Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much time off can you take before you feel terrible after a workout?
Quote | Reply
I had a great year of running in 2018. I followed the BarryP plan, averaging about 40 miles per week through the season. When CX season started, I decided to keep running (as opposed to years past), so I kept going with four mile runs on non-race days, and 2-3 mile warmups before races (averaging 22-23 miles per week from labor day through mid December. When cross season ended I took 12, yes, a whopping 12 days off of running (end of season break). This past week I was still in 'off season mode', but I wanted to get moving a little bit, so I did a few short runs. Monday I did my normal four miler and felt great. Wednesday I did the same and felt fairly hobbled afterwards. Today I did the same run and my hamstring popped mid-run. Now both standing AND sitting hurt, and my hamstring is tender to the touch.

It seems obscene to me that that short break would completely reset all the running fitness I built up over the year. And it seems ridiculous that with all the mileage I did this year (about 1500 miles in total) that I would have to reset to 1-2 mile runs after such a short break to build myself up again. Do others experience this as well? How much time can you take off and then still feel 'normal' when you start again? Would you expect needing a complete reset after a break like this?

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Last edited by: CCF: Dec 29, 18 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: How much time off can you take before you feel terrible after a workout? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can usually take a 14-15 days off without feeling too bad after a run, usually zero effects from an easy run. Soreness will creep in if I push too hard though.

12 days is certainly not a long time, especially considering this article:
https://www.runnersworld.com/...en-you-stop-running/
Quote Reply
Re: How much time off can you take before you feel terrible after a workout? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the more in-shape you are before the break the worse it can be. When I was swimming 40k a week if I took 2 days off, I felt terrible when I got back in on the third day. This year, my past several MONTHS have been in the 15k range and 2 or 3 days out of the pool doesn't seem to have that same effect.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally when returning to training after some time off I'll keep everything short and easy. Thats actually the goal of each workout, so if I feel terrible I'll end it early or back it down.

Normally as I start getting back into training there's a couple of humps I'll hit. One where I'll feal nauseous at the end of around 10k runs ~70 CTL, this I can mitigate by taking a gel for a few weeks. The other is when I start feeling generally drained/weak at around 100 CTL & is resolved by fueling directly after morning runs (aka the pancake protocol).

With respect to the 'popping' hamstring, I do find that getting back into training can be a little risky, things move/tighten etc.. so when returning I'll implement a full foam rolling set after every workout. When rehabbing an injury the foam rolling can take longer than the BarryP short runs.
Quote Reply