Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to train for a 70.3 and 140.6 in one season
Quote | Reply
Some background:
- I've done two 70.3s and one 140.6 this year.
- My A race for next year would be IM Santa Rosa in late July.
- I'd also like to do IM 70.3 Santa Rosa in early May.
- It should be a good opportunity to get familiar with the course as it overlaps with the July race.
- The timing is good that I could really build for this event, recover and have several blocks of training blocks before the July race.
- Given the gap between the two races, I'd like to treat this as my A race as well.

I see at least two approaches
Plan 1. Follow a 70.3 specific plan leading to the 70.3; then transition to a 140.6 plan for the July event.
Plan 2. Follow a 140.6 plan which effective trains through the 70.3 event.

My question, what's the pros and cons of these two approaches? Which one would theoretically give me a better performance at the 140.6 event?

I have attached two ATPs following a 4-week recovery cycle simulating these two scenarios.

Plan 1:

Plan 2:

Last edited by: ygui: Oct 23, 16 22:18
Quote Reply
Re: How to train for a 70.3 and 140.6 in one season [ygui] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are over-thinking this. Plan should be to get as fit as possible during the buildup to each of the races. If you can race the 70.3 with little taper and recovery time, you can use that 70.3 race as a hard workout leading into the full IM.

The race in itself is a fitness builder. Train for the IM if that's what matters, and just go out on the 70.3 for a hard supported confidence booster for IM Santa Rosa.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Races are 11 weeks apart

I would use the first scenario and treat both races as "A" races

You're going to be training to your maximum sustainable volume for the Half anyway (at least you should be) so other than a little bit different intensity your training load will be nearly the same and you'll enjoy the half more by being better rested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically agree with these guys. With 11 weeks, accounting for one week recovery and two weeks of taper, that gives you eight weeks. Which lends itself well to two 3-1 peak cycles.

Let's be honest, that's probably what WTC had in mind anyways. You can call them a lot of things (and people do), but 'dumb' is definitely not one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: How to train for a 70.3 and 140.6 in one season [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Races are 11 weeks apart

I would use the first scenario and treat both races as "A" races

You're going to be training to your maximum sustainable volume for the Half anyway (at least you should be) so other than a little bit different intensity your training load will be nearly the same and you'll enjoy the half more by being better rested.

Just to be clear on this:

Colin and I are suggesting different things.

He is suggesting to use the race with minimal rest and use it as a confidence builder
I'm suggesting to put "A" race status on it and taper for it.

Both can be done, both have their good points, our opinions on how to go about doing the half differ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may be the easiest question I'll answer all week ;-)

-Train specifically for, peak & freshen for the 70.3 ... I'd even advise an OD race 4-7 weeks before as well
-Take a BREAK after the 70.3 ... VERY light sessions for 7 days... maybe a long EASY 3-4hr ride the weekend after
-THEN start your build to your late July race (most athletes start their build up much too soon)

Just wrote a small piece that may give you some insight: http://www.dklatourette.blogspot.com

EDIT ... I should add, I'd strongly consider getting away from a plan that has a "3 weeks on / 1 week down" system ... too many athlete can;t truly handle 3 weeks AND 7 days "down" is not necessary or effective

BTW - I live n Santa Rosa

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Oct 24, 16 10:38
Quote Reply
Re: How to train for a 70.3 and 140.6 in one season [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. I think I will go for the "Two Peaks" plan, train specifically for the 70.3 and then transition into Build for the 140.6 event.

I like this approach as it will probably give me more "speed" from the 70.3 build where I dedicate the last two months on endurance at or near that speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're fit, and it sounds like that is your plan, then one needs somewhere between 6-12 weeks of specific IM focused training to do well in an IM.

I didn't bother to click on the graph you embedded but I can think of 4-6 different ways to skin that cat so you're racing both races to your fitness potential

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply