Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How unusual is this? Broken dura-ace cog
Quote | Reply
Just curious, as I've never heard of this happening to anyone. I was on an ~18% grade in the 19 tooth Dura Ace titanium cog, out of the saddle, giving it everything I've got (which isn't much), when the cog ripped out entirely, broken clean through. Managed to not go down or otherwise hurt myself. About 9,000 miles on the drivetrain, 3 years old. Is this just excessive wear, a defective part, installation? FWIW, I weigh 165 pounds and I'd be surprised if my one-second power ever gets over 800 watts. I'll admit to being a constant cross-chainer and sometimes I've used Wipperman chains and not Shimano, if any of that matters.
Quote Reply
Re: How unusual is this? Broken dura-ace cog [jmhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Early versions of the 11 speed durace had problems with the supporting spider breaking. I presume this is what happened here.
Shimano may warrant this, but really you got your normal miles out of it anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The latest generations of DA cassettes do not have the best reputation - usually it's the carbon carrier that breaks, though. I had one starting making squeaking noises in the largest cogs last year and changed it out knowing their history. I'd stick with Ultegra - or go SRAM Red if you want something fancy or their (IMO) better gear ratios.
Quote Reply
Re: How unusual is this? Broken dura-ace cog [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the useful comments.. I ended up replacing it with an 11-28 Ultegra cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it a DA 9000 cassette? As others have said, there are known issues with the carbon carriers creaking/breaking. Take a look at this article and see if your one is the same model:

https://bikerumor.com/...-eliminate-creaking/

I don't know if Shimano openly acknowledge there is/was an issue now, but you might be lucky and get a warranty replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: How unusual is this? Broken dura-ace cog [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's it... with the single rivet design as shown in the article.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmhtx wrote:
Just curious, as I've never heard of this happening to anyone. I was on an ~18% grade in the 19 tooth Dura Ace titanium cog, out of the saddle, giving it everything I've got (which isn't much), when the cog ripped out entirely, broken clean through. Managed to not go down or otherwise hurt myself. About 9,000 miles on the drivetrain, 3 years old. Is this just excessive wear, a defective part, installation? FWIW, I weigh 165 pounds and I'd be surprised if my one-second power ever gets over 800 watts. I'll admit to being a constant cross-chainer and sometimes I've used Wipperman chains and not Shimano, if any of that matters.
Yup. Super common as said above. It's basically a foregone conclusion on those models. Good news: send it to Shimano warranty replacement and they've seen so many of them that they'll get you a replacement within a couple days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, not to hijack the thread, but is it typical for a cassette to last 9000 miles/3 years? I must be a sucker -- I was told that the cassette should be replaced at the same time as the chain, every 3000 miles or so, or whenever the chain shows significant wear (stretch), so that's what I've always done.
Quote Reply
Re: How unusual is this? Broken dura-ace cog [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I change cassettes with every other chain. 3k per chain, so roughly 6k for a cassette. A bit more for my Campy stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: How unusual is this? Broken dura-ace cog [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyCaleb wrote:
So, not to hijack the thread, but is it typical for a cassette to last 9000 miles/3 years? I must be a sucker -- I was told that the cassette should be replaced at the same time as the chain, every 3000 miles or so, or whenever the chain shows significant wear (stretch), so that's what I've always done.

It says a lot about the manufacturing and material marginal gains over the last 20 years to be reading this thread.. we used to pay hundreds of $$ for aluminum freewheels that might last 5-6 road races.. same for super light rims. At most, this stuff lasted a season.. of racing only. Train on steel, race on Ti..

This design suffered from the failure mentioned above, essentially the pins rub a little counterbore on the outer face of the titanium cog and over time a stress fracture develops that connects to the rivet, it's as much a result of how narrow the spacing has become relative to the advancement in chains technology as anything else. Shimano have improved 'fixed' it in newer generations, but realistically 9000 miles from a Ti cassette is way beyond expectation.. or at least way beyond traditional expectations.

AndyCaleb is generally right, the chain and cassette should be replaced ~3k miles, mainly to keep the chain from wearing out the chainrings resulting in a far more expensive replacement.. but to let it go at 9k and replace the whole lot probably isn't bad! Either way, it's important to remember how good this stuff is nowadays.. half the weight, lasts 4 times as long and works 10x better, everything fails eventually and I think you can say that you ultimately got your money's worth out of this one!

Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: How unusual is this? Broken dura-ace cog [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
It says a lot about the manufacturing and material marginal gains over the last 20 years to be reading this thread.. we used to pay hundreds of $$ for aluminum freewheels that might last 5-6 road races..

Modern Dura-Ace cassettes use steel for most of the cogs, and are intended to be a decently long-lasting part. They're not a race-day-only item in the same way that the short-lasting aluminum freewheels of old were a race-day-only item.

The closest thing to a modern equivalent to the old-school aluminum freewheel cogs would be a modern aluminum cassette, like the Recon ones. Those are much lighter than Dura-Ace cassettes.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Mar 26, 19 18:14
Quote Reply