Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How soon after Ironman would you get a flu shot?
Quote | Reply
I finished IM MD five days ago, and today my company is offering free flu shots at work (no need for insurance paperwork, I just need walk into the conference room, sign a waiver, get the shot and be back at my desk in five minutes). I could certainly wait a few days and get the flu shot at a pharmacy, but it would be much more convenient to get it done today, though I'm wondering if I should give my body a little bit more recovery time? Any thoughts/insights would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: How soon after Ironman would you get a flu shot? [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The flu shot contains inactivated (dead) virus. There should be no risk to you. The concept that endurance exercise inhibits your immune system isn't as strong as it once was. Get the flu shot.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/.../04/180420122807.htm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC5911985/

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How soon after Ironman would you get a flu shot? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I have gotten sick after long races before, and have attributed it to some sort of depressed immune response due to the race, I could very easily be convinced that I got the cold from a volunteer who had a cold handing me a cup.

That said, I have never gotten a flu shot before and NOT experienced some sort of "ugh" feeling for a couple of days after. So while I wouldn't get a flu shot right before an important race, I don't see why doing it afterwards is really any problem.
Quote Reply
Re: How soon after Ironman would you get a flu shot? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got this yrs vaccine on Monday and had no adverse reactions.
Quote Reply
Re: How soon after Ironman would you get a flu shot? [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Given that last years was less than 50 percent effective why even bother?
Quote Reply
Re: How soon after Ironman would you get a flu shot? [TED4289] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too used to laugh at the flu shot. But after multiple bouts in 2018 and one in 2019, I’ll for sure take 50% over nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TED4289 wrote:

50% is better than 0% (which is the protection provided when not receiving the shot), isn't it? Since, for most people, the shot is covered by insurance, why not take the preventative step?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TED4289 wrote:
Same reason you get any vaccine. Lowers the risk of illness with all the associated benefits for society.
Quote Reply
Re: How soon after Ironman would you get a flu shot? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personal opinion. That's all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TED4289 wrote:
Personal opinion. That's all.

No problem. We're just here to make sure your personal opinion gets properly smacked down with some evidence-based reasoning. :)
Last edited by: trail: Oct 4, 19 6:49
Quote Reply
Re: How soon after Ironman would you get a flu shot? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Bravo. Yes, it's quite the smackdown. Lmao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To answer the original question..."never". 50% is being way too generous. From the CDC website, last year's stats:

Age Number % Total 6 months-8 years 2434 24 9-17 years 1265 13 18-49 years 3266 32 50-64 years 1772 18 65+ years 1304 13
Quote Reply
Re: How soon after Ironman would you get a flu shot? [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you get a cancer vaccine if it was 50 percent effective? And had no side effects?
Quote Reply
Re: How soon after Ironman would you get a flu shot? [sixironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh goody, this will be fun! Short answer is 'maybe'. However, they have yet to introduce a vaccine with no side effects. Let's look at the flu vaccine for example (this is from Johns Hopkins, not me making this up):

soreness
redness
swelling
headache
syncope (fainting)
fever over 101*
hives
swelling
trouble breathing
arrythmia
weakness
Guillian-Barre syndrome
Lymphadenopathy
Vertigo
Conjuntivitis
eye pain
chest pain
anaphylactic shock
abscess
convulsions
facial palsy
myelitis
dyspnea
and the fun one...death. A quick search on VAERS shows 491 deaths from flu shots.

Again, if they can make a vaccine with no side effects, I'd consider it. However I'm not holding my breath.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a flu shot at Costco on Tuesday. The injection didn't hurt at all and no soreness or side effects after.
Quote Reply
Re: How soon after Ironman would you get a flu shot? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I got a flu shot at Costco on Tuesday. The injection didn't hurt at all and no soreness or side effects after.

I got my at an annual checkup on Tuesday. Didn't feel the needle, no side effects at all. In my 20's I had the flu a few times and it felt like I was going to die. Anything I can do to reduce the risk 30 years later, I'll take it.

And my parents are nearing 80, and the last thing I want to do is catch the flu and give it to them. Cut that risk by 50%? I'll take it.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattyboy wrote:
Oh goody, this will be fun! Short answer is 'maybe'. However, they have yet to introduce a vaccine with no side effects. Let's look at the flu vaccine for example (this is from Johns Hopkins, not me making this up):

soreness
redness
swelling
headache
syncope (fainting)
fever over 101*
hives
swelling
trouble breathing
arrythmia
weakness
Guillian-Barre syndrome
Lymphadenopathy
Vertigo
Conjuntivitis
eye pain
chest pain
anaphylactic shock
abscess
convulsions
facial palsy
myelitis
dyspnea
and the fun one...death. A quick search on VAERS shows 491 deaths from flu shots.

Again, if they can make a vaccine with no side effects, I'd consider it. However I'm not holding my breath.

You realize some of those side effects apply to ANYTHING you orally ingest, right? And the incidence of most of them is super low.

Since you're good with pulling up numbers too, why don't you post the annual deaths from flu itself?
Quote Reply
Re: How soon after Ironman would you get a flu shot? [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
mattyboy wrote:

soreness
redness
swelling
headache
syncope (fainting)
fever over 101*
hives
swelling
trouble breathing
arrythmia
weakness
Guillian-Barre syndrome
Lymphadenopathy
Vertigo
Conjuntivitis
eye pain
chest pain
anaphylactic shock
abscess
convulsions
facial palsy
myelitis
dyspnea

You realize some of those side effects apply to ANYTHING you orally ingest, right? And the incidence of most of them is super low.

Since you're good with pulling up numbers too, why don't you post the annual deaths from flu itself?

...because being antivax doesn't mix well with rationale.

From the CDC:
Quote:
CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9.3 million – 49.0 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 960,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 79,000 deaths annually since 2010.
https://www.cdc.gov/...ut/burden/index.html

Yeah, I'd take a shot to give me a ~40% chance to avoid that, than risk the minute chance of that admittedly scary list of possible complications.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iron Dukie wrote:
I finished IM MD five days ago, and today my company is offering free flu shots at work (no need for insurance paperwork, I just need walk into the conference room, sign a waiver, get the shot and be back at my desk in five minutes). I could certainly wait a few days and get the flu shot at a pharmacy, but it would be much more convenient to get it done today, though I'm wondering if I should give my body a little bit more recovery time? Any thoughts/insights would be appreciated.

You are over-thinking it, just get a flu shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because 50 percent is greater than 0 percent. I hope you don’t use the same logic for training wattages and the like...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s because America/the world is she happy and everything needs to be listed even comically so. An easy workout has just as many possible side effects.
Quote Reply