Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to get into IM Maine 70.3
Quote | Reply
The race is sold out and I don't see a Community Fund option. Does anyone know any other ways to get in to this race?
Quote Reply
Re: How to get into IM Maine 70.3 [runnergod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sold out like three days ago. Why didn't you register? Not trying to be a dick. Honest question.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jul 16, 17 8:19
Quote Reply
Re: How to get into IM Maine 70.3 [runnergod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, love them or hate them, goes to show the crowd size a WTC event draws compared to Rev/Challenge.

I think that race used to get 200-300 people? Now selling out at 2500+? Or did they cap it at a lower number due to the smaller venue (where to put a transition that size??)?
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Jul 16, 17 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: How to get into IM Maine 70.3 [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Wow, love them or hate them, goes to show the crowd size a WTC event draws compared to Rev/Challenge.

I think that race used to get 200-300 people? Now selling out at 2500+? Or did they cap it at a lower number due to the smaller venue (where to put a transition that size??)?

This is no doubt a big part of it, but the race would have gotten a sizable bump from the cancellation of Timberman regardless.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: How to get into IM Maine 70.3 [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The run course, which I assume is the same as it was the last few years, is going to be a complete cluster F with these bigger numbers. Half of it is on an old sandy rail trail that at times equates to a narrow bit of single track. No doubt they will start with the slowest age groups first, so that we can all trip over each other on the point-and-back run course.

I liked the old situation better: Timberman + a comparatively low key, but still competitive race in OOB.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get into IM Maine 70.3 [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
The run course, which I assume is the same as it was the last few years, is going to be a complete cluster F with these bigger numbers. Half of it is on an old sandy rail trail that at times equates to a narrow bit of single track. No doubt they will start with the slowest age groups first, so that we can all trip over each other on the point-and-back run course.

I liked the old situation better: Timberman + a comparatively low key, but still competitive race in OOB.

There is no single track on the eastern trail. It is a standard width rail trial (but I will acquiesce that there may be a section of about 100 meters on the course that has some grass in the middle of two "lanes"). I believe the thing that will be interesting will be the bike...It does not have much climbing, and is a very fast course. With more bikers on there, the drafting has the potential to be quite extensive. I think the thing is to remember that if we want to have a fair race, then we have to race fair (even when we see others racing a little bit less than fair). Be kind with reminders that drafting is not within the allowed rules. You can even start practicing clever ways to remind your fellow racers to be compliant with the race rules; and remember to have fun.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:

They sold out at 2500. It's sad that the M-dot draws so many people vs Rev. It's still a Rev3 race. Same RD, same crew, same everything. Except now it has an M-dot on it instead of a big blue R. And it sells out at 2500 instead of just barely making 800 people between half and oly like in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get into IM Maine 70.3 [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:

They sold out at 2500. It's sad that the M-dot draws so many people vs Rev. It's still a Rev3 race. Same RD, same crew, same everything. Except now it has an M-dot on it instead of a big blue R. And it sells out at 2500 instead of just barely making 800 people between half and oly like in the past.

I guess agree to disagree.. :)
WTC has obviously built a brand that folks like and appreciate.
The only WTC races I've been to are the half and full tremblant races. For Rev/Challenge, I've done Maine and St Andrews.
Both of the Rev/Challenge races were great and both are beautiful locations, but the overall experience is not the same. Maybe I've been spoiled at tremblant, but the banquet, concert, fireworks, kids activities, sheer number of people/volunteers on course, large expo, finish line area, media, etc. Love it or hate it, WTC is on another level IMHO.

Hopefully the much larger numbers at Maine will also result in some nice income for the area.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get into IM Maine 70.3 [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
..... I believe the thing that will be interesting will be the bike...It does not have much climbing, and is a very fast course. With more bikers on there, the drafting has the potential to be quite extensive...
Stephen J

This I agree with. When I did it as a REV3 race a few years ago, the drafting was extensive on that course even with the smaller field. I remember getting passed by what literally looked like team time trials of riders. Didn't see any penalties being handed out either.
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Jul 17, 17 6:29
Quote Reply