Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How to charge a completely internal DI2 Setup?
Quote | Reply
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or solutions people may have.
I know some people have a similar setup to me and I have searched the forums and learned a few things but still did not find the exact question to my answer.

I recently had my local bike shop upgrade my Cervelo P5-6 from a SRAM red groupset to 9070 Durace DI2. My bike shop did a great job and I now have a fully functioning electronic shifting setup. They even did a great job hiding all the wires and placed all junction boxes and wires internally, there is almost nothing exposed to the wind. However they placed my Junction A box that is required to charge the DI2 system and check the battery level inside the headset. The only way to access it is to partially remove the aerobars and waterbottle mount to open up the topcap and pull out the Junction box to charge or check the battery. This requires a bit of work and could potentially change the position of my aerobar pads.

My question is: Is there any easy way I can charge the system with the junction A box still internal and not having to dismantle my aerobars to gain access to the junction box?

1) My ideal solution: Is there any extension cable that I can buy or make for the shimano junction A box that I can plug into the charging port of junction box A and run through the small hole in the headset to the outside of the frame? (This way just a small charging port from the extension cable would peak out and I could still charge the system and have full access to the shimano etube customization, upgrade and diagnostic features)

2) Alternate solution: I did read that the system can be charge by making a modification to the charge cable and instead of having the cable that plugs into junction A modifying it by soldering a EW-SD50 etube wire to the charge cable and unplugging the etube wire from one of the derailleurs and plugging the modified charge cable to the derailleur and charging.(however this would compromise the etube customization and diagnostic features)
a) If this can be done, does anyone have any advice on how to modify the charger? I am not great with stuff like this.
b) Alternatively, can I buy a extra junction box A and E-tube wire, plug that into one of the derailleurs and then plug the charger into the extra junction box A port and charge the system?
c)If the trick with the extra junction box A works, would I be able to also check the battery level using the extra junction box that is temporarily plugged into the derailleur?
d) Last question, would frequently unplugging and plugging the etube wire from a derailleur cause any long term damage or problems?

I appreciate any thoughts on this
Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: How to charge a completely internal DI2 Setup? [surftrunks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. My first thought is to ask the bike shop what the heck you're supposed to do. I'm guessing they had a plan.

It's not very often that you'll have to charge the battery, although I'm anal and do it before every race. I think that's the only time I check the battery level by holding a button down.

If you're regularly unplugging and reinserting the etube wire I would think it would wear just like anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. In fact its pretty easy. I did it on my build.

see post 359 http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#5525651
Quote Reply
Re: How to charge a completely internal DI2 Setup? [Team_Doc28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeamDoc, your post definitely is a good solution and lets me know that I do have alternate options. I'm trying to think outside of the box and come up with a perfect solution that minimizes damaging my original equipment and still allows me to charge without accessing the Junction A box. See the followup questions and thoughts below. I know very little about wiring or setting up a di2 system so I am asking for advice from the forum. I also don't have much experience with soldering wires so I would like to avoid that if possible.

1. Instead of using the SM-JC41 internal junction box as the extra splitter and have to hack the charger. Could I use a extra SM-EW90 Junction box A the same way and just plug the charger into the charge port without cutting the charger? (I guess the question is can the di2 system handle two Junction box A's being attached to it or am I forced to use a junction box B instead.)
2. Does a male/female extension cord the plugs into the SM-EW90 Junction box A charging port exist?
3. If I am forced to use the SM-JC41 like TeamDoc suggests I would have to cut the Charge cable and solder a extra EW-SD50 wire to the cut end. Instead of throwing away the piece that was cut off that plugs into the charge port could I solder a EW-SD50 to that piece and leave it plugged into the charge port and have the other end that has a EW-SD50 wire soldered to it snake out of the frame and i could then plug that into the extra SM-JC41 box and charge the system. (I hope this makes sense. this way I would only have the small EW-SD50 wire outside of the frame and I would not have to unplug and plug the derailleur cable each time to charge)

Anyone else have any advice?

Max Daddy, my LBS's plan was that I take apart the aerobar each time to charge it or pull the battery out of the seatpost to charge it (i dont think you can charge from the battery with the internal battery). I'm not really happy with these options and that's why I am looking for a alternate way to charge.

Thanks guys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surftrunks wrote:
TeamDoc, your post definitely is a good solution and lets me know that I do have alternate options. I'm trying to think outside of the box and come up with a perfect solution that minimizes damaging my original equipment and still allows me to charge without accessing the Junction A box. See the followup questions and thoughts below. I know very little about wiring or setting up a di2 system so I am asking for advice from the forum. I also don't have much experience with soldering wires so I would like to avoid that if possible.

1. Instead of using the SM-JC41 internal junction box as the extra splitter and have to hack the charger. Could I use a extra SM-EW90 Junction box A the same way and just plug the charger into the charge port without cutting the charger? (I guess the question is can the di2 system handle two Junction box A's being attached to it or am I forced to use a junction box B instead.)
2. Does a male/female extension cord the plugs into the SM-EW90 Junction box A charging port exist?
3. If I am forced to use the SM-JC41 like TeamDoc suggests I would have to cut the Charge cable and solder a extra EW-SD50 wire to the cut end. Instead of throwing away the piece that was cut off that plugs into the charge port could I solder a EW-SD50 to that piece and leave it plugged into the charge port and have the other end that has a EW-SD50 wire soldered to it snake out of the frame and i could then plug that into the extra SM-JC41 box and charge the system. (I hope this makes sense. this way I would only have the small EW-SD50 wire outside of the frame and I would not have to unplug and plug the derailleur cable each time to charge)

Anyone else have any advice?

Max Daddy, my LBS's plan was that I take apart the aerobar each time to charge it or pull the battery out of the seatpost to charge it (i dont think you can charge from the battery with the internal battery). I'm not really happy with these options and that's why I am looking for a alternate way to charge.

Thanks guys

I don't have to remove by aero bars to get at the junction box in my P5's headset...didn't realize what a lucky break that is. Grrr to DI2.

Could you just take the battery out of the BB and charge it on a standalone charging unit? It's still work, but not fit related at all.
Quote Reply
Re: How to charge a completely internal DI2 Setup? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My setup is a little different from the stock setup. I have a internal seatpost battery, not the one in the bottom bracket and my junction box is completely hidden in the headset which requires the aerobar pads to be removed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, did it on mine. All you need is a second A junction with an extra cable and just plug the rear mech into it. You'll need to index via the etubes software as the button doesn't function, but the rest is fine.
Quote Reply
Re: How to charge a completely internal DI2 Setup? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Grill,
Sorry I have so many questions, I don't know much about all this stuff and I have not used the Etube software yet.
So you did not need to cut and solder your charging cable at all? just plug the charging cable into the extra Junction A and plug that into the rear derailleur? (thats exactly what I was hoping I could do)
did you plug the wire that was unplugged from the derailleur into the extra junction box A to make a complete circuit? (if you do this, is the etubes software fully functional also?)
I'm not sure what you mean by index via the etubes software, can you explain? (you mean when tuning the derailleur?) (you can hit a button on the etubes software to adjust your derailleur instead of using the button on the junction box?)
If you do it this way can you check the battery level with the extra junction box A also?
Thanks
Daniel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need to cut/solder anything.
Yes, remove the cable from your rear mech, plug it into the A junction and plug another wire from the A junction to the rear mech.
Indexing is micro adjusting the rear mech so it shifts smoothly. Normally this is accessed by holding the button down on the A junction and using the shifters to set position but in this case you'll have to do it via the software (super easy).
Not sure about battery level. I think it may show on the etubes software but don't remember. SHouldn't matter much as the minute you plug it in it will start charging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Grill,
This is the exact answer I was looking for. I'm going to see if I can find a good price on a Junction A box now.
Last two question I hope
1. Have you noticed any wearing down or damage of the wires or derailleur from unplugging and plugging the wire in and out frequently?
2. What would Happen if you unplug the derailleur wire and plug into the junction A box with the charger and not use the extra wire to complete the circuit? (would u still be able to charge the system, but the etube diagnostics would not fully work?) ( I would like to minimize too much unplugging and plugging in on the derailleur)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. No
2. I have no idea. I imagine it will still charge but there's no way to tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone.
I think I got all my answers, I'll look for the parts I need and will post again if anything else comes up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you experience this approach by ruined by firmware updates?
The information in this thread would suggest it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why not just go with 2 Bs and one A? use one or 2 Bs at bars, depending on if 2 or 4 shift points and either a 3port&B or 5port at BB? assuming you can access it at BB for charging easier than pulling apart bars

I don't know if this would work, just inquiring. I probably ought to change mine to charge at BB since I have to take a bunch of parts off at bars to access now in the aduro as is
Quote Reply
Re: How to charge a completely internal DI2 Setup? [Tri_Dane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe it was. I've moved the A junction under the saddle and just added an extra B to get the length.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, instead of all the complicated stuff mentioned, I did a fairly straight forward hack. I obtained a male and female 5v charging plug from normal bit of electronic equipment. I cut the Di2 charging cable and on the one side, soldered the Di2 plug to the female 5V charging port. Plugged this into the A junction box and located the charging port in the "cable gap" provided on my P5. On the other side I matched the cables up and joined the male side of the charging port to the Shimano charger. It works like a bomb.....I used a hole plugger from my bike spares to create a waterproof cover on the female charging port. Hope this helps, easy, takes about 10 minutes.
Last edited by: longold: Apr 3, 17 3:26
Quote Reply
Re: How to charge a completely internal DI2 Setup? [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i cant see the link you provided. interested in what you did
Quote Reply
Re: How to charge a completely internal DI2 Setup? [natataka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"built up a TT bike 3 years ago and stashed the A junction in the frame. Here is what I did for charging purposes. Take your charger and cut off the end of the wire that plugs into the charging port on the A junction. Now get another di2 e tube wire and an internal 4 port junction box (the part name escapes me at the moment but I am sure you know what I am talking about. let me know if not) Now cut the extra di2 wire in half. Take one half and solder that to the battery charger, go visit your local hobby shop if you need help, they will solder it for stupid cheap probably.
Now you have a di2 charger with a di2 tube end on it instead of the little prong end that would usually go into the A junction. Take new charger and junction box, unplug your rear derailleur, plug the RD di2 cable into the new junction box, charger plugged into the junction box and now your battery is charging.

There was no good way to check the battery level very easy with this route, so I would just make sure I would charge it once a month and made sure I had the indexing really good before I buried the A junction!"

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...s_P6242355/#p6242355

I have one that works great that I don't need anymore that is already soldered up and good to go that I would sell for $100 if you are interested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surftrunks wrote:

This is what I would do. Just buy an extra Junction A box, disconnect the front or rear derailleur and plug the Junction A box to the disconnected wire and then connect your charger to that junction A box. It should work fine but it's easy enough to test before you buy the extra box.
Quote Reply
Re: How to charge a completely internal DI2 Setup? [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
surftrunks wrote:

This is what I would do. Just buy an extra Junction A box, disconnect the front or rear derailleur and plug the Junction A box to the disconnected wire and then connect your charger to that junction A box. It should work fine but it's easy enough to test before you buy the extra box.

This doesn't work. Somewhere along the line, Shimano firmware updates eliminated this option. Only one Junction A allowed per Di2 system.
Quote Reply
Re: How to charge a completely internal DI2 Setup? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kicking this thread off again.

What is the most straightforward way to charge and all internal Di2 setup?

FYI - I have a PD Aeria Ultimate Stem/Bar setup with an internal battery in the seatpost. I don't want to have to open the stem up each time i need to charge and would rather go via the rear derailleur or direct to the battery via the seatpost.
Quote Reply
Re: How to charge a completely internal DI2 Setup? [jimmyh49aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump, hoping there is a new solution out there..
Quote Reply
Re: How to charge a completely internal DI2 Setup? [jimmyh49aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this any good?

https://bike.shimano.com/...50-di2/EW-RS910.html

===
iSMARTtrain - Mac training software for Garmin, SRM, PowerTap & Polar
http://www.ismarttrain.com
Quote Reply
Re: How to charge a completely internal DI2 Setup? [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto above. I use the EW-RS910 in my extension. The other option could be to connect a short USB extension cable to your current Junction A and route the cable to a convenient and discrete location. Then, connect your charger to that USB cable on the bike.

Quote Reply
Re: How to charge a completely internal DI2 Setup? [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My solution: buy a second hand Junction A and cable ($80ish all in), remove the seatpost/battery and charge the battery independent from the Di2 system (connect the battery to the second hand junction box > junction box to charging unit > charging unit to wall outlet).

Not ideal, but it beats the hell out of opening up the stem each time. I'm kind of flying blind (as we all are) on the current charge. Given that I do 90% of my riding on the trainer, it's not a huge concern and I make sure to charge the battery before a big outdoor ride or any race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next