Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How often or How much do you wear your TRI watch?
Quote | Reply
With all the data watches provide I find that I wear my watch all the time. I have the Forerunner 945 and wear it all day/night except to charge it while in the shower or to clean it after a heavy training session. I suspect many of us are obsessed with data... maybe it’s just me.
What got me thinking about this is that I noticed the other day my skin was a bit irritated under the strap. I began to think that maybe I wear the watch more than I should and not letting my skin under the band get enough fresh air. I have since then moved it the other wrist for a day or two.

Random thoughts on a long run.........
Quote Reply
Re: How often or How much do you wear your TRI watch? [trueff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
24/7 except when it's charging. I mean it's a watch. Other people wear non-tri watches 24/7 so I don't see what the big deal is.

That said I got a pretty rad watch tan going on so I should probably take it off next time I'm at the beach.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
24/7 except when it's charging. I have the Fenix 5s but got the version that comes with a suede strap and the silicone one. I try and only wear the silicone strap for workouts. I was actually just looking at the stainless steel straps as an alternative to the silicone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I run, when I swim and occasionally when I bike (but usually only if brick planned). And, sometimes when I lift just to track time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trueff wrote:
With all the data watches provide I find that I wear my watch all the time. I have the Forerunner 945 and wear it all day/night except to charge it while in the shower or to clean it after a heavy training session. I suspect many of us are obsessed with data... maybe it’s just me.
What got me thinking about this is that I noticed the other day my skin was a bit irritated under the strap. I began to think that maybe I wear the watch more than I should and not letting my skin under the band get enough fresh air. I have since then moved it the other wrist for a day or two.

Random thoughts on a long run.........

Do you wear it to track HR or? Otherwise i dont see why you would wear it e.g. at home?

I wear mine when swimming/runnning/fitness and sometimes wear it for biking just as a backup/to see time of day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear mine all day but take it off at bedtime.

I like having it on while at work to get notifications without having to pull a phone out of my pocket.

I don’t need all the bells and whistles of an Apple Watch and like that my garmin stays charged for a week or better, even with all the workouts I do.

I need to try using the vibrate alarm system again. My phone alarm has been waking up one of kids when I get up to train early in the mornings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Workouts only. Have other expensive watches that require some wrist time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started wearing my Garmin 935 daily mainly because ai started taking on climbing a lot of stairs and found it was more accurate than the Apple Watch. Just curious if others noticed if the stairs climbed/altitude starting becoming less accurate after all day/daily use? I though I caught a conversation somewhere where some peeps were discussing it. I do see flights of stairs skipped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear my Timex Ironman watch all day, every day.
Quote Reply
Re: How often or How much do you wear your TRI watch? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like seeing my HR, pulse ox, tracking steps and sleep among other things. I realize all the measurements aren’t perfect, but I am interested in the data and trends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear my good old Timex IM watch 24/7. Mostly just to tell time and check the date, but also to time track Intervals and sometimes swim Intervals.

I wear my Garmin 920XT when I go for a training ride or run. I’ll also wear it for a race. It’s sort of neat to see where I went (or at least where it thinks I went) during an open water swim.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: How often or How much do you wear your TRI watch? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably wear it too much... for races! I sit there in transition changing modes... has cost me time in short races. But, on the other hand it has saved me when timing mats didn't read my chip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only wear my Swatch during racing and training... Sometimes the faceguard gets stuck in my wetsuit though...
Last edited by: GoJohnnyGo: Aug 18, 19 11:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello trueff and All,

Garmin 945 ... Worn all the time .... Like you ..... I had some skin irritation from constant wear and now I alternate wrists each 24 hours or so.

My case of skin irritation may not be typical as I have had some collagen depletion with the passing of time and ultraviolet exposure.

My original Fenix was too cumbersome to wear all the time ... but the 925 form factor is just like a 'regular watch'.

I only use what I want of the 945 capabilities and do not concern myself with the unused capability that I know is there.

I think there is a market for 'Device 101' classes ... but for present YouTube https://www.youtube.com/ works for many applications .... but I think there is room for more device coaching.

Hopefully AI will become ubiquitous and solve this 'gaposis' (yes it is a word) we have with our all our time consuming devices .... which seems to be driving a backlash against a tidal wave of 'evidence based' data.

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/?s=data

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
24/7

Garmin Fenix 5x Plus

I need to track sleep patterns. Pulse Ox was useful in training for Boulder this year.

Also, I heavily rely on it for calories burned. 3500 or 4000 in a day is one thing, but when you start hitting 5000, 6000+, it’s nice to see how many calories roughly you will need to eat. It helps me greatly.

Also, I do 2/days and 3/days sometimes and use the battery heavily on GPS mode - this watch had the biggest battery I could find (32hrs GPS mode).

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Daily Driver

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Fenix 5s and I wear it constantly, as long as it isn't charging. It's comfortable, and I actually look at the data to guide decisions about working out.
Quote Reply
Re: How often or How much do you wear your TRI watch? [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a 920XT and only wore if for workouts. Too ugly. Just got a Fenix5s and wear it all the time. I do take it off at bedtime though. When I was a little kid, I remember my father telling me to take the watch off when I went to bed or I'd get lint from my bedsheets under the glass. Started wearing his old dive watch when I was 10 so I took it off every night and have been doing that with every watch since out of habit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear it all day expect with sleeping. Picked up the Fenix 5X Plus DLC so looks like a fashion watch and get lots complements daily on it. Best of both worlds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never in the pool

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FR920XT - only working out/racing. Rarely otherwise. I also have a Suunto Spartan Trainer Wrist HR. I use this only for travel - it's nice to leave the chest strap at home. This one is small enough to wear as an 'everyday' watch and I do that a bit. But not to sleep and 80% just for working out...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just training and racing. What kind of data are you obsessed with during a non-workout part of the day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
always

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been doing much running or cycling lately, but when I do I'll wear it for run and bike probably 50% of the time, and almost never for the swim. I did wear it for last weeks open water swim so I could measure the course.

never in the pool.

Pretty much it's a race only device.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About as much as I wear a watch with a calculator on it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next