Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by dfquigley
Last edited by: dfquigley: May 8, 18 4:04
Re: How to verify garmin data is not tampered with? [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surely, time for the swim will be the giveaway? It's going to be a very slow 350m compared to your normal 700m after all. Common sense would suggest that 3:16/100m is slow. Show them some other swim data.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: May 8, 18 3:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your swim time doesn't seem out of line compared to other swim times you've posted on garmin. Seems like a pretty douche bag move on their (race director??) part to accuse you of not doing the distance without any real proof - ie. a volunteer that counted your laps short.
Even then, at our local sprints with indoor swim, if there is a small discrepency between the athlete's count and the volunteer's count, they go with the athlete.....bit of an honor system. I think they figure it would be obvious if someone swam 750m 1:30 faster than normal. That doesn't seem to be the case with your time.

IMHO, tell them to f*ck off....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't answer your question but folks here are often stalking results from other races, possibly training events. So can you show your prior swims that support a trend of your ability to swim the pace you did on race day?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by dfquigley [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a lot more difficult to tamper with this kind of file than what people are implying. I am sure its possible but .FIT files aren't something average Joe is going to be able to easily to change in a reliable way because the various data fields are all linked. The thing to note here is that what they are accusing you of tampering the file in most convoluted means possible by changing the total number of strokes you took.

Specifically your watch counted the number of strokes (306 which is only the arm with the watch so double it if you want total for both arms). Using this data all your stroke data is exactly what you would expect for a 50m pool and 700m total length i.e. stroke rate, strokes per length, total strokes, Swolf. If you would have screwed with the file to change either distance or time you would have also had to mess with stroke # or you would see a real anomaly in the swim pattern. Furthermore, the data is super super weird if you try and think about in a 25m pool with a total length of 350m. So we know the time, # of lengths, and # of strokes is all consistent and only the distance is off.

So either your explanation is correct and the file is true or you are an expert at manipulating .FIT files but forgot to alter the distance. A reasonable person is going to accept the first explanation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin files aren't intended to be tamper-proof. Even Canon's system that tried to achieve that for photographs was a failure:
https://www.pcworld.com/.../211965/article.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
I thought the same thing, At first, have done a 2.1 km open water swim in 33 minutes, averaging 1:36/100m just last summer, for the 350 to be accurate I’d be swimming 3:16/100m rather than 1:38/100m that adjusting it to 50m would make.

I also have swim workouts from the 2 weeks before the race with race work intervals being done roughly at or just under 1:30/100m pace.

That said, the contention seems to be that I somehow altered the garmin data to make it look like I swam that pace after something went wrong, got passed by someone, then got out of the water before them.
If they think or claim that Garmin files are not valid proof, you can try arguing it but it might be wiser to drop that line of argument for now and instead show them other official race results that demonstrates your claimed time and distance reflects a consistent performance and is in no way unusual for you. Then point out that honestly Garmin files are not easily editable for lengths, strokes, etc...

Surely laps were counted and times taken at transitions? I'm not clear on why they are calling your performance into doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: How to verify garmin data is not tampered with? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help everyone, this was a friend which makes it that much more difficult.

Being a delicate situation with both my friend, and the individual I am reaching out to trying to clear my name, I thought it would be best to remove my comments at least for now.

I have a full write-up on what happened that I can re-share once this is resolved if anyone wants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in no way suggesting that you've done anything wrong or what your "friend" has suggested, however, a simple Google search for "fit file tools" turned up several sites that offer up ways to edit the data. This one include the ability to edit pool swim data. I didn't go down the rabbit trail to see if it's possible edit lengths swam, pool length, etc. though.

http://fitfilerepairtool.info
Quote Reply
Re: How to verify garmin data is not tampered with? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree there are ways to modify files.

I have heard of 3rd party sites that will make gps runs for you etc.

I just wasn’t able to tell if therecwas a reasonable way to tell that yes, this file is unmodified, such as pulling it right off the watch and seeing some sort of creation stamp indicating when and by what is was created or modified etc

I have also read about tell-tals signs of people speed doping using some of these other sites too etc.

If anyone knows, it would be slowtwitch sleuths
Last edited by: dfquigley: May 8, 18 4:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a friend who you see on a regular basis? As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) you can't edit a garmin file in the watch. Can you show them the summary data on your watch? Or they can watch you re-upload the data file (there must be a way to do that somehow)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: How to verify garmin data is not tampered with? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is one avenue I wanted to explore actually uploading directly from the watch.

I don’t see him often, mostly at races these days, we both ride fir the same bike shop, I used to be coached by him in the swim soecifically, then swam with his wife in masters for a while.

Only thing I don’t know is, can someone modify a file, then move the file to the watch and then attempt to sync with a new computer, making it appear like it was the original?

I didn’t even have access to a computer between the time I finished the race, got my bike and then had to rush home and back on the road to get to a funeral service for a family member.

Only one within reach for the couple minutes I changed was my kids cheap laptops as my computer is on the fritz and i uploaded the race via my phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's tougher when the athlete has done well versus done just an average middle of pack performance. Sounds like somebody complained or something.

But, I would hope they'd try to work with the athlete as soon as the event is over by looking at their device and uploaded data right then. Then you KNOW they didn't have time to tamper with it.

I had a time trial event drop my timing chip when they gave it to me. I had never used one so thought the velcro strap somehow had it inside. I finished and they were like "oh, where's your chip?". They accepted a look at my bike computer and Strava activity when I walked to the timing tent to show them. Mind you I wasn't going to be a winner in my class at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you go and connect your device there should be a "Date Created" and "Date Modified" tag (right click on window tag to select shown data fields).

You may be able to use this to help your case with the race officials.

Re: your friends, I'm pretty sure a real friend would accept your explanation of events.
Quote Reply
Re: How to verify garmin data is not tampered with? [JStirfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JStirfry wrote:

Re: your friends, I'm pretty sure a real friend would accept your explanation of events.

This.
Quote Reply
Re: How to verify garmin data is not tampered with? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Data file is easy to edit and upload back into the watch.
Having said that, pretty much if you screwed with the file, then you will be found out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was a pool swim race? This isn't really that hard: What was your time and what was the distance?

Because of something you said I have a sneaky suspicion you are guilty. I hope I am wrong. Help me proof myself wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: How to verify garmin data is not tampered with? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's starting to feel a lot like this:

Quote Reply
Re: How to verify garmin data is not tampered with? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, here is a draft write-up that I saved earlier with all the pertinent information I could find and think of, hope it helps.

I'm in the unfortunate situation that someone I know and value as a friend has accused me of cheating, and I am looking for help in clearing my name. Keep in mind, this is not someone trying to make me look bad, or has it out for me, I contend that it's an extremely unfortunate matter of mistaken identity.

The situation is as follows, and I will provide all the information I do have.

Firstly for swim form context, I have been working on my swim, bike and run and improved in all three disciplines over the last few years.

In 2015 I did Challenge Penticton, and clocked a 1:11 swim split, here is the garmin file. Being a 310xt I was using, i used the old set it to "other" and put it in the swimcap trick.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/884139750

Last year I did the Cherry Blossom Sprint Triathlon, and clocked a 12:43 for the swim. Unfortunately I was using a fenix 2, so while the watch was running, I had to manually turn it into a swim in garmin connect, and don't have lap data etc.

Since then I improved my swim, doing the Across the Lake swim, a 2.1 km swim, in 33 minutes, clocking an average 1:36/100m pace.

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/1856104941

In training recently I have had workouts such as this:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2642129474

and this:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2656838490

Fast forward to this last weekend, I was setting up triathlon mode on my fenix 3, and as I was about to get into the pool, I realized that I could actually select pool swim for my first activity, instead of open water or other, like my previous watches.

In doing so, it was still set to 25m which I train in, but this swim was in a 50m pool.

As such I recorded 14 lengths, and have time splits for each length, and garmin has each length labeled as 25m, so garmin and strava are showing that I swam 350m instead of 700m.

Now it's much more than just that. During the swim, racer #16 was passing someone, this person apparently stopped and yelled at her, and then she continued swimming.

There were people who saw this, and were shocked. I have no idea what was said, or why, all I know is that I did not yell at or to anyone.

The swimmer incorrectly thought that it was me that she passed.

I got out of the water immediately ahead of her by roughly 30 seconds.

Somehow people thought it was me who yelled at her, and after the race identified the guy in the chainline jersey as the guy who did this, apparently from what they could see of my kit in the water, then putting it together when I got out.

Problem is, she never passed me, I was out of the water ahead of her. Her husband who is a good friend of mine, surmised that if she passed me in the water, but I got out first, I must have cheated.

Seeing the 350m length pool swim on Strava seemed to be the "AHA!" moment that confirmed his suspicions.

At first I didn't even realize he was accusing me of cheating, it was inferred by the fact that I passed her, yelled at her, then somehow got out of the water first.

He does not care about the yelling, but about me apparently cheating.

Here is the strava activity, and the comment thread is on there:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1554873292 ( he has since removed his comments, but it started off with a "bit short" quip followed by asking how I got passed by her, then got out of the water first, then a full on telling me to man up and admit it" etc. )

I linked my actual garmin connect activity on there showing that it was set to 25m, but that I did in fact complete 14 lengths.

Here is the garmin activity:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2679713015

I seeded myself at 10:15, but went out a touch quick, but realized on the first lap I was still feeling a recent marathon in my legs, and as such kept slowing down, had 2 people pass me, one pass took longer as they were on my feet the entire length, so i stood and let them by, but the times I was swimming even a bit off are consistent with my training as well as internally consistent with someone who swam 700m with the wrong setting in 1:38/100m, rather than someone who only swam 350m in an average pace of 3:16.

When I showed this to him, he says he can't trust ANY of the garmin data, asserting I may have manipulated it in order to hide my cheating, because the distance is already wrong. He does trust however 4 eye witnesses that say I was the person who she passed, by having a one piece chainline kit on ( nobody else in the race was wearing one )

As far as the eyewitnesses go, I assume that with how quick things happen, they saw what this guy looked like, and thought it was me.

I compiled a list of racers 10-16, numbers are based on seed time, and each consecutive racer starts 15 seconds apart, so first is number 1 ( Jeff Symonds ) 15 seconds later number 2, then at 30 seconds number 3 and so on, so there were 90 seconds between me ( 10 ) and her ( 16 ) starting.

Based on the finish times of the swim, the order changed from,

10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

to

11, 12, 10, 16, 15, 14, 13

This is based on the swim splits I compiled from the results page:

https://racedaytiming.ca/results/2018CherryBlossomTriathlon

This puts both 11 and 12 as having passed me, 11 did so early, and 12 did so late.

This puts racers 13, 14 and 15 as having been passed by 16 during the race.

Looking at the results, racer 13 was female, so no reason to go see if she could be mistaken for me.

I browsed the KelownaNow sports page for photos of racers 14 and 15 to see if this could be a case of mistaken identity as I've said it must be from the start.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Kelownanowsports/photos/?tab=album&album_id=619335448405446

First I found this image of racer 15, with a cycling top on, so that ruled out being mistaken for me in a one piece tri suit.

https://www.facebook.com/Kelownanowsports/photos/a.619335448405446.1073741986.378091675863159/619338738405117/?type=3&theater

Then I found this photo of what appeared to be racer 14 based on the arm numbering:

https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31957779_619338501738474_7261992908088147968_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=6dc28d9425c6a97e34c455be325c085d&oe=5B8FCC01

Kept looking and found a pretty clear front picture with race bib on:

https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31950273_619342535071404_5934770008428118016_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=2d280b20dd6513ed6bc3293fe8fea121&oe=5B9271C3

And finally, here is a picture of me, in my kit:

https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31944507_619341965071461_3152308418178449408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=8dd52fb5af7c0d71339114690082338d&oe=5B94BAFC

Once I saw the image of racer 14, I knew what must have happened, this guy yelled something to or at her as she passed, no idea what or why, but people saw what the kit looked like, and when I got out of the pool immediately before her, they saw what seemed like the same kit, read chainline and was like "THAT'S THE GUY!!!"

They then approached her afterwards to say what they saw, so between the swimmer who thought it was me and 3 people on the deck, this case of mistaken identity is leading 2 people I value as friends as thinking that I have cheated in the race.

They don't care about the yelling, whatever happens in a race, they're very disappointed that I'd cheat, and brought it to the attention of the race directors.

I approached the race directors as well, gave them the link to my garmin account, did some sleuthing, found all of the above information, so everything seems to be coming into view as to how this misunderstanding happened, and believe what I have said and my suspicions as to how the mistake happened. It's just an individual friend who still doesn't accept it.

This is both my integrity in the community as well as friendships at risk here.

I still have the original activity in my watch, as well as the file on garmin connect that I uploaded via my garmin connect app on my phone. I haven't even re-named the activities.

One of the key contentions is that because the garmin data says 350m instead of 700m, that we can't rely on ANY of the data, as it may have been doctored to make it look like I completed 14 lengths in times that would line up with my completed swim time.

I have no idea how someone could doctor that up, and my computer isn't even working at the moment, I am stuck writing this on one of my kids laptops.

Is there any way to show that the data was not doctored, that I in fact did swim 14 lengths of whatever pool i was in, in the times indicated?

Is there anything else I can do to clear my name?

I did do a search for the name of racer 14, and think I found a school email for them, and sent them an email letting them know about the situation that I am in, hoping that they can come forward as the person who yelled at or to her in the pool when getting passed, as at this point I suspect that nothing less will show my innocence and preserve my integrity.

Quote Reply
Re: How to verify garmin data is not tampered with? [JStirfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JStirfry wrote:
When you go and connect your device there should be a "Date Created" and "Date Modified" tag (right click on window tag to select shown data fields).

You may be able to use this to help your case with the race officials.

I did this and this is the file details:

Official race start time was delayed until 7:53 ( from scheduled 7:45 ) as they made sure the roads were 100% closed.

Being seeded 10th, I would start 2:15 after the first racer, ( 15 second delay between each seeded starter )

Full race was 1:07:44 according to the race results. This would put me as crossing the line and hitting stop at approximately 9:03 am.

Few minutes later after catching my breath and a few people asked me how I did, I looked at my watch again and hit the save button, 9:07 am being the finalization of the file.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good lord. It’s a flipping pool swim who gives a shit? Tell him he’s a fricking moron if he thinks you swam at 3:16 pace and if he doesn’t believe you to go to hell.

Damn anyone with 1/10th of a brain would know you didn’t do 3:16 pace for a pool swim if you swam 1:11 in an Ironman.

Or tell him to come on here and I’ll tell him he’s an idiot. This isn’t rocket surgery.
Quote Reply
Re: How to verify garmin data is not tampered with? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Good lord. It’s a flipping pool swim who gives a shit? Tell him he’s a fricking moron if he thinks you swam at 3:16 pace and if he doesn’t believe you to go to hell.

Damn anyone with 1/10th of a brain would know you didn’t do 3:16 pace for a pool swim if you swam 1:11 in an Ironman.

Or tell him to come on here and I’ll tell him he’s an idiot. This isn’t rocket surgery.

Better yet, challenge him to a swim off and live stream it so we all have something to do at work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With friends like you have who needs enemies.

you need new friends !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: How to verify garmin data is not tampered with? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can’t blame them for thinking what they do, given how it looked, but I am now in contact with the racer she passed who looked like me, and am one step closer to a resolution :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next