Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How we doin? (not PC or Cervelo related, sorry)
Quote | Reply
Given that we are closing in on the end of the year and in about four months many of us will be tapering for the first race of the season (Ralph's), I was curious how the training is going for you all. Up here is Davis, we are deep in base building mode (though this is an easy week, thankfully) and anxiously awaiting the arrival of our newest "training partner" sometime after IM NZ. With cycling season starting, the bike intensity is likely to pick-up next month and the long runs will get longer. Hope you folks have finished the year healthy and fit and are looking forward '03.
Quote Reply
Re: How we doin? (not PC or Cervelo related, sorry) [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got an aweful cold, bumming me out. The other guys are on the Compu-Trainer and I'm spending too much time in front of the computer. Lots of people in today to say Merry Christmas. Calvin in today enjoying his new celebrity (http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/editorials/0000007.shtml) and things generally winding down on Christmas Eve. Luckily, lots of fun bikes in the works: Four Litespeed Sabers under construction, Two P2Ks, waiting on three P3s and building a beautiful Tequilo ('03) and a last year's Tiphoon for a nice lady with a British accent. Nice couple from Taipei, Taiwan in yesterday (The Earleys)- got a Tequilo and some Zipp 303s. All in all, happy to be surrounded by good people, fun equipment and a nice atmosphere. Health, peace and happiness to all you guys in '03. I'm up out 'dis boy.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the nice post, Garth. I'm starting to get "Ralph's Anxiety" already. My run base is solid; 12+ weeks at 40-50 miles a week. I'm still slow, but at least I'm a "longer slow." ;-)

Actually, I'm hoping (planning!) to move last year's 2:02 run down to sub 1:50. I'm starting to add some medium-intensity runs to the mix.

Bike is suffering from lack of attention. Had my first outdoor ride today in 3 months. It was sad. 90 minutes on a flat course and I couldn't manage 19 mph average. That was with PCs on the bike though.

My big goal at Ralph's is to just match last year's time. With the hillier course, that is a big enough goal for me. I've got to start riding in earnest this week. Today was a start.

Swim...oops. I forgot to swim. Gonna start in January. I'm hoping 10-12 weeks will be enough.

Happy Holidays to all of you!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garth, have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year. Root for the Tigers on New Years day in the Cotton Bowl.......they will need all the help they can get. Can you imagine being a fan of the LSU Tigers and New Orleans Saints this year? Almost like doing a 17:01 IM and hearing the announcer saying "too bad, you're not an Ironman."

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Don't know how teh Cotton Bowl will go, but [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the hoops team sure showed some grit when they handled Arizona last weekend.
Quote Reply
swimming is for water polo players [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and those of us who are "running challenged." Damn! 40-50 miles/week is no joke. Keep an eye to the IT band. My long run is up to 2 hours and I am already on the foam roller religiously. Matching last years Ralph's time is a hell of a goal, given the new course and the month earlier date. If I can go close to my time last year, I will be ecstatic. Hopefully, with the hills and less drafting, others will go a bit slower. Good luck with the 'cranks, hope they serve you well.
Quote Reply
Well if you don't take fitness into consideration, great! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went back to school this past September, and am currently fast-tracking my prerequisites in one of those 14hr-a-day hyper-intense re-training programs. I haven't trained since then. I'm thinking that I must have lost a lot of muscle mass, because my overall weight has remained more or less stable since the summertime - but I've developed quite the gut here. Oh well - the prerequisites should be done by May, and then I can deal with trying to fit some training in around an overloaded "normal" university workload. But this season and the next are more or less a wash, with a few races just for fun whenever I can.

(This is very easy to say from the safety of my computer - but when I'm suckin' wind and fighting to hold 19mph with a tailwind, we'll re-evaluate the "fun" parting about racing for Team Fat Bastard. )

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply