets over this hump, its about maximizing whatever he wants to get out of this life....sitting in the lazyboy watching Tom Brady try for another run does not cut it for those on here.

I bet Tom's gonna be wanting more than "just being alive"....(my coach pep talk for today)

i'm with you, bro, but i think there's an understandable interval between the time that one has his insides handled by a bunch of strangers and the time one starts to think about his next footrace. you take a guy like tom here, i don't think there's anyone who'd likely have a shorter interval than him. but having not (yet?!) gone thru his recent ordeal, i'd like to know how someone of his ilk mentally approaches, adjusts, heals.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get an idea of your personal risk with a coronary artery calcium scoring CT scan. These cost only about $100, they have their limitations, but if you score very low you probably don't have much to worry about. Higher scores, well you'll need more of a workup.

Personal note, my score was in the mild risk range (I had expected near zero) and this prompted my decision to change my diet now primarily plant based.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So happy you are on the road to mending that busted heart! I have to admit to tearing up reading your report; I just lost one of my best friends 2 weeks ago. He was a healthy (though non-endurance athlete) 49 yr old guy with a wife and 6yr old son. Dropped dead by a widowmaker. He didn't have any of the classics signs either and his wife is a nurse! One of the biggest shocks of my life and a life long friend I'll miss forever.

Heal well. Just think how powerful that heart will be when you're back at it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a very similar experience. I struggled for 6 weeks walking short distances and going further each day. I was on the bike at the end of 8 weeks. 12 weeks I was getting back to about 80 percent. 5 months I did a bike race. Now at almost 11 months I am racing hard on zwift and feel 95 percent. I am 65 5'9 160 pounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery.
Quote Reply

Prev Next