Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona
Quote | Reply
And races MPro. Just curious how those who really know swimming think this plays out?

1) Swims easily off the front and sets a swim record?

2) Sets a swim course record but a few top tier tri swimmers manage to hold onto his feet and finish very close.

3) Swims with lead group but doesn't even set a course record, due to not being as experienced in open water?
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona [lschaan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did this swimmer qualify as a pro?
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona [lschaan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lschaan wrote:
And races MPro. Just curious how those who really know swimming think this plays out?

1) Swims easily off the front and sets a swim record?

2) Sets a swim course record but a few top tier tri swimmers manage to hold onto his feet and finish very close.

3) Swims with lead group but doesn't even set a course record, due to not being as experienced in open water?

4) they save themselves knowing that it's a long day out there and they don't care about the swim record.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to reverse the question and ask what happens if you drop a couple of Triathlon pros into an open water swim 5k with Wellbrock and Paltrinieri and a couple of their friends
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Olympic single sport athletes and/or national team members in associated swimming/biking/running federation simply have to finish 1 race with 200 people in it in the top 10% to qualify as an "elite" triathlete.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heard about Lucy Charles ?

Competing for qualification in Olympic British Team for the Open Water event in 2012. Not qualified, as only one spot available. She was second, and young.

Now, in Kona, she catch up the boys (most of them), bike alone, and...maybe at some point will run alone also.
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Abergili wrote:
I think you need to reverse the question and ask what happens if you drop a couple of Triathlon pros into an open water swim 5k with Wellbrock and Paltrinieri and a couple of their friends

Josh Amberger just did an open water swim in AUS, the NOOSA 1000 or something like that, he finished 11th overall (10th male). Luke Mckenzie did it too, he finished 48th.
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.multisportaustralia.com.au/races/15661/events/1/

Amberger was 1:20 back from the winner in a 1km swim.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That pretty much answers the question. He wasn't even close to the winner. The original poster I don't think he realizes that the top 1500M pool swimmers are also the top open water swimmers and they have more open water experience than the average pro triathlon guys. Especially the race tactics and swimming in packs stuff. They have their own little groups just like cycling teams.

Interesting finisher on the NOOSA results was Lani Pallister likely womens Tokyo qualifier for Australia in the 1500M she wasnt close to winner either and does a sub 16 1500M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._Kona%3F_P1125989-2/

Also, see

https://en.wikipedia.org/...ussama_Mellouli#2012

Quote:
Mellouli won 2 medals (1 gold in the 10km marathon[3] and 1 bronze in the 1500m freestyle) at the 2012 Summer Olympics held in London, UK. He became the first person to win medals in both pool and open-water swimming in the same Olympics.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Abergili wrote:
That pretty much answers the question. He wasn't even close to the winner. The original poster I don't think he realizes that the top 1500M pool swimmers are also the top open water swimmers and they have more open water experience than the average pro triathlon guys. Especially the race tactics and swimming in packs stuff. They have their own little groups just like cycling teams.

Interesting finisher on the NOOSA results was Lani Pallister likely womens Tokyo qualifier for Australia in the 1500M she wasnt close to winner either and does a sub 16 1500M

the way you wrote that made it sound like she shit the bed, so I had to have a double check. She was 8th, ahead of Amberger by 15s.

She's got a really good shot at Tokyo, but realistically the women's 200-1500 fields are all competing for one spot, so it'll be tight. Can't imagine that Ariarne isn't going to qualify in everything that she puts her mind to.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lukasz Wojt is the closest you'll come at this point I think. He competed in the Beijing Olympics (in swimming) but wasn't at the pointy end. While gapping Jan Frodeno in the swim during a 70.3 earlier this year by some 40 odd seconds seconds, he only took third overall. Same story in Klagenfurt ( fresh water non wetsuit swim) where he put 90 sec into Daniel Bækkegård (who was front pack in Kona) in the swim but was 4th overall.

I guess he could out swim most of the guys in Kona but would probably go backwards through the field on his way to Hawi
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably (1) or (4).... or (1) and (4), depending on whatever they want to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There you go. So the answer is #1!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, you are really testing my old memory. Your question is NOT a hypothetical . . . it really happened! I believe it was after the Olympics in 1984 that Djan Madruga from Brazil did Hawaii and was first out of the water. I believe he was 2 1/2 minutes ahead of Dave Scott who was 3rd or 4th out of the water. Someone else please chime in with more information.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys have some pretty short memories. Remember the guy that held the record before, on the 220 meter longer course?? Lars Jorgensen, he was a pretty good distance swimmer in his day, you could say top tier distance guy. And yes, he broke and held that record(still actually does) but he didnt drop the best triathlete swimmer of the day there, Wolfgang Diettrich. It appeared that Wolfie's 48 low's all by himself, was good enough for a 46 high on someones feet. I would imagine several top triathlete swimmers over the years would have held that pace too, Mackel, Potts in his prime, Dan Madruga, and Paul Donahue...

Remember guys that pull on the front now, would be getting a draft, so big difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lschaan wrote:

You know that open water swimming is an olympic medal right?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titmus won't do the 1500 it conflicts with the 200. Pallister has youth on her side but yes she will be in tight races for the spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona [AS88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tiago Pereira is probably the most accomplished swimmer to compete in a Triathlon recently.

He raced 70.3 FlorianĂłpolis last year and, to my surprise, swam like a 27' with a wetsuit. My buddy who is a 55' Kona swimmer swam a 24' that same day
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona [vittorio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vittorio wrote:
Tiago Pereira is probably the most accomplished swimmer to compete in a Triathlon recently.

He raced 70.3 FlorianĂłpolis last year and, to my surprise, swam like a 27' with a wetsuit. My buddy who is a 55' Kona swimmer swam a 24' that same day

Travid Nederpelt, is an Australian Olympic finalist at Athens and Beijing 400IM, also raced 1500m. He did a 70.3 a few years ago and was only 10th fastest overall, beaten by a load of pros.
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An athlete I coached and was a good friend and is now a mom, was an olympic gold medalist (swimming) and lives in New Orleans... she does some tris now.
But are you asking how competitive they would be in their swim prime? vs this situation where Ashley took a decade and a half off to start a family and a life after sydney?
I havent scoured her results for splits, but I think she can hold her own in most tris... up to 70.3 But her goal is race the tri well, not the swim.

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Keep an eye out for the girl that came 8th, in a year or two. Daughter of an Olympic swimmer (mum) and national lifesaving champ (dad)
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let’s not forget that Andy Potts was 4th in the 400IM at the1996 USA Olympic Trials. He would have qualified and swam in at least the B finals for any other country, as the Americans went 1-2 in that event.
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, what happens if top tier Olympic swimmer shows up in Kona [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Let’s not forget that Andy Potts was 4th in the 400IM at the1996 USA Olympic Trials. He would have qualified and swam in at least the B finals for any other country, as the Americans went 1-2 in that event.

B finals????

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

This is the guy who finished two spots ahead of Josh in that swim.He missed out on Olympic 1500m selection because the other guys in his squad (including Hackett) were a little too speedy but turned the tables on Hackett and beat him out of an Oly spot in the open water. Olympian and all around Surf Lifesaving legend.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ent_Ironman_624.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next