Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to tell when it's time for new running shoes?
Quote | Reply
So I'm a little over 300 miles in my brooks ghost 12 and things are starting to feel a little funny. I'm getting pain in my shins when I run in them now, and it's a really weird pain. It's not a sharp pain like shin splints would be, but more of a dull pain akin to too much blood being in the muscle that runs down my shins. Is it just time for a new pair of shoes?
Quote Reply
Re: How to tell when it's time for new running shoes? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
probably, yeah. I set a limit of 400 miles for my shoes but at 300 they are starting to get pretty banged up.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: How to tell when it's time for new running shoes? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be time, some people go 300 miles, some 600 miles. It's totally individual.

You could get a new pair and rotate them in to see if it makes a difference. Brooks makes a good quality shoe, I'd expect them to last longer.

Personally, my Riders start feeling good around 300 miles and I run them 600-700.

Edit: I normally get 250-300 out of lighter race shoes.
Last edited by: jaretj: Apr 1, 20 10:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always replace mine at 300 miles, regardless of how they feel. There have been plenty of times where they still felt OK to me, until I switched out to a new pair and realized how much the old ones had broken down. IMO, relative to everything else tri-related that I spend on it's cheap insurance against injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the day end in Y?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duganator99 wrote:
So I'm a little over 300 miles in my brooks ghost 12 and things are starting to feel a little funny. I'm getting pain in my shins when I run in them now, and it's a really weird pain. It's not a sharp pain like shin splints would be, but more of a dull pain akin to too much blood being in the muscle that runs down my shins. Is it just time for a new pair of shoes?

THAT's how I tell. I usually try and avoid that, by noting what mileage THAT happens at. Then for the next pair, I start paying attention as I get close. If things still feel good, I'll keep going...but, I'm on "alert" for any niggles, sings of loss of stability, etc. At the first sign, I bail, retire the shoes in Garmin, and move on to the next pair.

I used to only get ~325-350 miles before I'd reach a point like the above. A few changes over the last couple of years have enabled me to get closer to 550 or so. Sometimes the tread wears out before the shoe, now-a-days. It just gets slick and has no grip in wet/damp conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get whichever's on sale at Famous Footwear/Payless/DSW/etc. Although the asics I'm in now were a sweet deal at the outlet

I'm fortunate not to have any sort of bio-mechanical issues serious enough to warrant spending more than $60 for a pair of hi-tech bobos that could seriously last me 800 miles or so

Remember those OG dudes you used to see that would run their shoes until the treads were flapping around? Yeah, I'm them

YMMV - literally

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I write this post a lot. But it's true so I'm going to write it again..

In my experience, the majority of breaking down of running shoes comes in the outsole. Not in the midsole. The outsole wears down because it scrapes the ground every step. Over a few hundred miles you might lose a few millimeters but that makes a big difference.

The next time you are about to throw out your old shoes and you have a brand new pair, put them side by side and compare them. Look at the wear spots. It's not hard to see why the old ones feel so much worse

The key to making your shoes last longer is to prevent that outsole wear. And that's both easy and cheap to do. Use Shoe Goo. You can buy it most pharmacies and hardware stores. You just apply a thin coat of it on the outsole areas that you tend to wear out and let it dry overnight. Run in the shoes for a few weeks and re-apply. Depending on what the midsoles of your particular shoes are made out of , you can double, even triple the life of your shoes. Now, my shoes only wear out when I split the sides.
Quote Reply