Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hypothetically, if I were to become an agent for pro triathletes, what value propositions for sponsors should I focus on? [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your points, but I think there should be a different mentality for WTS races. If you want to have that reimbursement policy for a World Cup race or something, I totally understand that since the athlete isn't totally proven. But by qualifying for a WTS race, you've already proved yourself in a certain number of races and are representing USAT at the highest ITU level. For a multi-million dollar organization that has this line in their mission statement "USA Triathlon provides leadership and support to elite athletes competing at international events, including International Triathlon Union (ITU) World Championships, Pan American Games and the Olympic and Paralympic Games," I think putting full support behind its WTS selections is important. If there are athletes that USAT are selecting for WTS races that have no business being there, well that's a separate discussion.

The Gram: @agyenis
My latest story on Swimswam: More than a title
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, if I were to become an agent for pro triathletes, what value propositions for sponsors should I focus on? [agyenis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some great discussion so far,

The only thing I will add is learn everything you can about tax law and find an accountant who has experience in this area.

A lot of pros work part time (some as doctors!!!)

My bet is that a lot of them are paying more tax than they need to.

Some accountants on here so maybe they will chime in.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, if I were to become an agent for pro triathletes, what value propositions for sponsors should I focus on? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Equipment manufactures have slim margins, so if you can get some stuff for free + bonus if you win, that can be a good deal for an up and coming athletes.

True, and for the most part the key suppliers in a sport like triathlon ounce you move away from, a Trek, or a Specialized, they are all small companies with VERY limited marketing budgets. Trust me, I work this market, and what i'm offering is often pretty substantial in terms of eye-balls on offer, to the right audience, for not very much money, and this get's turned down by just about everyone in the business!

Add in the fact that, in triathlons main market we have been in a bit of a slump now for 3 - 5 years. The FIRST thing to get cut in slow/hard times are marketing budgets (I don't agree with this, but it's the default thing that nearly 100% of mid-sized and smaller businesses and brands do).

Where the money is, is in what we call the non-endemics - businesses away from the supply area for that sport, but who may have an interest in the participants. But here again, triathlon suffers from small numbers. Also their will be variation from country to country based on culture and market. Jan Frodeno has Mercedes as a sponsor, but I'm guessing that here in North America, Lionel Sanders (or his agent), can't even get a meeting with a car company!!

It's all very challenging and complicated at the same time!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, if I were to become an agent for pro triathletes, what value propositions for sponsors should I focus on? [agyenis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a JD, but I don't have a job. Can I become a triathlon agent, too?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, if I were to become an agent for pro triathletes, what value propositions for sponsors should I focus on? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not even joking when I say that I'll bet with fair certainty that a 'normal' AGer like Triathlon Taren who has a strong online media presence and is targeted at AGers, will both be a lot more well known as well as a lot more of an effective product pitcher than nearly all the top pro winners at Kona save the #1 guy/gal there.

Agreed.

The Professional model of the way the Professional Sports Model is supposed to work, really only applies to a handful of triathletes in the whole of the sport. There are, as you note, others working the space, such as Taren, some coaches and other influencers who are more capable in moving the needle for sales, or at the very least brand awareness than many very good and top ranked professional triathletes.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Hypothetically, if I were to become an agent for pro triathletes, what value propositions for sponsors should I focus on? [Tri2Bake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is being looked at backwards and a bit old school. Media equivalency is a dated metric; astute marketers want to see reach and engagement for quantitative measurements. IMO qualitative is equally or more important; reach might get a brand seen but if content isn’t compelling there’s little value created.

Instead of telling brands what athlete X can do I’d ask brands what problem they need to solve, then work toward that. An athlete posting on Insta is a given, not a stand-out selling point (unless they have massive reach and great engagement, but that doesn’t seem to be discussion point here). Does someone have a great eye for photos? Crafty at doing video snips? An exceptional writer or storyteller? Able to transcend sport in a relatable way? Highly personable? Those are assets that can have real value to a brand’s comm program.
Quote Reply

Prev Next