Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How often do you do brick sessions? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I run after just about every ride. I like to run after riding.

Sometimes I ride for 45-60 min before a run just to warm up.

I am very much the same. At least thats the way my coach has been scheduling things recently.

I have found that I run FASTER off of a short bike warmup as compared to a short run warmup.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you do brick sessions? [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to know, how many of you guys have ran a sub 3 hour IM marathon or are IM World Champions?
I guess I just have a different way of training.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you do brick sessions? [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
I would like to know, how many of you guys have ran a sub 3 hour IM marathon or are IM World Champions?

In the context of my original question, I'm more than content with that answer being zero. I asked about, and really only care about, Olympic distance events. I presume there's a substantially different training strategy between the two distances.

Edit: said differently, I'd be much more interested to know who runs sub 38min 10k off the bike, rather than who has even completed an IM.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Last edited by: domingjm: Aug 13, 18 22:18
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you do brick sessions? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I run after just about every ride. I like to run after riding.

Sometimes I ride for 45-60 min before a run just to warm up.

I do almost no bricks, but when I do run off the trainer it's always a lot faster than just a straight run without a warm-up.

Its not quite the same in a race though, as whenever I run off a real ride my shins light up for the first couple of miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote]I'd be much more interested to know who runs sub 38min 10k off the bike, rather than who has even completed an IM. [/quote]

That being said the training for Oly's isn't that much different compared to IM's. Triathlon is an endurance sports and endurance sports tend to reward those who can do the most volume and mix in a bit of intensity. Since it's an endurance sport your aerobic capacity is paramount. Figure out how to become a better runner and your run splits in triathlon will tend to become better as well, as long as you don't screw the pooch in the S/B portions of the race.

Some other food for thought, many triathletes who really struggle in the swim reduce their chances of having a good run (and race) by being a crappy swimmer.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m confused. Are you saying you do bricks? Or, are you just finding a way to say you are a sub 3 hour IM world champ?

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you do brick sessions? [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t run unless I do a bike first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
danstu4 wrote:

In the context of my original question, I'm more than content with that answer being zero. I asked about, and really only care about, Olympic distance events. I presume there's a substantially different training strategy between the two distances.

Edit: said differently, I'd be much more interested to know who runs sub 38min 10k off the bike, rather than who has even completed an IM.

I run sub 40 min...not at 38 yet.

But I do believe the running off the bike consistently has helped.

Would you look at that....trainingpeaks was updated for today....what does the coach have on the schedule?

Bike Baird -3 TrainerRoad
Followed by...
Run 1 hour Z2 with some stride work.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Aug 14, 18 12:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
I don’t run unless I do a bike first.

Wow! You can't argue with this guy. He wins races. Bring on the peanut butter sandwiches and bricks!
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you do brick sessions? [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
domingjm wrote:
danstu4 wrote:

I don't do bricks, I need to though. Just hard with kids sometimes. What's the science behind running off the bike? Got a few mates who practically halved their run volume, only ran off the bike, rode lots and their running went through the roof.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you do brick sessions? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
domingjm wrote:
danstu4 wrote:

I don't do bricks, I need to though. Just hard with kids sometimes. What's the science behind running off the bike? Got a few mates who practically halved their run volume, only ran off the bike, rode lots and their running went through the roof.

I am familiar with your situation. I also have young kids (5 & 3).

I cannot speak to the science...but I can speak to the results.

I just celebrated my 1 year anniversary of racing triathlon on the 12th. I started out running about two years before that and completed 3 marathons along the way. 3:54, 3:53, 3:31...as you can see, I was not very fast.

Over the last year my coach has worked with my on finding a regiment and training amount that works for me and my personal commitments (family, work, etc.). I have settled on 8-12 hours of working out a week...that means we have to make everything count! We have been focusing on building mostly my bike power, and increase my running speed. I already had a reasonable endurance base from the distance running...and to be honest...some natural ability to endure that I have always had. The swim is only happening 1 day a week on Sundays. That is our family swim day. We train with swim bands 7 days a week as well to keep my shoulders strong. The goal is to maintain my swim fitness and speed. I was never a swimmer growing up and really am still learning. I swim 1500 meters in the range of 23-27 mins depending on wet suit legality and if I am trying to do too much which leads to me being slower.

Anyway, back the the bricks. The last few races my coach has had me hammer the bike and "let the run take care of itself". Over the course of a few months of consistent bricks I have been able to get to sub 40 min 10k's off of the bike (I have done three olys and one sprint in the last two months). I ease into the runs and negative split them. I want to be able to out sprint someone at the end it that is what it comes down to. I have also noticed a correlation between my cadence and my running. The higher the cadence I hold the better I am running off of the bike. I have been shooting for 92-97 on my cadence. If I am in the 80's my run is typically shit.

I don't know if any of this is helpful. I know its a buttload of rambling. Let me sum it up:

• Make the time you have count. Higher intensity is probably a good thing if you have a base and have some injury resistance. I am finding more and more that my body can take a whole hell of a lot more training without getting injured.
  • Do things that you are going to be doing in a race. Bricks off of the bike are an example of that. I know that Sebastian Kienle's favorite workout is R/B/R/B/R/B/R. He doesn't give details...but I am sure its epic and useful. In fact, a very good pro who belongs to my local tri club only works out 10 hours a week and is a sub 4 hour HIM guy. He told me that its the long hard efforts that you put in that will teach you about yourself and give the most gains. The short little 45 min workouts are not worth as much...but they do MAINTAIN fitness
  • Becoming an EXPERT in one sport is much harder than becoming above average in all three. I like to do a focus on either the bike or the run...but do the brick. For example, today was interval training where I went 120-130% of FTP for 12 intervals and followed up my workout with stride work and zone 2 running for 1 hour. Another type of workout that is assigned is say a 2.5 hour bike followed by a tempo run (I believe I am using that term correctly) where I am running my HIM race pace for 40-70 mins.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you do brick sessions? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd largely agree with this. I don't do bricks at all. I used to, but not anymore. If anything, it reduces the quality of my run post bike, when I should be fueling/recovering. If I want a brick, I do a race. I know what it feels like to run post-bike, so it's not teaching/training me for anything I don't know already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thanks for that Trifun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much all the time.

I usually do one of the following:
20-30 High Cadence spin, before transitioning in to a medium or long run
or
60-120 minute Bike workout before transitioning to a short or medium run.

I often find, that the Bike (acting as a warm up) really helps my run.
When I 'just go for a run'' i find it often takes a long time for my body to warm up, and get to a pace i'm targeting for in that session.

For example, off the back of a warm up bike, I can easily get straight in to a 6:30min/mile pace on the run in no time, and hold that pace for a 40-60 min tempo.

If i was to do the same without a spin/warm up, it would take me atleast 15-20minutes to get to that target pace. I will also find it harder to hold.

Added bonus is frequency. I get that that in abundance following this method of training, and may even do a R/B/R sessions every now and then for the fun of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

I am familiar with your situation. I also have young kids (5 & 3).

I cannot speak to the science...but I can speak to the results.

I just celebrated my 1 year anniversary of racing triathlon on the 12th. I started out running about two years before that and completed 3 marathons along the way. 3:54, 3:53, 3:31...as you can see, I was not very fast.

Over the last year my coach has worked with my on finding a regiment and training amount that works for me and my personal commitments (family, work, etc.). I have settled on 8-12 hours of working out a week...that means we have to make everything count! We have been focusing on building mostly my bike power, and increase my running speed. I already had a reasonable endurance base from the distance running...and to be honest...some natural ability to endure that I have always had. The swim is only happening 1 day a week on Sundays. That is our family swim day. We train with swim bands 7 days a week as well to keep my shoulders strong. The goal is to maintain my swim fitness and speed. I was never a swimmer growing up and really am still learning. I swim 1500 meters in the range of 23-27 mins depending on wet suit legality and if I am trying to do too much which leads to me being slower.

Anyway, back the the bricks. The last few races my coach has had me hammer the bike and "let the run take care of itself". Over the course of a few months of consistent bricks I have been able to get to sub 40 min 10k's off of the bike (I have done three olys and one sprint in the last two months). I ease into the runs and negative split them. I want to be able to out sprint someone at the end it that is what it comes down to. I have also noticed a correlation between my cadence and my running. The higher the cadence I hold the better I am running off of the bike. I have been shooting for 92-97 on my cadence. If I am in the 80's my run is typically shit.

I don't know if any of this is helpful. I know its a buttload of rambling. Let me sum it up:

• Make the time you have count. Higher intensity is probably a good thing if you have a base and have some injury resistance. I am finding more and more that my body can take a whole hell of a lot more training without getting injured.
  • Do things that you are going to be doing in a race. Bricks off of the bike are an example of that. I know that Sebastian Kienle's favorite workout is R/B/R/B/R/B/R. He doesn't give details...but I am sure its epic and useful. In fact, a very good pro who belongs to my local tri club only works out 10 hours a week and is a sub 4 hour HIM guy. He told me that its the long hard efforts that you put in that will teach you about yourself and give the most gains. The short little 45 min workouts are not worth as much...but they do MAINTAIN fitness
  • Becoming an EXPERT in one sport is much harder than becoming above average in all three. I like to do a focus on either the bike or the run...but do the brick. For example, today was interval training where I went 120-130% of FTP for 12 intervals and followed up my workout with stride work and zone 2 running for 1 hour. Another type of workout that is assigned is say a 2.5 hour bike followed by a tempo run (I believe I am using that term correctly) where I am running my HIM race pace for 40-70 mins.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Interesting perspective. I had a friend that raced on the Timex team for a little while and told me to just ride if I was looking to shave time and if I was going to run, just twice and both off the bike. At the time...this would have been NYC Tri...I was trying to put my GF in a spot to get on the podium for the Athena Division and I wanted a PR...well she got into a car accident and stopped training and then I broke my clavicle so we deferred. We also didn't take this advice. How many of your rides are on a trainer? Because I'm just trying to imagine when I'd have to get up?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am only doing specific bricks to increase the length of time in a training day. Example being my slandered IM build specific Saturdays: R/B/R allowing me to achieve a 5-6.5 hour workout period. Otherwise I have seen my running speed / ability to hold speed over the course of entire race be directly effected by my total time I have spent running overall if its a a brick or standalone run. When I started racing 5-6 years ago I felt like I needed the bricks more to get used to that heavy leg feeling off the bike.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you do brick sessions? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
99% on the trainer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do I do bricks?

I find I evolve best with only two high intensity sessions a week. The rest is easy, steady and moderate. So I could have one hard bike and one hard run session.

But as well as Duathlons I also compete in running/mountainrunning. So running workouts are mor important for me than bike workouts.
I will do one hard standalone running session a week. After the hard bike workout I will usually add a bit of harder running or I do a multi brick r-b-r(-b-r) session. That way I get two days with a bit of faster running.

But I think it is not all that important and I guess you develop the legs better with standalone running or biking sessions.

And I would say the importance of bricks decreases the longer the race.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try to do at least 2 brick sessions per week. Specifically when I train for Olympic Distance tris, these sessions prove to be a key to get used to the feeling off jelly legs off the bike. I would recommend getting the brick sessions to simulate race conditions as close as possible. That means starting to run off the bike immediately (within a couple of minutes). Lingering around reduces the effect of jelly legs, which is the whole point of doing bricks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyday usually while training for IM. UP
AT 4:30a for work so afternoons are my time. I also have a runstreak dating back to 2013...

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you do brick sessions? [Vilen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vilen wrote:
I try to do at least 2 brick sessions per week. Specifically when I train for Olympic Distance tris, these sessions prove to be a key to get used to the feeling off jelly legs off the bike. I would recommend getting the brick sessions to simulate race conditions as close as possible. That means starting to run off the bike immediately (within a couple of minutes). Lingering around reduces the effect of jelly legs, which is the whole point of doing bricks.

So if we're talking Olympic, will you do the full 6.2 at a race pace effort, or something else?

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost never.

I used to run short off the bike 2-3x per week on weekdays because it's time efficient, not because I was seeking any particular training effect.
I have since rearranged my schedule and don't do them anymore. I feel that the quality of my runs increased, in the sense that I can run with fresher legs and therefore with better posture, form, etc.

I, do however, run after biking on weekends but with a break between the two sessions. I also feel that I run better after warming up with a bike session.

Saturday I usually ride long, go home, get breakfast, rest for 30min-1h on the couch and then do a short run before lunch.
Sunday I ride for 1h-1h30 easy, breakfast, rest a bit and do my long run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhere around 20 minutes is plenty. I usually run 5K at 7:30min/mile which is 23 minutes. Sometimes I go for a harder run at 6:30min/mile around 20 mins. Rarely do I run the full 6.2 miles as a brick in preparation for an Olympic tri. For a half ironman brick I do run longer.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you do brick sessions? [Vilen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you try to run after each bike session?
I train to improve run in Tri now.
I did few session last time at AT threshold and I think it helped, but max was 5k run after bike.
In the race my pace dropped exactly after 5-6k.
Will it do good if I increase run to 7-8k run at threshold ?
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you do brick sessions? [Pako] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the point of doing brick sessions isn't to improve your overall run speed, but to get used to the feeling of tired legs and perceived slow down after a fast ride. When you get off the bike on to a run you immediately feel like you are running way too slow when in fact your pace is normal. It is just that it feels slower after riding fast. These are the primary benefits of the brick sessions.

To improve your overall run speed I would focus on intervals and long runs. Those will be much more beneficial than a longer brick run.
Quote Reply

Prev Next