Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hub failure
Quote | Reply
Anyone seen this before?

Used wheel bought here last year. Rode a few hundred miles on it. Been sitting last few months as I've been on the trainer instead.

Is it worth pursuing a repair or let it go? It's a Zipp 404 tubular, dimples, but not firecrest.

Oh and please excuse the mess!

Thanks
Last edited by: dazzer: Feb 23, 19 20:42
Quote Reply
Re: Hub failure [dazzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dazzer wrote:
Anyone seen this before?

Used wheel bought here last year. Rode a few hundred miles on it. Been sitting last few months as I've been on the trainer instead.

Is it worth pursuing a repair or let it go? It's a Zipp 404 tubular, dimples, but not firecrest.

Oh and please excuse the mess!

Thanks

Check the serial numbers with Zipp, some of those were recalled.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember right the recall was front hub only but get in touch with zipp anyway.
Cause the failure looks exactly the same like on the front hub pre fc (v6-v8)

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp hub failure? I am shocked. Shocked I tell you. How could this happen? It's not like Zipp has a decades long history of using shitty hubs.
Quote Reply
Re: Hub failure [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for your input.

You're right. As far as I can tell the recalls were for the front hub only, though this wheel is of the right age (2010).

I will contact Zipp tomorrow, if only to make them aware of the situation. Given it's age and since i am not the original owner, I am not expecting anything them to do anything.

Weird thing (thankfully), is that it failed on my workstand sometime in last two weeks, and not when I was riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recalls are not an first owner thing,it’s for everyone worldwide.
Let em know, make sure to let em know you could be dead if it happens on the road.

Unfortunately the best selling brand sold that crap.

-shoki
Last edited by: shoki: Feb 24, 19 11:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dazzer wrote:
Anyone seen this before?
Sort of... although mine was a front hub and it failed at almost 40mph... summary it sucked.

Having said that, Zipp is pretty good to work with from what I know, send them a pic of the hub/wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Hub failure [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update-

So I sent some pics and spoke with a nice lady at Zipp.

Summary of their position-
“Due to it’s age, and since I am not the original owner, they can’t offer any factory support.
The wheel was evaluated by both their engineers and CPSC when they went through the front wheel recall and was deemed safe. And yes, they have seen other wheels fail like this”

She, like I, was glad it failed when I wasn’t riding.

We confirmed the age of the wheel as 2010-2011.

Was it a fluke? Will there be other failures in the future? I don’t know.

I do know that I will make other choices going forward for my wheel purchases.
Last edited by: dazzer: Feb 25, 19 15:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dazzer wrote:

I do know that I will make other choices going forward for my wheel purchases.

So would I. Bummer but not unheard.

Wonder how that chat went:
„I’m glad you didn’t ride outside and wind up still alive to make that call but since you not bought first hand and it’s an old shitty hub you are still running anyway we can’t help you any further then to tell you to f...o..“

If the rim is still worth it you could get another (non-zipp) hub and spokes btw.

-shoki
Last edited by: shoki: Feb 26, 19 0:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The old saying was “cheap, light, durable,...pick two”. Maybe it should have been “pick one” in the case of those hubs.

I guess it is possible that it was a cyclocross wheel before you bought it. Lots of people used the 303s in cross and I can’t see them ever being designed for that kind of abuse.
Quote Reply