Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I’m surprised I don’t miss major sports that much....
Quote | Reply
I’ve noticed this....

Before: Final Four, Stanley Cup, Masters, NBA Finals, UEFA Championship, The Kentucky Derby, Tennis Majors, Tour....all those things would be a more or less continuous focus for me. I just don’t think that much about them now.

I wonder how much the sport world will be impacted. As I think about the prospect of my fall IM I wonder, if it’s held (which I don’t think so), would I even do it given the pre vaccine risk of CoVid (I’m 62)?

Given that, I don’t see myself heading out to the ballpark with 40,000 other potentially infected people, who can be infectious before they know it.

I worry about the sport impact. All sports. For us in the tri world, this is, I fear, going to be a period where people just won’t race as much (outside against other people).

Fills me with sadness, but I think the risk is major and real...

Post vaccine is hard to predict....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: I’m surprised I don’t miss major sports that much.... [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My hometown team, the Dayton Flyers, were poised to go far in March. I'm bummed I didn't get to see that play out.
Quote Reply
Re: I’m surprised I don’t miss major sports that much.... [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I surely do. I don't see myself traveling to watch a Premiership match anytime soon, but la Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Cycling, Rugby, American footie, etc. I miss them all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev is going to be triggered by this and write a multi paragraph reply.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: I’m surprised I don’t miss major sports that much.... [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Dev is going to be triggered by this and write a multi paragraph reply.

I don't see the point of the cheap shot for no reason as I had not participated in Randy's thread.

Randy, I do miss pro sports. Its a diversion from the business world and I enjoy all the team strategies and also the marketing around it all.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 3, 20 5:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really missing my Baseball. (Toronto Blue Jays)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cut the cord on cable TV about 5 years ago. That's when I realized I didn't miss it that much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really miss playoff hockey, but that's about it. I think this is disastrous for MLB which was already struggling with TV ratings and attendance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that much either. I'm a fair weather/occasional fan. If my home team is in the playoffs or if some historic sporting event (Tiger comeback); then maybe I'll watch. Same with triathlon. Really don't care what the pros are doing all year until Kona and that's when I'll pick a favorite and watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m missing NASCAR and UFC. I tape them both to watch while I’m on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did miss March Madness, but after the initial shock I didn't really think about it that much. I am worried about College Football though. It is one of those things that my entire family enjoys together and the idea of missing it is pretty scary to us. My poor daughter missed out on the rest of her senior year of High School and the thought of not having her first season of College Football as a student...let's just say we are not allowed to even mention the possibility.

We are thinking positive thoughts that things will be getting better by then. Until then I have been on a steady diet of Trail Running Documentaries.
Last edited by: ale_ers: Apr 3, 20 7:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last night as I watched an old college football replay from 2006 (Go Buckeyes!), I realized I miss watching sports more than I thought I would.
Quote Reply
Re: I’m surprised I don’t miss major sports that much.... [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having grown up in Detroit with Ernie Harwell “Tiger Baseball is on the air!”. Not to mention Al Kaline, Jim Northrop, Mickey Stanley, Willie Horton, Gates Brown, Don Wert, Alan Tramell, Lou Whitaker, Stormin Norman Cash, Bill Freehan, Denny McClain, Mickey Lolich...and the the Bird and on into the great teams of a few years ago....if the Tigers had a comeback season I’d be right back in....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: I’m surprised I don’t miss major sports that much.... [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
I really miss playoff hockey, but that's about it. I think this is disastrous for MLB which was already struggling with TV ratings and attendance.

Yeah, same here.

Always hated baseball, anyway. Basketball...meh. And, pro football players/owners are the root of all evil---I refuse to contribute to that economy.

I used to watch NASCAR, but I stopped watching it when Jeff Gordon retired and realized I didn't miss it---the naps were some of the best ever, though!

But, I will miss the summer olympics. Especially Gymnastics.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Apr 3, 20 7:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really miss sports, and spend time on both ESPN and the NFL Network watching classic games. I also live in a college town and will really miss football this fall if it doesn't happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really miss the distraction especially in these stressful times.
Going forward i fear you are correct. I cant see myself sitting at an NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA game in the next few years (I never liked crowds to begin with and now i would be scared the guy sitting next to me might infect me). This will likely change consumer behavior for a long time.

rcmioga wrote:
I’ve noticed this....

Before: Final Four, Stanley Cup, Masters, NBA Finals, UEFA Championship, The Kentucky Derby, Tennis Majors, Tour....all those things would be a more or less continuous focus for me. I just don’t think that much about them now.

I wonder how much the sport world will be impacted. As I think about the prospect of my fall IM I wonder, if it’s held (which I don’t think so), would I even do it given the pre vaccine risk of CoVid (I’m 62)?

Given that, I don’t see myself heading out to the ballpark with 40,000 other potentially infected people, who can be infectious before they know it.

I worry about the sport impact. All sports. For us in the tri world, this is, I fear, going to be a period where people just won’t race as much (outside against other people).

Fills me with sadness, but I think the risk is major and real...

Post vaccine is hard to predict....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speak for yourself. I'm betting on the weather every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year at this time, I crossed the finish line at Lavaman (which was a great race and vacation) and got back to my hotel room in time to watch Michigan State beat Duke to get to the Final Four. No NCAA Tournament this year is rough. Thought of possibly no college football though is just too much to take. Also keeping fingers crossed that the Tour De France happens and is on TV. I don't watch baseball, NFL football, or NBA basketball, but if they were suddenly on I would be thrilled to watch. When major sports come back, the ratings will be through the roof I bet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not necessarily missing sports in general, but definitely missing select events. For example I'm definitely missing the cycling Classics and will miss the Masters. For the most part I only watched parts of the finals for the major sporting events.

More than anything though I feel for all the people that are impacted financially by the lack of sports. Not so much the sport stars, but all the other people that were employed because of those events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and I will miss the Giro, French Open, Wimbledon, Tour de France and Euro on top of Champion's League finals and Euro and Stanley Cup finals...and then the Olympics. With no racing of my own and none of that, definitely a drag (for me). Pretty sure a US Open with international visitors in Flushing Meadows is not going to happen with the state of NYC too! Hopefully a shortened MLB season and world series and then NFL season. The economy will need these as catalysts.

I
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a pretty avid college basketball fan, so having the conference tournaments cancelled in some cases literally with players on the court sucked. It's trivial, of course, but the thought of "if this were a normal year I'd be putting an out of office meeting on my calendar with a wink and tucking into a sweet sixteen game" is one of those very strange moments that grounds all of this in some strange way.

I do miss watching random nba games at night after my wife falls asleep. The weird thing to miss is less the games being on, and more just the mindless stuff to consume about them in free moments. I can't scroll instagram highlights on the can if there are no games.

Also, the nba probably does not get enough credit, in the US anyway, for taking the lead on shutting things down. I don't think anyone realized how seriously we had to take this until they did so.
Quote Reply
Re: I’m surprised I don’t miss major sports that much.... [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miss the Jays as well (and they were in Boston during the Marathon)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll miss the grand tours on the internet, and the Tour on TV. But I am mostly bummed that there are no races anytime soon to ride my new P3 in.

I don't miss the major sports cause I never watched them anyway. I'll miss the meager amount of Olympics coverage that cycling got. But the Olympics coverage mostly sponsor commercials so I won't miss that.
Quote Reply
Re: I’m surprised I don’t miss major sports that much.... [mtschnur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll miss the tour big time

Last year I watched just about every minute that was available

That and UFC I’ll miss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I miss baseball. I miss the 7th annual spring training trip with friends that was supposed to happen, the routine of sitting down and watching the game in the evening, the hope that maybe, just maybe, my team (Royals) won't find a new and embarrassing way to lose the game that day. All meaningless given the bigger picture but next to cycling and skiing, baseball is my favorite pastime. At least my Chiefs won the super bowl before this all went down. What a party and hangover the next day that was.
Quote Reply

Prev Next