Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How to Explain Triathlon to Non-Athletes?
Quote | Reply
I've been a runner my whole life, have been competing triathlon for the last three years.

Just did my first 70.3 and loved it--am already signed up for my first 140.6.

In my experience, regular people sort of "get" short-course triathlon, even running a marathon. Most people have done something like this at least once or are close to somebody who has. But once you talk about races that take 5 or 10 hours, you get a new kind of glassy-eyed stare.

I usually lead with a self-effacing joke. "This is how I quiet the voices in my head." If somebody really wants to discuss, I talk about how it makes me feel, the meditative qualities of a really long swim/bike/run, the community of friends I've built in the sport.

But I think people still walk away saying: "That guy is insane."

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: How to Explain Triathlon to Non-Athletes? [scottmccue12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are right. I would do the same...
Adults bragging about what they do on their leisure time are boring :-p.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you *want* their thought to be as they walk away?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have stopped worrying about what people I don't know think about when it comes to this kind of thing.If people are interested then open up to them but if they aren't and can't relate then no big deal.

I was part of the Ultra Triathlon community some 25 years ago when very few people did stupid stuff like that but now for the people I know, all that sort of stuff is so common I can't go a week without discovering some new nutcase that is doing something stupidly out of the box.I'm interested to know where you are from as here in Oz I would be surprised to find anyone who wasn't aware of Ironman or Ultra runs or weird ass explorer/adventure shit.Hell we just had this reality show about a few sporting celebrities training for Roth on the TV for its second season.

The Maxing Out Facebook page for info and clips on the show.
https://www.facebook.com/...170461200&ref=bf
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Dec 15, 19 5:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mostly don’t try to explain unless they ask. Sometimes they’ll ask and say things like “so there are breaks during a race that long, right?”
Often a similar response when gravel biking comes up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try my best to not reveal my enthusiasm for long distance triathlon to non athletes as it makes you harder to relate to. They’ll see you as a freak and non athletes then feel bad for being so sedentary. If you don’t want non athletes to feel bad about themselves don’t talk about your triathlon races.

I treat my racing habits kind of like a secret retardation that I have. If people ask what I do for fun, I’d say run when the weathers nice and ride my bike; trying to make it sound as casual as possible. If the other person says they’re a competitive runner or into endurance sports, then that is my ticket to open up if I so wish.

Non-athletes couldn’t care less about my races and training, so I keep that only to myself or to other athletes.
Last edited by: Rest: Dec 15, 19 6:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I let them think I’m a little bonkers. Nobody is harmed in the training for these races. Happy tri-ing!
Quote Reply
Re: How to Explain Triathlon to Non-Athletes? [YoMoGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talking about triathlon with non-athletes is boring AF for me and them. I try to avoid it at all costs along with social media posts about training, races, diet, etc. Even if they ask about it they're usually glassy eyed within seconds. It's just a waste of time as non-athletes don't care and are more likely to judge you if you give very much detail about the lifestyle, because it's the opposite of their lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And it only gets better when the topic of going to the bathroom comes up! After I told some coworkers that many pee themselves (myself included) during a race I got some Depends as a gift prior to a race! 😁

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first did triathlon it was because it was a fun way to have a goal in training and keeping fit as middle age took hold.
Then as a milestone event the Ironman distance became a goal. I failed to finish that first one, and in doing so I realized it was as much mental as physical.
Because 15 minutes after quitting I knew I could have finished and knew I had to do it again.

Then it became an experiment to see how far you could push it.
Now, if asked, I talk about the change in attitude that AG racing has brought to the process of aging.

It's all a big experiment really and I'm the experiment. And that's what I tell people.
Welcome to the experiment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t, unless I get asked specifically. But I’ll post a couple of pictures on social media of race day and put up a link to a race report if anyone is so inclined, and if I do a report. Training and any conversations about that are pretty much confined to Strava.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Explain Triathlon to Non-Athletes? [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yes - too many in the IRONMAN crowd and vets like to go on and on and on and on about it all then shift quickly to how hard and challenging it all is - crazy long training sessions, the barfing, the chafing, the peeing on yourself etc . ..

They are completely oblivious to the fact that the non-triathlete's eyes have glazed over long ago and on and on they go about it all. This is not SELLING the sport of triathlon very well at all to non-participants. Pro-Tip . . . it's TURNING THEM OFF!

I was encouraged two years ago when I Emceed an event for the Toronto Triathlon Festival with Simon Whitfield, that was geared completely towards new triathletes. We had over 100 people at the event the vast majority who had never done a triathlon race before. In the 90 min session, the word "ironman" never came up! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: How to Explain Triathlon to Non-Athletes? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a couple friends who have shown a genuine interest, and I will take the time to answer their questions. They all have a passing interest in one of the sports. Maybe they do the odd fun run or tough mudder, or swim 500y a week. Honestly, these are the most dangerous people, because they will bring up the topic in mixed company.

They say something like, "Tom does ironmans!" which I do not (short course only). Then it becomes this awkward... "well, no actually...1/4 ironman. " while I can see no one cares and I try and steer the conversation in ANY other direction. Happened just last week while on a business trip. Ugh.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Explain Triathlon to Non-Athletes? [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
They are right. I would do the same...

Louis :-)

this..

tell them to google it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YoMoGo wrote:
Nobody is harmed in the training for these races. Happy tri-ing!

Idk bro - a lot of people get badly hurt on the bike from outdoor training — it def makes me nervous...

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: How to Explain Triathlon to Non-Athletes? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was riffing on “No animals were harmed in the making of this production” and much more meant that few if any non-athletes are harmed by triathletes out there or inside doing their training. More like a to each their own than a declaration. And no offense taken- not a bro here :). A gal letting her 5yo watch The Wild Kratts on an iPad while I do a bunch of admin in between making five trillion mini pancakes. Had to use up the buttermilk. Happy Sunday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"Oh, you're training for a triathlon? I'm so intrigued. Please explain triathlon to me."

- said no one ever
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glassy eyed stare is given at my work for half IM finishers over 5 hours and plus ten for full
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best thing to do is wear all your finishers medals at the same time to work to help start the conversation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think this has to be very complicated - like any hobby, I avoid getting into the details unless the person/people asking are genuinely interested. I don’t mind if people think it’s crazy or don’t understand it but I try to relate it to other hobbies and that it really comes down to what you enjoy and makes you happy.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Explain Triathlon to Non-Athletes? [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
Best thing to do is wear all your finishers medals at the same time to work to help start the conversation.

Or put some stickers on your car, thats always a conversation starter.
Last edited by: triathlete37: Dec 15, 19 16:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to understand. Do you race for yourself or for others? What do you want/expect? Perhaps you have the wrong outlook on endurance sports.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scottmccue12 wrote:
I've been a runner my whole life, have been competing triathlon for the last three years.

Just did my first 70.3 and loved it--am already signed up for my first 140.6.

In my experience, regular people sort of "get" short-course triathlon, even running a marathon. Most people have done something like this at least once or are close to somebody who has. But once you talk about races that take 5 or 10 hours, you get a new kind of glassy-eyed stare.

I usually lead with a self-effacing joke. "This is how I quiet the voices in my head." If somebody really wants to discuss, I talk about how it makes me feel, the meditative qualities of a really long swim/bike/run, the community of friends I've built in the sport.

But I think people still walk away saying: "That guy is insane."

Any thoughts?

The best way to talk to them is to say "Oh you didn't know, I'm an Ironman!!!" That will surely impress them. If that doesn't then flash the M Dot tat...game changer there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol ok

I love mini pancakes. I could probably eat 1-2 million of them. Real maple syrup is a must... :P

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: How to Explain Triathlon to Non-Athletes? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I make really good pancakes. Good thing since madame kindergarten ate only that today. With syrup. Real syrup. Totally agree.
Quote Reply

Prev Next