Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hydrocelectomy performed 1/6/21, posting for those who may have or had this condition and considering surgery
Quote | Reply
Hello, I am one week into recovery from a hydrocelectomy performed on 1/6/21 and thought I would share my experience for anyone suffering from this condition. My hydrocele was on the right side and my testicle was about the size of a lime for reference. This was not affecting my swim and run per say but on my tri-bike in aero position it had become increasingly uncomfortable, to the point I noticed I was pedaling somewhat bow legged on the right side. After doing the research and reading other posts on here and the web, I saw a Urologist and he confirmed a suspected hydrocele. I did not want to try aspiration so agreed to the procedure. This was followed by a confirmatory, presurgical ultrasound, EKG , blood work and two COVID tests (first one was a day too early so had to go back). If anyone is considering this I can advise now to start the process about 12 weeks or so prior to base training for a new race season, its been very time consuming. Luckily I have about 36 weeks until my A race (Washington 70.3) so will have plenty of time to train and peak by then with a few Olympic races in between. To the details…..as mentioned my hydrocele was not huge but I had a dull pain in aero. Tried a Cobb Randee (previous saddle was a stock Shiv, very hard in my opinion) but even the Cobb caused pain. I had the surgery 1/6/21 at 830am and once out (had general anesthetic) my doc stopped by in recovery and said it went very well, under an hour. I was able to get up and urinate as required post surgery and was wheeled to my waiting ride home. The pain was not too bad, I even walked (hobbled rather) into the pharmacy to fill the 15 Percocet tabs. Once home I stayed in bed all day and iced the area with frozen peas in a gallon zip lock bag, rotating it for a new frozen one every two hours or so. Pain was not as bad as expected so only took one (instead of two) Percocet every four hours (4 pills day 1, 4 pills day 2). I also used a jock strap. On day 3 on I did not take any pain medication onward. First two days I was able to lightly walk around and showered the 2nd night. At first my scrotum looked almost normal in size but had a 3 inch incision with sutures. By day three things started changing. The sutures started to burn and swell a bit and the bruising started to set in (purple, red etc). I’m on day 7 now and still applying some ice infrequently, directly to the sutured area. It stopped bleeding day 3 and has had no sign of infection. I have to say it is still VERY tender but have taken no pain medicine since day 2. I walked a mile on my treadmill last night (33:00 pace) as a slow start to return to training. I have been advised no strenuous activity for 4 weeks post surgery. My plan is to start prep phase 30 days (2/8) after the surgery (including the bike) and be in base 1 phase 9 weeks (3/15) after the surgery. Things are going great thus far and I’m fortunate I work from home as I only took three days off. I was comfortably sitting at my PC this Monday to return to work. My advice at this point is get the procedure if you need it. Everyone’s case is unique and mine has been good thus far. I have had slight erections at night/morning (which I was very grateful of after some of the readings online). Right now the incision site is sore and my testicles in general have a dull pain (recall I’m 7 days recovered) but all this has been manageable. If you are considering this 1. Plan for about 12 weeks from the start (initial Doc visit) to when you want to begin base training; 2. prepare well, have frozen peas, non-stick gauze pads (2x4), a jock strap, fiber supplements and prunes for constipation , plenty of things within reach of bed (water, snacks, a trash can, anything you can think of you might need to get out of bed for- I’m single so this was important). I go next week for my 2 week follow-up and will post again but so far this has been a very good (as good as can be) experience for me. I want to thank everyone who posted on this regarding the subject as it helped educate and prepare me. If you are considering this procedure and have questions you do not want to post PM me I’d be glad to reply directly. Ill also keep posting as I heal and start to train again if it would be of value to anyone. My first race “should” be 5/29, Troika Olympic Tri in Medical Lake, Washington. Thanks, and be well, Tom.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydrocelectomy performed 1/6/21, posting for those who may have or had this condition and considering surgery [CDA70.32021] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the recovery. i had mine done in Dec 2016. my left testicle was the size of a jumbo orange. i was hoping to hold off surgery until after Cyclocross Nationals in January but found that I could no longer safely remount the bike without crushing my nut. I dont remember much other than I didnt need anything more than ibuprofen, did wear an athletic supporter and the worst part was having a drain removed from my scrotum about 3 or 4 days after the surgery. looking back at Strava my first ride was about 30 days after the surgery.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydrocelectomy performed 1/6/21, posting for those who may have or had this condition and considering surgery [CDA70.32021] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So this is where you have your Enter key removed?

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rock on man....I had it done on 12/11. Size of a lemon, awesome. Back at the VASA within a week. Running at day 15. Bike at roughly 3.5 weeks. Things are, as they say, more comfortable on the bike. :)

Bonus: got snipped as well.

No pics for reference. Sorry, I know.

YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had it done in February 2016, plus a vasectomy "while they were down there anyway..."

Here were some posts I made around the surgery:

The GMAN wrote:
Old post but thought I would resurrect it.

I'm having the surgery Monday morning. I have had a small hydrocele almost my entire life. It never bothered me so I never gave any thought to it except whenever I have a physical and the doc mentions it.

I had open inguinal hernia surgery on my right side in November 2014. The right side of my sack swelled up pretty bad. It went down a lot but it's still about twice the size pre-surgery. Once again, docs said if it's not bothering me then I shouldn't worry.

I didn't race at all in 2015 and didn't train much until the last couple of months of the year as I had planned to do the Panama 70.3 last month. Once I started riding for 2+ hours or running 9-10 miles it became uncomfortable. Additionally, seems I was more prone to epididymitis which is painful.

So I decided to have the surgery and figured I'd get a vasectomy while the doc was down there. Not looking forward to it at all. Literally one spot above death on my list of things I'd like to do on Monday.

The GMAN wrote:
9 days post op and I feel okay. I was laid up in bed for a couple of days and was able to shuffle around after that. Went back to work this week. The area hasn't been too painful but sleeping has been tough. I'm a side sleeper so every little shift wakes me up so I'm like a zombie right now.

My bag looks like a baseball with the stitches. The incision was 2.5 to 3 inches long from right to center of my sack. Took pain meds first three days and then stopped. Just being very careful and not overdoing it. I'm still walking around pretty gingerly but each day gets better. I'd like to get back to training in the next week or two. No way in hell I could run or sit on a bike seat right now.

The GMAN wrote:
13 days out and tried to ride a bike today with the family. Thought I felt pretty good. That was a very, very bad idea. Made it about 10 minutes and that was pedaling at grandma pace.

Now I've been laid up all day and my balls are killing me.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, to close this discussion wanted to share that I'm back in full-on training. Took about 2 weeks to recover enough to sit on a bike (gently). By 4 weeks I was lightly running, swimming and biking. At 7 weeks now pretty much back to normal, actually better than before. Going to get a new fit on both road and tri bikes this week now that my anatomy is no longer in the way. I do recommend this surgery for anyone who needs it an is considering.

Thanks so much and be well.

Tom
Quote Reply