Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to Get Underwater Camera to Stand Up?
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer that I'm pretty incompetent, mechanically speaking. Would love advice from somebody with decent engineering sense--

I'm trying to get some good underwater video of myself swimming and bought a CamPark 4K Action Camera. The camera isn't fancy, but was well priced and the quality of the footage is generally fine.

The problem is I can't get the camera to stand up on the bottom of the pool. It comes with a dozen mounts and attachments for various uses. But it's top-heavy, so even the gentlest underwater current knocks it over. I'm wondering if I should try to attach the case to a brick or something like that?
Quote Reply
Re: How to Get Underwater Camera to Stand Up? [MadPansy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can epoxy a mount to a heavy object (small jar is fine, doesn't need to be as unwieldy as a brick). Make sure the object is heavy enough or grippy enough that current don't cause it to shift/rotate. The mount also allows you to tilt the camera up for certain shots.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does your pool's edge have a lip? If so, you can get a clamp with a GoPro mount. It'll only be a foot deep at most, but I've found that's all you need for underwater filming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadPansy wrote:
Disclaimer that I'm pretty incompetent, mechanically speaking. Would love advice from somebody with decent engineering sense--

I'm trying to get some good underwater video of myself swimming and bought a CamPark 4K Action Camera. The camera isn't fancy, but was well priced and the quality of the footage is generally fine.

The problem is I can't get the camera to stand up on the bottom of the pool. It comes with a dozen mounts and attachments for various uses. But it's top-heavy, so even the gentlest underwater current knocks it over. I'm wondering if I should try to attach the case to a brick or something like that?

Handlebar / tube GoPro mount and a hex sided dumbbell.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wound up with a knockoff version of this...can't even remember where I got it, I think it came in a camera bag I bought at a garage sale. It looks cheap and useless, but it's got to be one of the more ingenious items I have in my camera arsenal.

It's not something I'd do studio work with, but eery time I use it, I find a new way for it to be the only tool that'll get the job done.

Not sure if it's negatively buoyant or not, you might have to weight it a bit, but trust me, it's amazing.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/joby-gorillapod-500-action-tripod-black-charcoal/6282524.p?skuId=6282524&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=407&ref=212&loc=DWA&ds_rl=1260402&gclid=CjwKCAjwwab7BRBAEiwAapqpTKpJkv_HsDRliIi6zxekFeRVGfucngcIsGoXi4dOm0X9tXuERv9_NBoC8bsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply