Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How often do you drink Gatorade/sports Drink?
Quote | Reply
I started to have a Gatorade daily if I am working out. The amount of sugar is probably bad for me.

I was just curious how often others take "sports drinks."
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you drink Gatorade/sports Drink? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just for some easy training days or rides. Serious training days (long or intense) I use Infinit However, did a duathlon this past weekend & used it (Gatorade Endurance Formula) instead of my Infinit custom (I was out of it)...very pukey feeling entire race, GI issues. Yeah, need to order some INFINIT.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you drink Gatorade/sports Drink? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raceday's only. Maybe a few race sims in the 2-3 weeks leading up to raceday. Big training days, I eat real food (typically Lim's ricebars). I drink water (flavored).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t very often. If I do, I usually pour half of a 20 oz into a sports bottle and dilute it with water. Save the other half for another workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Daily, multiple times a day actually.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
I started to have a Gatorade daily if I am working out. The amount of sugar is probably bad for me.

Never
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:

All the time, but diluted with water. Gatorade is made in plenty of good colors for matching bicycles and kit...
Last edited by: HTupolev: Jul 10, 18 14:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never. Not enough calories or electrolytes to be of any real value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally during any ride over 2 h (which at least for the last few years means only a few times per year).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any ride or run >90 min I use as an opportunity to practice my hydration/nutrition strategy, of which Gatorade Endurance is part of. Anything less than 90 min and I'm just drinking water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rest days and during training days outside of the actual work- never
workouts less than 90 minutes- almost never, unless it's stupid hot or I know I'm undercaloried going into the workout
workouts more than 90 minutes- swigs every 15 minutes during the workout

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the typical metric ride, I drink one container of Gatorade G2 before our break, which is usually around mile 30 or so. Then, I refill with standard Gatorade, after drinking one bottle at the break. So depending on the heat, it usally sums up to 2&1/2 to 3 bottles (the larger ones), give or take. The good thing is that Gatorade is almost always on sale for a good price.
Last edited by: NealH: Jul 10, 18 15:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much every day, often multiple times a day. I like to train with whatever is gonna be on course, which is usually Gatorade. plus I know I can buy it cheap at every gas station in America, so I don’t have to carry all my fuel for long rides. I’m lucky in that my stomach tolerates it well, I know some have GI issues with Gatorade but I find it much easier on me than solids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyday! Usually, if it is not beer, gatorade is my glass. Between my wife and I (I probably drink 3-4:1), I make up a gallon every other day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I quit drinking Gatorade years ago and switched to G2. I'm buying more of the clear stuff that has no food coloring. I hate drinking plain water, but will if that's all there is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This season I've switched to drinking 12-16oz of Gatorade for my recovery drink after my short/easier workouts. Sometimes, that means two servings in a day, sometimes zero. Buying the powder, it's cheaper than just about anything else out there, and I don't think all the other more expensive drinks make a difference. Longer/harder days I make a juice/fruit/protein smoothie with added sugar.

I can tolerate Gatorade while riding and over to the run, but generally not during the run. That said, I usually just do water and gel during.
Last edited by: nash031: Jul 10, 18 18:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatorade Endurance? Or the standard gatorade you buy at the grocery store/gas station.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
I started to have a Gatorade daily if I am working out. The amount of sugar is probably bad for me. I was just curious how often others take "sports drinks."

If we include defizzed Coke/Mtn Dew/Root Beer/etc as "sports drinks", then i consume these 365 days/yr, generally 2-3 times per day. Defizzed soda is my go-to recovery drink. Been doing this for about 32 yrs, ever since i learned that defizzed Coke is usually served at long tri's and marathons. I keep two open containers in frig at all times, usually on Coke and the other Mtn Dew. As long as you're burning off the calories, no problem. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually only on race days or long rides. My go to hydration is Greater Than Sports Drink. Owned by one of my friends but the stuff tastes great, only 50 calories, and very low sugar content. Not sure where you are but they’re in Mariano’s and other grocery stores around the Midwest. Let me know if you have any questions about it!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only when I have a monster hangover.

Tried straight Gatorade in a (sprint) race once, ended up with massive stomach cramps on the run. Way too sweet, though the sugar makeup of Australian stuff is probably different to USA's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to drink a Gatorade bottle during every workout but stopped when my trainer at boot camp told me how much sugar is in it ...

I now mix a sports powder (low sugar) or a NUUN tablet with water and drink it for any work out over 30 mins (during and after). I get migraine headaches if I don’t rehydrate with electrolytes etc.

My friend trains for Ironman and uses SIS powder mixed with water.
Last edited by: snail: Jul 10, 18 23:52
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you drink Gatorade/sports Drink? [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drink it on every ride. Indoor and outdoors.
Esp outdoors, if i don't - I have a massive headache. I've found that gatorade kind of helps to alleviate that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much only when racing, or when practicing nutrition for a race.

Other than that I try to avoid the stuff. It's sugary, it tastes crap, it rots your teeth, it's expensive, and I invariably end up with a sticky bike (sticky hands, sticky legs, sticky bottles, etc). Any training session less than 2 hours I find I don't really need nutrition during it as long as I've eaten beforehand. Longer than that and the intensity is normally low enough to take on some real food, or at least some cereal bars or similar. If I do need hits of sugar during training I prefer to go with a bag of tangy Haribo, cola bottles or jelly babies. Tastier, cheaper, less messy, and I wash them down with water so they don't rot my teeth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not drunk any for over ten years now. If I train over 3 hours I take some gels for the calories. But always train and race on water.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you drink Gatorade/sports Drink? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
patentattorney wrote:
I started to have a Gatorade daily if I am working out. The amount of sugar is probably bad for me. I was just curious how often others take "sports drinks."

If we include defizzed Coke/Mtn Dew/Root Beer/etc as "sports drinks", then i consume these 365 days/yr, generally 2-3 times per day. Defizzed soda is my go-to recovery drink. Been doing this for about 32 yrs, ever since i learned that defizzed Coke is usually served at long tri's and marathons. I keep two open containers in frig at all times, usually on Coke and the other Mtn Dew. As long as you're burning off the calories, no problem. :)

In a long Tri they also serve salted chips/crisps and jelly babies. I've always assumed the idea is that we are often fed up with normal sports nutrition late in the race and anything that your body fancies at that stage will get you some calories, lift your mood and might just get you to the end. But that doesn't make it good nutrition. 2-3 sugary drinks would be about 70-100g of sugar? That is a big spike of refined, simple carbs.

Knowing ST I may be replying to an amazing age group triathlete or ex-professional. But surely more complex carbs and some protein is going to be better for recovery? During training I'm like others, up to and around an hour - water or water with something like zero cal, longer training add in some carbs.

Each to their own but just because it's given out during a long tri shouldn't be an endorsement.
Last edited by: OddSlug: Jul 16, 18 5:16
Quote Reply

Prev Next