Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hunt for Red October? Submarine Tech Wetsuits.
Quote | Reply
I vaguely remember reading about some technology that involved a gel that was applied to the outside of your wetsuit which lowered its drag coefficinet in the water. The technology was developed by (as I remember) a navy contractor for use in submarine and torpedo use. Did I just read this in a Tom Clancey book or is it real?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hunt for Red October? Submarine Tech Wetsuits. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are some new polymer coatings being put on boats to make them faster. They were developed under navy contract originally for use on hulls. The idea of the coating is to change the surface to being slightly hydrophillic instead of hydrophobic. This has shown to slip through the water better. There was also research done years ago on soft compliant underwater torpedos that were an attempt to replicate a dolphin's skin and their power to speed ratio. What became of this research I can't say. I worked at the company that did research and we had the torpedos and a 60 foot tank sitting around until we scrapped it all. They looked something like a torpedo coated in gel like the sorbothane in bike gloves only much softer. The gel was molded on though and not a spreadable kind of stuff.
Quote Reply