Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to best sync Garmin, TrainerRoad, and Strava
Quote | Reply
I'm new to Strava and want to find the best way to sync the three.

How do you set up syncing so that all workout are captured and all localized metrics are retained?

I use a garmin 935 for running and swimming. Until this week it was also my bike computer but my 530 arrived so that'll be used on outdoor rides going forward.

When I say "localized metrics", I'm referring to things like recommended rest, training load, and VO2 max on the Garmin 935, for example. If I record indoor rides on TrainerRoad and sync the ride to Garmin Connect, will these metrics be calculated exactly the same way as if the ride was recorded on the Garmin device directly?

Is there a way to sync these three so that no workouts are duplicated and every workout is captured in all three accounts?

If I sync TR to Garmin, Garmin to TR/Strava, is that the best way? Will TR workouts be forwarded to TR via Garmin?

Also, is there a way for Garmin recorded swim and run workouts to sync to TR? Right now I just check the box that I completed those workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: How to best sync Garmin, TrainerRoad, and Strava [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
I'm new to Strava and want to find the best way to sync the three.

When I say "localized metrics", I'm referring to things like recommended rest, training load, and VO2 max on the Garmin 935, for example. If I record indoor rides on TrainerRoad and sync the ride to Garmin Connect, will these metrics be calculated exactly the same way as if the ride was recorded on the Garmin device directly?

Is there a way to sync these three so that no workouts are duplicated and every workout is captured in all three accounts?

If I sync TR to Garmin, Garmin to TR/Strava, is that the best way? Will TR workouts be forwarded to TR via Garmin?

Also, is there a way for Garmin recorded swim and run workouts to sync to TR? Right now I just check the box that I completed those workouts.

1. Garmin calculates the metrics on saving an activity. While you can import events later into GC, metrics will not be calculated for these events.

2. I sync Garmin Connect to Strava, and record both indoor and outdoor rides on Garmin. I have a one-way sync from GC to TR (so outside rides go to TR, but not from TR to GC). I use TR on my phone to control the trainer, and Garmin to just passively record indoor rides. Strava should discard duplicates, but timing differences between devices means it doesn't always pick this up. So I don't have TR connected at all with Strava.

3. No. You have to manually enter the details of run and swim workouts into TR. TR say they are working on automating this, but from TR's discussion boards it seems they are some months at best from enabling this.
Last edited by: mcalista: Aug 29, 20 1:23
Quote Reply
Re: How to best sync Garmin, TrainerRoad, and Strava [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcalista wrote:
2. I sync Garmin Connect to Strava, and record both indoor and outdoor rides on Garmin. I have a one-way sync from GC to TR (so outside rides go to TR, but not from TR to GC). I use TR on my phone to control the trainer, and Garmin to just passively record indoor rides.

Thanks, this is very helpful! It's too bad that Garmin doesn't update metriccs using imported data.

Regarding #2, given that you sync GC to TR and record indoor rides in GC, do you end up with duplicate indoor rides in TR?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest that you don't sync trainer road to garmin connect. Instead use trainer road to control your workout and your 530 in indoor activity mode to record it and upload it to connect. Then let garmin connect sync it to Strava.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since TR introduced pushing workouts to your head unit to do TR structured rides outdoors, it has been some time since I actually used the trainer, but my recollection is that it did not duplicate.
Quote Reply
Re: How to best sync Garmin, TrainerRoad, and Strava [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I do, one caveat is that you need to remember to push the lap button, if you want it segemented in garmin connect
Quote Reply