Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much standing/walking with stress reactions in shins?
Quote | Reply
Hi, I am seeking opinions (not medical advice, just opinions) on how much standing or walking is ok if you have moderate stress reactions in both tibia. They haven't become stress fractures yet, and my doctors have all told me it is ok to work a couple days a week. I work as a waitress and at McDonald's and I had to cut back my hours because working is causing more pain. I took 10 days off completely and then went back to work a couple days a week, 4 hour shifts. I am not sure whether the working is preventing it from getting better or not, I think it's a little better but my orthopedic doctors are not really helping me figure it out. They just say its ok to work. Does anyone have any firsthand experiences or thoughts about this issue of standing and walking with stress reactions? Thank you so much for any input.
Quote Reply
Re: How much standing/walking with stress reactions in shins? [cranberry12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I had a stress fracture in one shin some years ago and have a job on my feet (restaurant). I was also told I could work but I wore a boot for a few weeks to take some pressure off.
I also would put the injured foot up on a short block while standing at work to take some weight off.

I honestly think it took a bit longer to heal b/c I am on my feet all day, but at least you got some initial time off to rest it - I am not a Dr bit I think the initial healing phase is really important?

All in all it took about three months, then I started a reeealy slow back to run program. It may be different for you as you have "reactions" not fractures. If they are bilateral I guess you can't boot them.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: How much standing/walking with stress reactions in shins? [Mrnchk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much. Did you also have soreness after your shifts and the next morning? I put the leg that is worse in a boot which does seem to help. I'm glad it does heal even while working.
Quote Reply
Re: How much standing/walking with stress reactions in shins? [cranberry12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I did, a little bit. Some soreness is considered okay from what I remember but sharp pain is not , so use that as a guide, and call the Dr if it feels worse for sure.
Quote Reply