Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How to deal with deer flies in the woods and on the trails
Quote | Reply
Anyone who lives in the rural North East of the US knows what I'm on about. Deer flies are the worst! And having moved to a very rural location they are really bad when we run and bike in the woods. With our races canceled this season we are spending more time running/biking on the trails, log roads and the forests around our new remote off-the-grid home. I love it here but am hating these deer flies. Please don't tell me to run or bike faster. They keep up with us on the downhills while on bikes! Nasty sons of bitches!

Any creative solutions? Bug repellents don't work. Anyone try those deer fly patches on Amazon? Anything else?

Oddly enough deer ticks that cause Lyme disease are not common in our area. But the deer flies which are totally different love it here with all the wetlands, ponds and streams.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with deer flies in the woods and on the trails [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have been using this rather than deet, it seems to work well and i'm a real deer fly magnet

https://www.cabelas.com/...uctVariantId=4471863
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with deer flies in the woods and on the trails [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just gotta keep moving and/or wear clothes covering skin, unfortunately. If you are running in a wide open trail with no branches the whole way, bug netting does work very well for head and neck (over a hat.) Picardin bug spray for the exposed skin and outer clothing to slow them down as much as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put permethrin on your clothes. https://sawyer.com/...repellent-treatment/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use these on your hat. This really works. I just used this over the weekend and for the duration of a 9 mile hike, I picked up 23 deer flies on the tape, and not one bit me.

(The image below is not my hat, just one I found on the interwebs)

Deer Fly Tape

Last edited by: g_lev: Jul 9, 20 9:43
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with deer flies in the woods and on the trails [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Use these on your hat. This really works. I just used this over the weekend and for the duration of a 9 mile hike, I picked up 23 deer flies on the tape, and not one bit me.

Deer Fly Tape

that is exactly 50/50 disgusting/awesome........

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with deer flies in the woods and on the trails [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My husband just ordered the deer fly tape. And we'll try the sprays recommended. Thanks! He also saw someone online running with a fake dragon fly attached to their hat since they prey on deer flies. I'm not opposed to trying that and looking completely silly :-)

I also read online that dryer sheets might help. And wearing light clothing is best since they are attracted to dark moving objects.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you said bug spray doesn't work, but I've had good success with DEET based sprays, but have had to make sure it's covering any skin that not moving. They seem to love my bald spot, if I forget to spray my head, I spend the entire hike or paddle slapping myself on top of the head. Top of head, neck, ears and shoulders if I have a sleeveless shirt on. They were biting me through my shirt the other day while stand up paddling, I hadn't sprayed my shirt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:

Deer Fly Tape

Winner winner! We use them and the picture above is MINOR compared to what a 30 minute run in Northern Wisconsin will give you. The strangest thing is the buzzing that will come from them days afterwards. (You can use the strips for several days).

Worth every freakin penny!
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with deer flies in the woods and on the trails [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried various sprays but more natural ones w/o Deet. At this point I am willing to try Deet if it will keep them away. First I'm going to see how the patches/tape work. Hopefully we won't have to wait weeks to receive our shipment. I worry more about our cats then ourselves with the Deet. I could be careful and keep outdoor clothing away from their reach when we spray Deet on ourselves. Maybe keep a special laundry basket outside on the porch.

Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with deer flies in the woods and on the trails [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheaper and maybe more effective alternative: Window Fly Traps. I haven't tried them, just a random google search.

Glad I live some place were the woods are basically free of biting bugs, briars, and other crap...

Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with deer flies in the woods and on the trails [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow the only place I can find these online is now Ebay and the prices are jacked up. But still might be worth it.

Yeah we live in a place that has biting bugs! But we have a low population of people and low covid19 cases here in Vermont. It's always a trade-off. But yes, if you're considering Vermont for post-covid life, the bugs are ferocious. Don't move here ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
Wow the only place I can find these online is now Ebay and the prices are jacked up. But still might be worth it.

Yeah we live in a place that has biting bugs! But we have a low population of people and low covid19 cases here in Vermont. It's always a trade-off. But yes, if you're considering Vermont for post-covid life, the bugs are ferocious. Don't move here ;-)

Maine is just as bad. First it's the black flies. Then mosquitoes. Now deer flies. They're especially bothersome on long, steep, slow bike climbs when it's difficult swat them away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have these in Virginia this time of year. In those areas, I always wear a hat, pre-treated w/a DEET-based spray. I use a milder bug spray on arms and shirt ( Cutter Skinsations). Hat also doubles as a fly-swatter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deep Woods OFF. Yes, it is really strong (25% Deet), but it works. I spray it on my clothes, shoes, socks before I put them on and then shoulders and ankles. I carry a DW OFF wipe with me in case I sweat a lot and need to reapply. Definitely shower as soon as you can to get it off and don't use on kids. Too strong for them.
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with deer flies in the woods and on the trails [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
g_lev wrote:

Deer Fly Tape

that is exactly 50/50 disgusting/awesome........

Exactly! Gross, but cool.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you, deer flies are miserable. I used to run with my lab and he would have a swarm hovering and attacking him. I'm from across the river in NH and many of my friends have used duck tape folded back onto itself and I have one friend who swears by double-sided duck tape. I'm not a big fan of bug sprays, but they do seem to help.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with deer flies in the woods and on the trails [konaboysteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I camped in Baxter State Park, Maine in late June. I'm not sure which was worse, the blackflies, mosquitoes, or the bear that chased us out of our tent. The DEET works on the first two but not the bears.

To be fair to the rangers, they did put us up in a nice little cabin after the bear incident. It rained for two days steady and we read every book in the cabin - winning!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid damn deer flies... they make me look like I'm running down the road with a spastic palsy, slapping myself silly. But I still do it, too mamy great runs around me on the back/dirt roads not to. And I always get lit up two or three times each runs (I do usually kill 6-8 of the little bastids though!).

But, I won't run trail. Not anymore, at least not in my town: practically got picked up and carried away one day, and we only did about 3, 4 miles in the woods. Killed over 20 that day, missed at least that many, maybe twice. Sometimes you just gotta avoid certain areas at certain times.

I don't wear spray when I run, more so because I never remember it (or sunscreen...). Either toughen up or soak yourself down...

Now I'm itchy...
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with deer flies in the woods and on the trails [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The long slow climbs out on gravel roads and were they for me. It was 98 degrees. I had nothing on me to sprint climb away from them. Awful.

Quote | Reply
I live in NH and everyone is talking about them this year. I do my runs along more major paved roads to avoid them, if you ride or run a dirt road you will get chewed. I think its like a 6 to 8 week season for them and we have got to be at least half way now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deer flies are the worst. I have to spray myself from head to toes, clothes and all. Otherwise they bite right through bike shorts, jersey, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with deer flies in the woods and on the trails [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prefersdirt wrote:
g_lev wrote:

Deer Fly Tape

Winner winner! We use them and the picture above is MINOR compared to what a 30 minute run in Northern Wisconsin will give you. The strangest thing is the buzzing that will come from them days afterwards. (You can use the strips for several days).

Worth every freakin penny!

Just after I posted this, my wife went for a 6 mile trail run. She put a fresh tape on her hat and came back with at least 100 (if not a lot more) stuck to the tape. Completely covered every available sticky spot on the tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train almost exclusively indoors during deer fly season. I’ve been out on trails on long runs far far from shelter or help and have almost lost my mind due to deer flies. It’s honestly too mentally hard to keep doing that. Even slowing down on a ride can be tough. They get up into my helmet and easily bite through cycling clothing.
I’m not interested in dousing myself in chemicals. I’ve attached imitation dragon flies to my hat but that didn’t provide enough relief. That’s one creature that I’d be happy to see become extinct. Never tried the tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a little heads up on another biting fly you may encounter in the north east. If Vermont is like the Adirondacks, you'll see the deer flies numbers begin to reduce by mid August but about the same time stable flies will begin to surge. Stable flies look pretty much identical to common house flies and have the nasty habit of biting your ankles after stealthily landing. You won't likely notice until their painful bite. If you canoe or kayak dozens of these tormentors will land in the boat and take turns biting your feet, ankles, and even more tender parts through thin clothing like bathing suits. They don't swarm your head like deer flies but seem to bite way more quickly and stealthily.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply

Prev Next