Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I’ m fat , so time to buy new scales.
Quote | Reply
Looking for some input on some decent scales to buy under $100 , nothing too fancy is required .
Done with cheap scales and would step up in price if necessary.
Last edited by: sward: Feb 8, 19 13:32
Quote Reply
Re: Fat so time to buy new scales [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the withings body cardio wifi smart scale ($70 at newegg ). It syncs with garmin, strava, myfitnesspal, golden cheetah, etc. I have had a similar model for 2 or 3 years. Tells me everyday whether I have gained or lost weight as well as the weather.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat so time to buy new scales [microspawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
microspawn wrote:
I like the withings body cardio wifi smart scale ($70 at newegg ). It syncs with garmin, strava, myfitnesspal, golden cheetah, etc. I have had a similar model for 2 or 3 years. Tells me everyday whether I have gained or lost weight as well as the weather.

I have the scale that's one up from this one and I can attest to it being great (I've had one for 3 years). It also can differentiate between users, so there's no manual fiddling with different people who want to setup a profile on the scale.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat so time to buy new scales [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read that when Nokia bought Withings 12-18 months ago they played with the app that works with the Withings scales and totally screwed it up. This has put me off buying a Withings scale.

Is this correct?? How crucial is the app to using the scale and seeing the trends etc???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got this one, and am very happy with it so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also like my new Withings wifi scale. I think mine is the Body+

Answering the other comment, the removal of the cardio feature happened before I got my scale, and I'm still very happy with it. (I don't even think mine would have had that feature.) I think the feature removal was because there was an FDA problem with the scale not being approved as a medical device, and therefore it was not supposed to give certain info/analysis. Something along those lines.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Fat so time to buy new scales [CG99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is correct, but it's also true that they screwed so bad that they sold back to the founder and it's great again.
Quote Reply
Re: I’ m fat , so time to buy new scales. [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you use a Garmin watch, get a Garmin scale. If you use a Fitbit, get a fitbit scale. Regardless, I highly recommend a digital scale-- they are worth it. They will automatically record and chart your weight, which is a huge aid in weight loss. Plus, the Fitbit platform does a great job with the calorie counting alongside burn, so you can take on the whole equation. Garmin does not do well on the calorie intake side but does way better on the calorie burn side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CG99 wrote:
I read that when Nokia bought Withings 12-18 months ago they played with the app that works with the Withings scales and totally screwed it up. This has put me off buying a Withings scale.

Is this correct?? How crucial is the app to using the scale and seeing the trends etc???

I've never used their app for anything, I don't even have it. I set it up to sync with TrainingPeaks, which is where I view the data. In fact, I've only logged into the online console a couple of times to modify things from time to time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading this, I went with Tanita. So far I’m happy with it. Not too expensive either.

https://forum.trainerroad.com/...d-reference-pics/100
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of my data collection is via Garmin, so I've bought Garmin scales. They're fantastic and they automatically log all of you information from the scales to Garmin connect so you can review it later, map trends etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t mean to pry but what’s wrong with a cheap scale? Or what features are you looking for in a mode expensive scale? Even a huge ass used analog scale from goodwill will still give you on or around the same weight as the most expensive scale on the planet.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: I’ m fat , so time to buy new scales. [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Don’t mean to pry but what’s wrong with a cheap scale? Or what features are you looking for in a mode expensive scale? Even a huge ass used analog scale from goodwill will still give you on or around the same weight as the most expensive scale on the planet.

This^^^^

The digital scales I've used just had too many issues (settings, batteries, lag, repeatability, etc.). Finally just got a high-quality mechanical scale (Borg) for <$40. Instant read, easy to recalibrate.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: I’ m fat , so time to buy new scales. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

This^^^^

The digital scales I've used just had too many issues (settings, batteries, lag, repeatability, etc.). Finally just got a high-quality mechanical scale (Borg) for <$40. Instant read, easy to recalibrate.
I work in IT. Please stop buying our crap. None of it works right, and it is too expensive, and the cloud connectivity is eroding your privacy. We make money selling your data at every step, or have you not noticed?

You don't need wifi or Bluetooth or an app to measure you fricken weight. Buy a $20 scale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CG99 wrote:

Withings bought back that part of their business from Nokia. I've since gotten a Withings-branded Body+ and the app works flawlessly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you got the Garmin Index Scale, I recently added support for it to my subscription app Smart Scale Sync. It's popular amongst TrainerRoad users, and let's you connecting Garmin/Withings/Fitbit/Fitbit-compatible (ex: renpho) scales to Strava, TrainerRoad, Peloton, Concept2, Fitbit, Garmin Connect, and Polar Flow.

https://forum.trainerroad.com/...eight-to-garmin/8754

Also, it's kind of a roundabout solution, but if you have a Garmin Index scale you can use it to get weight into Zwift by going Garmin -> Fitbit -> Zwift.
Last edited by: renschlerlabs: Aug 18, 19 11:27
Quote Reply
Re: I’ m fat , so time to buy new scales. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
I work in IT. Please stop buying our crap. None of it works right, and it is too expensive, and the cloud connectivity is eroding your privacy. We make money selling your data at every step, or have you not noticed?

You don't need wifi or Bluetooth or an app to measure you fricken weight. Buy a $20 scale.

Apparently you're no longer using Alice for requirements gathering.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn on top of the obvious mess that are unnecessarly connected object that opening sentence makes absolutely no sense. If you're fat you should eat less calories and maybe exercise more if you can do it. That's it, no money or gizmo in the world will change it.
Quote Reply