Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I’m fat and I’d like some help (running, puppies, life)
Quote | Reply
(Backstory to serve as some excuse making and very modest humble bragging): at the end of 2015 I competed at Ironman 70.3WC in Zell Am See - an absolutely gorgeous and amazing venue - and “retired” from the sport. I had been competing as a “high performance” athlete for the past 12 years. I define(d) "high performance" as a year round athlete, someone who considers training as part of life, and life is built around training - job, social life, friends, relationships, etc. 4 years of rowing D1 in college (following 4 years of HS rowing + basketball), 3 years of post-college rowing trying to get traction in the national team selection process, and 5 years going full tilt in triathlon. By 2015 I was mentally exhausted. 70.3WC would be swan song and I hoped it would go out in a really positive direction. It didn’t.

2016, in my late 20s, moving in with my lovely beautiful (now) wife, I really struggled to find my identity independent of Sport. I threw myself into work, and with more disposable income came more dinner dates, more nice beers, way more nice whiskeys, lots of NY Rangers games, etc. I gained 35 pounds, going from an average race weight of 185 (having gotten down to 177 for IMFL in 2012) to a peak of 220. I started lifting weights and going to CrossFit type classes, because I missed comraderie and lifting and being strong. Maybe 5-10 of those pounds I added were muscle, but most were fat.

2017 and 2018 brought me back to biking, but absent of the drive and hunger to only do something to win. I tried mountain bike racing (XC, circuit, and the weakest attempt at endurance - 50k), and CX, which I enjoyed a lot. I got into Zwift because it’s time effective and I need that. And with being less concerned with my race day performance, it’s a bit harder to get out for 5am wake ups or 30 degree rides, so I can at least not bail on all of those workouts and ride Zwift. Over the past two years I’ve floated between 202-212 - an improvement, but nowhere that I’m happy with. It effects my confidence in all aspects of my life, my mood, of course my health, and probably a lot more that I don’t feel comfortable sharing. For the past 2 years I hit right around 300 hours on the bike.

2019 brought us a brand new puppy that has a TON of energy. And I’m 31, going to turn 32, and I need to make a change.

I always knew that running was the most effectiveness sport for losing weight, but it is the sport I’ve enjoyed the least in my life. Occasionally it would feel nice to nail a long run, or go run when I was pure pissed off, but generally, day in/day out, I wasn’t excited by it.

For 2019 I want to start running so that I can run with the new puppy (when he is appropriately trained), to keep him healthy, to keep the house standing, and to keep me healthy. I don’t need to be a super hero - I am thinking if I’m doing 5-6 runs of ~4 miles, consistently, that will be a huge step in the right direction. If I can do that consistently and maintain a similar bike training schedule, that will be a huge win for me for 2019.

So, some questions:

1. How TF do I train this puppy to run with me? (He’s 12 weeks, a rescue, a mix of Pit and ?, great temperament but a total chewer, and seemingly never ending energy)
2. I ran most of my triathlon life in Saucony kinvara #. What’s popular these days? What does a fatty need to worry about? What shoes are appropriate for me?
3. Has anyone ever had the switch go off with running and suddenly enjoy it?
4. Any other open suggestions or feedback?

(I suppose the backstory was more an opportunity to vent and get it all out there than anything else).

----
@adamwfurlong
Last edited by: afurlong: Jan 3, 19 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: I’m fat and I’d like some help (running, puppies, life) [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run with 2 dogs every day. In fact they push me more than I would ever push myself. Just leash him up an go. It will be crazy at first. But it will start working itself out. I've never done anything other than encourage positive behavior, and discourage negative behavior. The more you do it, the better he will become. Go every day, and in a few weeks, you will have a running partner for many years to come. BTW, I will add that with a dog, it's a 7 day thing. Every day is the same to a dog. Weather does't matter to a dog either, unless it's really extreme. Keep his nails trimmed, and keep an eye on his pads at first, to make sure they are tough enough. Don't forget water if it's hot out. If there is any trouble with strays in your neighborhood, bring some pepper spray.

My favorite shoes these days are Hokas. Hoka Bondi 6 to be exact. Not cheap, but I'm also getting 1000 miles out of a pair, so very cost effective.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Jan 3, 19 17:27
Quote Reply
Re: I’m fat and I’d like some help (running, puppies, life) [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:

Yes. Very much so. But it can switch again and you can still have bad days after the ah-hah!! The more running, the easier to fall in love with it. Running is more like the cat of sports -- where biking is like a dog. Ready for love at any time after any length of time, just pretty much always fun for me. Running you gotta court, build up to, buy a lot of flowers............

Anyway. Welcome back to sport. Run slow, easy, and consistently, and just see what happens. I have no idea on the dog part, I'm not a dog owner :)

Best,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The more you run, the more you'll like it. That's my experience, anyway. Consistency is key.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start off with walking so you don't get hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loosing weight is so much more about diet than anything else. Being heavy and running will make it much harder. First thing I would do is learn about food and find a strategy that works for you.

Here is a simple explanation and a calculator to get you headed in the right direction. https://www.bodybuilding.com/...loc_en-US_ver_30.1.0

One nice thing about zwift and biking in general is that calories are simple to calculate (Watts x time in hours x 3.7 I believe)

As far running with your dog, I'd recommend a shock collar. We had to get one with our dog and she learned in about 3 shocks to listen. If you're worried about the guilt, you can test it on yourself and see how much you'd shock your dog;
Quote Reply
Re: I’m fat and I’d like some help (running, puppies, life) [AboveGround] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m aware of dietary needs, and calorie tracking, and macro calories, and calculating calories, and even the formula between kJ and calories. I didn’t really reference food consumption because I already have a pretty solid understanding of my needs in that area. I probably have should provided a caveat to clarify that.

Did you use a shock collar to teach your dog to run with you?

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you've got the food sorted. We've had two dogs and the first one did not require a shock collar. It took a bit, but she eventually learned to run. I will say she always did pull a bit. Our second dog pulled like crazy. I was not willing to deal with that, especially since I've had some injuries and the last thing I need is a dog yanking at my side every step. A friend brought over a shock collar and despite my hesitation, after a few short minutes she was awesome. We actually run with her off leash now because she's so good. She still get's a quick shock about once a mile, but the family and dog are much happier now.

I guess the answer to your question is yes, we used the shock collar to teach her to run with us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey man
I remember reading a lot about you a couple years back and was quite impressed about your performances.
Anyhow your pup is too young to introduced running. I also just got a German shepherd and a year old shes still not allowed to come with me to go for a run. Most suggested to introduce running at the age of 2yrs old
Heres an article
https://www.puppyleaks.com/jogging-can-be-harmful-to-puppies/

great to see you here again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let the dog finish growing before you run it hard.

https://www.google.com/...ning-with-a-dog/amp/

I have two Vizsla’s that are my running mates, we love every minute of it! Enjoy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had great experience running with a dog using a "gentle leader". Ymmv.
Quote Reply
Re: I’m fat and I’d like some help (running, puppies, life) [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Search for BarryP 321 running to get used to running regularly and building up the miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:

1. How TF do I train this puppy to run with me? (He’s 12 weeks, a rescue, a mix of Pit and ?, great temperament but a total chewer, and seemingly never ending energy)

check with your vet on how long/far you can run that young. I adopted a 7 month old rotty and waited a bit before running with her. She now does the ST100/100
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother and I both run with his dog, from the time she was a puppy.

We got an iron doggy, which gives her enough room to move as she wants

https://irondoggy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing to add other than to confirm that yes, you are fat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You train a dog by starting with teaching him to walk beside you and obey commands. Then do a little jogging/walking alternating and then slowly jog. You have to build up the fitness in a dog too and best if it's not on the road.

Start with training your dog and then easing into running with him. You will start enjoying it because you have a purpose with your dog and that might lead to more running on your own. I enjoyed running best when I wasn't preparing for a race.

4. Any other open suggestions or feedback?

Your weight gain isn't from lack of exercise, it's from poor eating habits. You should be able to maintain a healthy weight without exercise, just by eating well and lightly. If you use exercise to lose weight, you're eating too much.
Quote Reply
Re: I’m fat and I’d like some help (running, puppies, life) [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The weight, given your hours, is probably mostly diet then. Perhaps, just maybe, it might be the intensity of those hours also. I doubt it given your pretty solid/elite background.

There's a reason the group ride buddies who ride 2x as many miles per week as me still weigh about 30 lbs heavier. They eat more, and they constantly ride in groups at so-so paces. I bust it.

The dog, gotta start early. I'm talking leash training, walk training, get them on greenways/run paths, as early as you can and very often.

One thing you said I just want to caution you about. If you do enjoy this stuff, don't give up part of yourself because you feel you have to. Marriage is teamwork, but it isn't about everyone giving up fundamental parts of who they are.

It always pains me to hear people say "oh, I was great at XXX sport years ago. Enjoyed it a ton. I haven't done it since I got married." That's not a relationship.
Quote Reply
Re: I’m fat and I’d like some help (running, puppies, life) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
The weight, given your hours, is probably mostly diet then. Perhaps, just maybe, it might be the intensity of those hours also. I doubt it given your pretty solid/elite background.

There's a reason the group ride buddies who ride 2x as many miles per week as me still weigh about 30 lbs heavier. They eat more, and they constantly ride in groups at so-so paces. I bust it.

The dog, gotta start early. I'm talking leash training, walk training, get them on greenways/run paths, as early as you can and very often.

One thing you said I just want to caution you about. If you do enjoy this stuff, don't give up part of yourself because you feel you have to. Marriage is teamwork, but it isn't about everyone giving up fundamental parts of who they are.

It always pains me to hear people say "oh, I was great at XXX sport years ago. Enjoyed it a ton. I haven't done it since I got married." That's not a relationship.

This. The OP claims to have a solid understanding of his dietary needs, yet is overweight. Those are opposing statements, unless he understands but has failed to execute. Either way, it’s probably mainly diet if he’s riding six hours a week at with some intensity worked in. Personally, I don’t think running is the answer. By all means, run with the pup...but I’d be shocked if it results in a 20+ pound weight loss without some other lifestyle changes. Best of luck to him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing I would caution you about the dog, and maybe it is just my dog, but I have a pit/boxer mix and she doesn't do good after 2.5 to 3 miles. She can run flat out for short distances like no ones buisness but she doesbn't like running longer. I take on short runs on trails but I keep her home for the longer stuff. Just my two cents. Enjoy it, its always more fun when she is staring at me wondering when I'll catch up!
Quote Reply
Re: I’m fat and I’d like some help (running, puppies, life) [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad someone can come in here and tell me like it is!

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree with everyone here. Let your dog ease into running as it grows. I’m guessing as long as you don’t make it a chore for the dog you will have a running buddy for years.

Sacouny Kinvara - Stick with it until it doesn’t feel right. I’ve seen some big guys running in that shoe so I wouldn’t worry to much about it unless it doesn’t feel good.

There is nothing better and I’ve found running is the only sport that can do this. When you are really mad, go out and bust out some heavy pace running. It will clear you mind because when you can’t breath you can’t think. I always found 20 minutes at tempo or faster did the trick. It’s one of the best ways to learn to like runnin again too.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: I’m fat and I’d like some help (running, puppies, life) [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:

This. The OP claims to have a solid understanding of his dietary needs, yet is overweight. Those are opposing statements, unless he understands but has failed to execute. Either way, it’s probably mainly diet if he’s riding six hours a week at with some intensity worked in. Personally, I don’t think running is the answer. By all means, run with the pup...but I’d be shocked if it results in a 20+ pound weight loss without some other lifestyle changes. Best of luck to him.

Trust me, there are plenty of us who understand dietary needs and nutrition yet are 10+kgs overweight. Sometimes eating less/better is just hard.
Quote Reply
Re: I’m fat and I’d like some help (running, puppies, life) [burnthesheep & Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take full ownership of my diet. It's what got me to where I am now, and without question understand it's a central component to losing weight. I didn't really address it because I don't have any questions about what I need to do.

I want to get back into running to A. accelerate the process of losing weight (in conjunction with cleaning up the diet), B. exercise my puppy, and C. as a by-product of A, feel good about myself again.

We are currently leash-training him now, and as soon as he's done with his last round of vaccines will be getting him in puppy school. It's my plan/hope that he can get to the point where he can run along side me off the leash, or at least on the leash but me never feeling it.

And burnthesheep - to be crystal clear on this, getting married had zero to do with me retiring from triathlon. I didn't enjoy triathlon, or the grind of being An Athlete, at the time I met her.

My goal with all of this is to turn this into a positive reinforcement cycle - running to keep the dog in shape will get me in better shape, which will make me feel better about myself, which will make me keep doing it, which will make me enjoy it more, which eventually may lead me back into triathlon.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: I’m fat and I’d like some help (running, puppies, life) [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
afrizzledfry wrote:

Trust me, there are plenty of us who understand dietary needs and nutrition yet are 10+kgs overweight. Sometimes eating less/better is just hard.

I believe you ;)

It is hard. But it’s achievable!
Quote Reply
Re: I’m fat and I’d like some help (running, puppies, life) [dboatx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the kind words and the links - it does seem that the majority of feedback skews toward letting him grow into his body + focusing on training right now

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply

Prev Next