Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to use a Polar Vantage during a race, can it be used with a Polar M460?
Quote | Reply
I have been out of the triathlon scene for a while; but started riding again and have a Polar M460. I picked up a Polar Vantage to use as an activity monitor and to start running again with it.

What I can't figure out is how to get them to work together; I like the m460 display when I ride, but would rather not look at my watch to get my cadence or HR.

Back in the old days I could get the bike sensors and watch to use the same sensors, I am kind of loss at how I would use the Vantage V during a race?

Do people not have something on the bike showing your cadence or power?

I searched and searched and couldn't found much online about using the Vantage during an actual race.
Quote Reply
Re: How to use a Polar Vantage during a race, can it be used with a Polar M460? [blue_tool_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure this hits your Qs exactly. But here goes what I do know...

I've got a Vantage M (the cheaper Vantage that has no barometer).

As I understand my watch it does not 'cast' its data real time - eg you can't have your Polar Vantage watch's wrist based optical HR be displayed onto a device on the bike hadlebars.

The Vantage is also bluetooth only. No Ant+.

My setup for HR is I still use a chest strap mostly - I have a Wahoo TickR chest strap and that outputs both Ant+ and bluetooth.
The Ant+ is used to display HR onto my Garmin Edge when on the bike.
And the bluetooth connects to the Vantage watch so I get more accurate HR on the watch (and on the run as well as bike obvs) than the optical HR will ever give. Doing that also automatically turns off the optical HR on the watch and so extends the battery even further (I was out for 14.5 hrs on my last event and the watch was still at 50% battery afterwards and had got back to my accom).
Quote Reply
Re: How to use a Polar Vantage during a race, can it be used with a Polar M460? [blue_tool_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The polar units will not talk to each other. I used to have all polar set up but now just a vantage with chest strap and wahoo bike computer. The following may work for your set up though:

For races I set up my watch so it only reads out HR and speed during the bike leg in triathlon mode;
  • don't pair your power meter to the watch (only the bike computer) and
  • make sure your settings on the watch allow to share the HR data with other devices.
  • This only works if you have a H10 polar chest strap setup (better data anyway) paired to both the watch and bike computer, the vantage wont share wrist based HR.

Then I just use my bike computer to give me my readouts during the ride as any other.

Hope this helps

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply