Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I’m getting slower at triathlon
Quote | Reply
I’m in 5th year of triathlon and I seem to be getting slower and can’t work out why. In my first 2.5 years I made some real big rapid improvements. In the last 2.5 years my paces have steadily slipped, particularly on the bike and run.

I’m 35 and I train ultra consistently and don’t get injured often although did have a short spell out with a broken arm. I’ve tried the long distance volume training, short intensive etc. I had a coach for 18 months and it was during this time I began to slip. At a rough guess I’d say my yearly training hours are around the 500 mark, sometimes more.

My motivation and love for the sport is still sky high but I just can’t work it out. I still race just as hard as ever but can’t get near the paces.

I used to consistently run 19 mins off the bike, pb is 18:30 and now I can’t crack 20 minutes.

Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: I’m getting slower at triathlon [Onion bhaji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a coach (far from it), but maybe a bit burnt out? Or too high volume? When is the last time you took 2 or 3 weeks off from real training?
Quote Reply
Re: I’m getting slower at triathlon [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Potentially but when I take a break I come back even slower and my motivation isn’t as peaked.

I generally take a bit of down time after a big race. In saying that I just raced world champs at the weekend and maybe that’s what has prompted this post. Trained the house down but didn’t get a pb.
Quote Reply
Re: I’m getting slower at triathlon [Onion bhaji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weight the same?
Been tested for Iron / Vitamin D deficiencies?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply