Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hydration & Spare Setup ?
Quote | Reply
Just purchased some tubular racing wheels and was wondering what kind of setup people use for carrying spares. Also I'm limited to one water bottle on my frame and was wondering if I should go with a behind the seat carrier or maybe use a camelbak. Not sure how comfortable a camelbak would be say for a 1/2 or full IM distance. Currently I use an aero bottle and the bottle on the frame.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration & Spare Setup ? [Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Minoura makes a nice behind-the-seat carrier in a one or two bottle configuration. I've had no problems with ejecting bottles.

I like Camelback's classic 70oz. pack with a "tube director" for races up to 1/2 IM. Since you would have to stop to refill it if that was your only source of hydration you need to consider how hot a day you were going to use it and how much fluid per mile you need. Sometimes I need as much as 2oz/mile.

For carrying an extra tubular I just fold it up and compress it with a couple of the velcro-type straps you can get at Tri-zone and it fits nicely in a small under-seat pack with my CO2 inflator and cartridges. It's amazing how small you can get the tire with those straps.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration & Spare Setup ? [Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carry a spare tube and CO2 in a typical small, underseat bag. I have used a Camelbak for hydration in 1/2 distance and it worked very well. Not much, if any aero penalty. Much easier to drink from the bite valve than reaching for frame or seat mounted bottles. But, not enough fluid for full IM.

David
Quote Reply