Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How to stop people from crossing the line with entourage in tow..
Quote | Reply
I think i may have a solution on how to prevent this from happenning...

From the IMWI Athlete Information Guide, it reads..
4. THE FINISH LINE AREA IS A VERY CONGESTED AND FAST-PACED AREA. For safety, ABSOLUTELY NO family, children, spouses, friends, fans, etc., are allowed into the finish area.

I propose that any participant who have their entourage finish with them, should not be given their Finisher's Medal. Simple as that. Consider it a DNF due to failure to adhere to marshal/race officials instructions.

I know it may seem harsh, but just from watching the IMKY, I bet that at the end of the day, there will probably be equal to or more entourage members crossing the line than race participants. That is just stupid ridiculous.

What does this mean to all of us who follow the rules..? It means that these DNF'd athletes will be pissed at the race management, maybe enough for them to not sign up the following year, and that way, open up registration bottleneck for all of us.

Let the flaming begin...

Paul..
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop people from crossing the line with entourage in tow.. [Paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some guy in Canada just crossed with 5 people plus a huge stroller!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop people from crossing the line with entourage in tow.. [Paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the funny thing - all the NAIMs have this rule, yet the only place you every see it is in the Athlete Guide. If they announced and DQ'd it wouldn't take long till they didn't even need to put it in the guide...

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they put it in the athlete's guide, then they:

1. Have a corral where your family can wait for you so you can cross together

2. Constantly feature highlights of people finishing with their families during their video clips

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably will get flamed, but I think it's a good idea. It's just the principle to me that people don't follow the rules and the fact they're not enforced. For my next Ironman, I'm going to see how many rules I can break before someone says something or I get Disqualified. I'm going to come across with 2 dozen of my buddies, and I'm going to draft the whole way on the bike, pass on the right, and then I'm going to be wearing headphones and talking on my cellphone during the run without a shirt on. ;o)
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop people from crossing the line with entourage in tow.. [tildenm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but if you piss off that group of people, they might stop buying all that IM branded merchandise. They can't afford that with the release of their brand new Iron Man Mattress. Actually careing about your time and considering it a race is way over rated.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop people from crossing the line with entourage in tow.. [HeloPilot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a guy running while talking on his cell phone today...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop people from crossing the line with entourage in tow.. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why I keep racing Ironman races...
I give people room on the finish line :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what's the problem you're trying to solve?

If people are being inconsiderate (i.e. blocking someone else) then I say they deserve and immediate bitch-slap, even if their 5yo kid is watching.

But otherwise, I don't see this as a big deal. For MANY IM finishers this is a huge freakin' deal, life milestone, and they want to share it. I know my 4yo was in FREAKIN heaven when he got to cross the finish with my (this was a small Oly race, not a 2400 person race)

Maybe it's the considerate part that I overestimate. People r dumb, especially "da public". Man I hate "da public".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who wants to stop people from doing this? Race Directors don't. During the course talk, the head official at Steelhead encouraged people to cross the finish line with their kids.

Although I will cross the finish line (good lord willing) without anyone accompanying me at Ironman Wisconsin, I think this practice is GREAT for the sport.

beyourownsuperhero
Last edited by: Action Figure: Aug 26, 07 18:56
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop people from crossing the line with entourage in tow.. [HeloPilot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe we can purposely make a mockery of the finish chute. I have a plan...

At out ST get together (before every IM), we will usually be there with our families/friends/SO. So.., everytime we see one of the ST people coming in, the entire group of these family members/friends/SO should just rush the finishing chute behind our ST athlete. Maybe after 20 or so times of this happening, the referees/course marshals will start to enforce the rule. What say all of u ST members..?

Paul..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you want to make a mockery of the IM finish?

(okay, I really think your post is funny... and my mental image of it is very entertaining -- even if I disagree with the sentiment)

beyourownsuperhero
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop people from crossing the line with entourage in tow.. [pcsronbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In taking your driver's exam, it says that u should not proceed to cross the intersection when the light is red. So, if u see no one present at the intersection, do u run the red light..? Rules are there for a purpose, and are meant to be adhered to.

Paul..
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop people from crossing the line with entourage in tow.. [pcsronbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem is they are more often then not blocking someone. I helped a buddy train for IMAZ this year and warned him to space himself for the finish(he wanted a photo) and he slowed down for the entourage in front and here comes another screaming by and screwing up his finish. Take the kids to Disneyland, but I don't know why your finish has to be more important than someone elses. For many people the Olympics are a milestone but no one comes across with their families. What's the difference? The Ironman is a race, and the finish is not a ride at an amusement park. And you're right it wouldn't be bad if people just used some common courtesy and only brought one or two people, and spaced themselves. But 9 times out of 10 that doesn't happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's funny, that was the exact idea i had. And to the other post it is already a mockery when you see people chatting on their cell phones while just strolling around the lake.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop people from crossing the line with entourage in tow.. [Action Figure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why would you want to make a mockery of the IM finish?

(okay, I really think your post is funny... and my mental image of it is very entertaining -- even if I disagree with the sentiment)
Just to make it aware to the RD that this rule is not being enforced. Seriously, if nobody does anything, do u think that the RD is going to care..? Heck, the only time he will do something about it is if someone runs over another person's kid and a fight ensues, and the whole race goes to shit..!

Paul..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a life!

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, cross with anyone and NO medal..............give them a finish time just not there medal!

tfun~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my mental image of your brawl in the chute is also very entertaining.

fantasy is fun.

beyourownsuperhero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with you, the entourages/shenanigans at the finish line are getting ridiculous... how about an age-graded rule that everyone's age in your party cannot exceed 150 years: this would allow the following combinations...

45 yo racer + 1 parent + 1 child
28 yo racer + 2 parents
65 yo racer + spouse
etc...
although one 40 yo racer + 5 kids would probably pass...which would just circle back to the issue at hand, so scratch that.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop people from crossing the line with entourage in tow.. [AndyJB444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess my sentimental gene has a flaw, I don't really care if there's a rule or not because I don't want an entourage crossing the finish with me anyway. I haven't done an iron distance race (yet) but for my races, when family/friends/my gf mention going I usually say "nah, I'll let you know how it went". I don't really mind if they want to go but I definitely don't want them gathering around me on my way to the finish.

--------------------------------------------------------------
"A bucket...if you haven't puked in it you could be going harder."
- Lazy Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you would run NAS, they would go broke.....

NAS wants people to do it. If they specifically disallowed it, people wouldn't DO their "events' anymore.
NAS knows this. That is why they got so successful.

Since they can't podium in their AG, at least give the suckers the "feel-good" treatment.

To make them actually enforce that rule there would probably first have to be somebody crossing the finish line in his/her birthday suit riding a donkey....
Or an entourage spreading white flour all over the place....
Or....

never mind.

Last edited by: de-tri-mental: Aug 26, 07 20:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You had your four year old cross the finish line with you at an OLYMPIC DISTANCE race? To do so at IM is selfish, but at an Oly it is ridiculous. What's next - people picking up their kids to run across the line at a 5K run?

I understand completely about your kids sharing in your glory - but they can share the glory from the spectator area.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop people from crossing the line with entourage in tow.. [AndyJB444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe they should sell tickets for entourage members to cross the finish line. That way they could cut down on the crowding and make more money at the same time.

&#65532;
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop people from crossing the line with entourage in tow.. [tripoddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wouldn't surprise me...
Quote Reply

Prev Next