Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to make carbon fiber wheels
Quote | Reply
If you like to see how things are made, what’s “How it’s made” S19 E13. Shows the hands on, time consuming method to make carbon fiber wheels. Pretty cool.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make carbon fiber wheels [hawkrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found it on daily motion - go to 16:55 mark https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x72304w[/url]

Seems the video is mirrored, but doesn’t affect anything.

Thanks for mentioning/posting this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was cool. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always loved that show!

I also always wanted a pair of the wheels. I can't speak to how aero they are (or were) but they're hella sexy.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make carbon fiber wheels [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool video. Mad fiver was based out of Seattle I think. That wheel set iirc was a carbon clincher sub 1kg and pretty aero for the time.

Having said that they were overwhelmed with failures (some spectacular) and went out of business pretty quick.

Most wheels now I believe are laid up and cured as one unit, with a bladder mould. I find it super concerning that they formed the rim bed, both sides of the rim, spikes and hub parts separately and then sort of glued them altogether afterwards!

Anyways not a CF expert and just going from memory and internet anecdote from 10+ years ago.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hawkrunner wrote:
If you like to see how things are made, what’s “How it’s made” S19 E13. Shows the hands on, time consuming method to make carbon fiber wheels. Pretty cool.

Fun video. Thanks for sharing. Albeit 2 years ago, I reckon this justifies the price over aluminum.
Quote Reply