Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How to thank your bike shop?
Quote | Reply
I’m looking for ideas on how to thank my local bike shop. I know the typical is beer (and I’m assuming in my case bringing lots of it), but I’m wondering what any of you have done to express sincere gratitude to your shop. I’ve had some rough luck the past few months, and basically the entire shop has been supportive and friendly and near-therapists at times, and I’m trying to brainstorm ways to really say thank you from the bottom of my heart.

In a time where so many of our experiences in brick and mortar stores seems negative, I’m hoping for some ideas to show this team that they’re really special. Have any of you been in this position and found something that was able to convey this?

My shop is part of a larger company and my next step will be heading to their feedback page to share this sentiment, but I’m not sure what I can do on an individual level to really express my gratitude.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: How to thank your bike shop? [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lunch.
Beer.
Leave positive reviews.
Bring them business.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: How to thank your bike shop? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thank you!

I also received the suggestion of baked goods? Yes?

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-money
-referrals/reviews (that will hopefully bring them more money)
Quote Reply
Re: How to thank your bike shop? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean gift cards / cash in envelopes? Because I'm definitely spending money there.

I also checked - I've already reviewed them on Google and Yelp. I guess I can 'update' the reviews?

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cash. You know, the kind you can spend anywhere, anytime. I will give my preferred mechanic some (small) amounts of cash now and again to say thank you (and keep me high on his preferred client list!)
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 14, 20 10:32
Quote Reply
Re: How to thank your bike shop? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it, thank you!!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife likes to bake. Abut 50% of the time she'll bake double or triple what she wants/needs. One of us will take the extras up to the shop on a regular basis. I've done beer a few times but they seem to get so much of that that they seem to really appreciate something different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you need something little dont get it on amazon, buy it from them.

i have a LBS that is ran by a super cool old hippie. hes a specialized dealer so ive bought all but one of my bicycles from him. every time i go back and buy something as simple as chamios butter he always has a very appreciative "thank you".

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: How to thank your bike shop? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's reassuring that the baked goods are appreciated - will definitely do this and immediately and keep it in mind for future baking!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim13 wrote:
I’m looking for ideas on how to thank my local bike shop. I know the typical is beer (and I’m assuming in my case bringing lots of it), but I’m wondering what any of you have done to express sincere gratitude to your shop. I’ve had some rough luck the past few months, and basically the entire shop has been supportive and friendly and near-therapists at times, and I’m trying to brainstorm ways to really say thank you from the bottom of my heart.

In a time where so many of our experiences in brick and mortar stores seems negative, I’m hoping for some ideas to show this team that they’re really special. Have any of you been in this position and found something that was able to convey this?

My shop is part of a larger company and my next step will be heading to their feedback page to share this sentiment, but I’m not sure what I can do on an individual level to really express my gratitude.

I work 1-2 days a week at a shop. Nothing is ever expected, hopefully if we provide good service then hopefully you will continue to open your wallet 😀 (with us!)

Having said that, we are downtown, a 10$ coffee card from our preferred shop across the street is very much appreciated. Additionally people bring beer...but our shop is kind of weird in that 3 of us don’t drink.

....so basically one guy gets 2-3 six packs a week! Nobody says anything, I don’t think people realize that basically by accident we are pretty much a sober shop.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: How to thank your bike shop? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes absolutely! Fortunately / unfortunately my shop is part of a larger store (Sports Basement, a NorCal chain) - so there's plenty of opportunity to buy all sorts of good stuff every time I go in. But awesome thank you!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: How to thank your bike shop? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for chiming in - I'm glad there's no expectation. This team in particular has been above and beyond regular good service so that's why I'm looking for ideas. But! Thank you so much for pointing out the fact that some people don't drink. I think I may have to bring in a box with a variety of stuff - baked goods, beer, and cash. Don't want to make anyone uncomfortable.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cash tip or beer in the short term, repeat business and referrals in the long term.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.. we have a costumer, a grandma, she provides us [always by surprise] with "Dampfnudeln“ [a regional speciality from yeast dough with a salty crust that can be baked heavenly delicious in a heavy cast iron pan with great experience only] around christmas season .. we do everything for her bike !!

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: Jan 14, 20 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: How to thank your bike shop? [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent thank you!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: How to thank your bike shop? [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, new baking aspirations! The Dampfnudeln sound amazing (and are they from Bavaria? My family is originally from the region :) so I always try to experiment with recipes). I guess I'll have to step up my game after this round!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: How to thank your bike shop? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Lunch.
Beer.
Leave positive reviews.
Bring them business.

This is the correct response

ETA: Don't be a dick when someone DOES come in on your recommendation, and ask to have something comped

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My LBS took care of me in getting my bike ready for Dirty Kanza. I brought them back several pairs of (new) race-branded socks. Something a little different than bringing in the six-pack of beers (which I also do).
Quote Reply
Re: How to thank your bike shop? [merlinkim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was awesome of you, what a fantastic idea!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.. in Bavaria the typical "Germknödel" has no crust and therefore a plum jam filling .. the "Dampfnudel" we here in the Kurpfalz dream about is a steam baked Pfälzer tradition with a salty crust [arguing about the origin could end the cultural friendship we live in], which we love to dip in vanilla custard .. for a common web start of info [a grandma who knows about the secrets is heavily needed]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dampfnudel

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Re: How to thank your bike shop? [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy cow. I love this, thank you so much for sharing. Maybe one day I'll be able to post a 'bake report' and share these!

For the record, I've put together a snack basket as well as some baked goods. And beer for good measure. Thanks all :)

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pizza. It was easy to do a well received.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going back now!

Back when I worked in a bike shop we would have customers do all kinds of cool things that we appreciated.

We would get pizza, lunch's, baked goods, candy, cases of beer (I was totally of age then =P), our favorite drinks from coffee shops and of course repeat business.

One of my favorite things was also when a customer would just hang around (within reason) and talk with us about whatever or give positive reinforcement when new clients walked through the doors.

We never expected it but I can tell you that those who surprised us with stuff randomly got a little more attention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May i express that holy cow is my favorite english expression ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply

Prev Next