Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to make the most of a short lap pool?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I moved into a new building recently that has a short lap pool on the roof. I'm not sure what the exact length is (lifeguards have given me a few different answers), but I think it's somewhere between 15-18 yards. Takes me about 15 seconds to swim one length (@ pace of 1:55/100).

Obviously some big drawbacks to swimming in a pool of this length (namely constant turning), but there are some nice things about it (convenience means that I'll be able to squeeze in swim workouts that my schedule wouldn't otherwise allow and the lanes are typically empty).

I wanted to get some thoughts from you guys on how to make the most of this pool as a new swimmer training for my first HIM next month (StG) and full later this year (IMLP). My current thought is that I can use this pool to get in some technique work, drills, etc. and that I should still probably sign up for a real pool for actual endurance work. But wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: How to make the most of a short lap pool? [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't push off the wall too hard!
Quote Reply
Re: How to make the most of a short lap pool? [Dill-Ag13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dill-Ag13 wrote:
Don't push off the wall too hard!
Haha yep, I definitely need to keep that in mind. Also I think flip turning would help to keep swimming for longer (also a skill I need to learn as a new swimmer)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pool at our gym is some weird length juuuuuuuust short of 25yds; it's almost like a hotel pool

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use these in hotel pools.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/aqua-sphere-stationary-swimmer-5266/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqYfWBRDPARIsABjQRYyGH2C_2Vmscu1nTsOgZ372JjPnFOJlEdBuA9JIJsaRI8nMQKUGTyAaAl2uEALw_wcB

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: How to make the most of a short lap pool? [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/aqua-sphere-stationary-swimmer-5266/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqYfWBRDPARIsABjQRYyGH2C_2Vmscu1nTsOgZ372JjPnFOJlEdBuA9JIJsaRI8nMQKUGTyAaAl2uEALw_wcB
Wow, that's pretty interesting - I didn't know this was a thing. Seems simple and ingenious. Would this be better than actually swimming in this case, though? The pool length is abbreviated, but I feel like still serviceable. Just not sure what compromises using the stationary swimming device causes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JonathanNYC wrote:
trismitty wrote:

Wow, that's pretty interesting - I didn't know this was a thing. Seems simple and ingenious. Would this be better than actually swimming in this case, though? The pool length is abbreviated, but I feel like still serviceable. Just not sure what compromises using the stationary swimming device causes.

It works great, esp if you're not a big kicker in swimming.

There's one HUGE caveat though, and it has nothing to do with messing up your stroke. It's just BORING. Like beyond belief. Trust me on this one - you'll probably use it like 2-3x, and never touch it again afterwards. A treadmill is freaking interesting in comparison.
Last edited by: lightheir: Apr 2, 18 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: How to make the most of a short lap pool? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
JonathanNYC wrote:
trismitty wrote:

There's one HUGE caveat though, and it has nothing to do with messing up your stroke. It's just BORING. Like beyond belief. Trust me on this one - you'll probably use it like 2-3x, and never touch it again afterwards. A treadmill is freaking interesting in comparison.

I agree. The one I had attached as a belt to my waist. I'm not a great swimmer so not sure about messing up my stroke but it certainly felt really weird swimming like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could also get a parachute to swim with.

And do the "no wall touch" swimming - e.g. when you get to the wall, just tap it and pivot around. No push off the wall with hands or feet. Maybe consider swimming the perimeter instead of laps?

(PS...also in NYC and doing IMLP this year)
Last edited by: ninagski: Apr 2, 18 11:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great opportunity to work on sprint speed a couple days a week.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 2, 18 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: How to make the most of a short lap pool? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
JonathanNYC wrote:
trismitty wrote:

Thanks for the tip and the caveat. My youngest child does swim lessons in a 20-yard pool once a week; I have been aqua jogging. If I can bob up and down for 30 minutes, I may be able to swim in place for close to that ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple good ideas so far.
Kick alot. Especially if you have a weak kick (which, we all do), this would give you a chance to kick shorter segments without floundering too much.
Integrating drills and short swim intervals would probably work well. But more than anything, getting into the pool and just swimming more is probably a big boost, and even a short pool is good for that. G'luck -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please see video
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JonathanNYC wrote:
Hi all,
I moved into a new building recently that has a short lap pool on the roof. I'm not sure what the exact length is (lifeguards have given me a few different answers), but I think it's somewhere between 15-18 yards. Takes me about 15 seconds to swim one length (@ pace of 1:55/100).
Obviously some big drawbacks to swimming in a pool of this length (namely constant turning), but there are some nice things about it (convenience means that I'll be able to squeeze in swim workouts that my schedule wouldn't otherwise allow and the lanes are typically empty).
I wanted to get some thoughts from you guys on how to make the most of this pool as a new swimmer training for my first HIM next month (StG) and full later this year (IMLP). My current thought is that I can use this pool to get in some technique work, drills, etc. and that I should still probably sign up for a real pool for actual endurance work. But wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts. Thanks in advance!

First, get a tape measure and MEASURE the pool so that you're not guessing about how far you're swimming. Second, au contraire to several other posters, i'm going to say push hard off the wall just as you would in a normal sized pool. Swim a normal workout with warm-up, kick set, build set, main set, and cool-down. I swam in a 50 ft (16.67 yd) pool for about a year b/c i had no other viable alternative and it did not hurt my swimming at all. I did come to realize thought that, due to the 2 extra turns per 100 yd, i was about 2 sec faster per 100 yd in the shorter pool than in a 25 yd pool, e.g. gaining about 1 sec per turn due to that increase in speed coming off the wall.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: How to make the most of a short lap pool? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree...use it just as you would normally. I regularly swim in 20 yd pool, it’s somewhere around 1 second per 100 faster. It gives you a few extra chances to perfect your turns in a workout.

That said, they also keep it between 88-92 degrees F, so that advantage goes away when I start overheating 1500yds in.
Last edited by: Per: Apr 3, 18 4:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
JonathanNYC wrote:
Hi all,

First, get a tape measure and MEASURE the pool so that you're not guessing about how far you're swimming. Second, au contraire to several other posters, i'm going to say push hard off the wall just as you would in a normal sized pool. Swim a normal workout with warm-up, kick set, build set, main set, and cool-down. I swam in a 50 ft (16.67 yd) pool for about a year b/c i had no other viable alternative and it did not hurt my swimming at all. I did come to realize thought that, due to the 2 extra turns per 100 yd, i was about 2 sec faster per 100 yd in the shorter pool than in a 25 yd pool, e.g. gaining about 1 sec per turn due to that increase in speed coming off the wall.

that's good to hear. I have a community pool in the community I just moved into. I need to measure it to see just how small it is. swimming diagonally gets me a little more distance. It still might be pretty short though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any open water swimming around you to supplement?

You can do long work in that pool, but ouch.

Also consider strength work for swimming muscle groups, rowers, etc for alternatives.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: How to make the most of a short lap pool? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the no-touch approach, I use it in my home pool that is about 11M.

When I work out in my pool, I do some drill sets ( which I don't like much in a full size pool since slow drills seem interminable ), some kick sets, some no-touch sets ( by time, not distance so much, say 5-10 minutes at a time) and then wrap up with some flip-turn laps to get the speedy feeling back.

Another way is to wear a drag suit to slow you down a bit more.

A short pool won't 'hurt' your swimming though, a high-school friend won USA nationals doing most of his training in a 20 yard pool, (wayyyy back in the day, but still....)

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: How to make the most of a short lap pool? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
JonathanNYC wrote:
Hi all,

that's good to hear. I have a community pool in the community I just moved into. I need to measure it to see just how small it is. swimming diagonally gets me a little more distance. It still might be pretty short though.

I think i'd just swim straight myself, too hard to navigate when the wall, or a lane rope, is not straight beside you the whole way.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That pic probably makes the pool look bigger than it is. Even diagonal is pretty short
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same situation here. New building has a pool approx 15m and it will be my primary training ground, as pools and swim time are hard to come by in the city.

The stationary swimmer looks interesting, however I don't think hooking-up contraptions will fly with the pool/gym manager who's always on the prowl...

Decided on a combining a swim parachute with a drag suit to slow things down a bit.

Any one have a recco for a *cheap* finger lap counter? Not interested in paying $70+ for one. Amazon have some cheapies, but they don't specify water proof. At <$10, I'm guessing not likely. Tiring of counting so many laps.

Cheers.

http://www.challengediabetes.ca
http://www.betago.ca
Quote Reply
Re: How to make the most of a short lap pool? [#InsulinPowered] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#InsulinPowered wrote:

Any one have a recco for a *cheap* finger lap counter? Not interested in paying $70+ for one. Amazon have some cheapies, but they don't specify water proof. At <$10, I'm guessing not likely. Tiring of counting so many laps.

Cheers.

The SportCount Finger Lap Counter isn't $10, but not $70, either.

I use the similar stopwatch model every day in the pool. The only waterproofing issue I ever had was when I wasn't careful enough with the seal after replacing the battery. Had to replace that one.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 5, 18 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: How to make the most of a short lap pool? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
You could also get a parachute to swim with.

And do the "no wall touch" swimming - e.g. when you get to the wall, just tap it and pivot around. No push off the wall with hands or feet. Maybe consider swimming the perimeter instead of laps?

(PS...also in NYC and doing IMLP this year)

+1 on the parachute, we use it in masters swimming every once in a while for some resistance training. It slows me down about 30 seconds per hundred at same effort so it would be great in a short pool. It is tough!

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sporti-swim-parachute-8116816/?rec=top_primary

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: How to make the most of a short lap pool? [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
Couple good ideas so far.
Kick alot. Especially if you have a weak kick (which, we all do), this would give you a chance to kick shorter segments without floundering too much.
Integrating drills and short swim intervals would probably work well. But more than anything, getting into the pool and just swimming more is probably a big boost, and even a short pool is good for that. G'luck -J
Excellent. This is what I was thinking too. Thanks!

TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
Any open water swimming around you to supplement?

You can do long work in that pool, but ouch.

Also consider strength work for swimming muscle groups, rowers, etc for alternatives.
Unfortunately not - NYC is tough, especially this time of year (was still snowing yesterday). I'm unfortunately going to be getting my first open water swimming experience in at St. George next month, but am planning on showing up 2 days early and doing two swims in Sand Hollow to get a feel for it.

TriDevilDog wrote:
I like the no-touch approach, I use it in my home pool that is about 11M.

When I work out in my pool, I do some drill sets ( which I don't like much in a full size pool since slow drills seem interminable ), some kick sets, some no-touch sets ( by time, not distance so much, say 5-10 minutes at a time) and then wrap up with some flip-turn laps to get the speedy feeling back.

Another way is to wear a drag suit to slow you down a bit more.

A short pool won't 'hurt' your swimming though, a high-school friend won USA nationals doing most of his training in a 20 yard pool, (wayyyy back in the day, but still....)
Thanks for the info - I appreciate it. What do you mean by a no-touch set? Do you mean just swimming without flip turning?

Good idea on the drag suit and other equipment, guys - hadn't thought about that either. I'll have to look into these. Definitely could get some nice mileage out of them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing folks may be missing ... a hotel condo, or apartment pool might not only be inconveniently short, but you may also find that management isn't always spot on when it comes to maintaining the temperature

If you're the only one, or one of the few people to actually use it, you can expect some pretty wild fluctuations

D'Wife & I went for a swim last night at the gym and even though there was a sign saying the pool temp was 81* and the heater was scheduled for service, it sure as fuck didn't feel that way = brrrrrrrrrr!!!!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply